1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

88 GT/Moore Racecraft turbo kit/Comp CT6X 88mm/AOD/Holley EFI

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by yellowpony, Nov 7, 2010.

1. yellowpony

Re: 88 GT/88mm BG Custom Turbo/AOD rebuild

I haven't got the kit yet, but Brian texted me Monday that the kit was finished along with some pics. Everything looked great! Hopefully have it by the end of the week. I also got my Holley efi with the dis kit. Got some pics of it, and also got the ecu mounted and the injector harness ran. The Holley is very nice and a stout unit. The only thing I misunderstood was that the dis works different than a cop ignition. Cop fires an individual cylinder with each coil. The dis you have 1 coil for 2 cylinders that fire 360* apart, so I am going to have to make a Plate to mount all 4 on the firewall because if not I will have plug wires everywhere and look nasty. Also, the main wiring harness is very nice, but it is a lot shorter than the xfi's. I may have to extend some wires and make some shorter. All in all quality is A+ and look forward to using it!

Anthony

2. StoopidSlow

whose alternator bracket is that? i need one exactly like it!

3. ants93notch

which ecu did you get from holley, the dominator?

4. 86turboGT

Anthony,

Congrats on the new baby! I can't wait to see this thing put together. Good Luck!

Corey

5. yellowpony

No I just got the hp. The dominator had more features than I would ever use.

Anthony

6. yellowpony

It is a march bracket I believe, it was on the car when I bought it.

86turbogt- thanks!

Anthony

7. yellowpony

Well i got the turbo kit today. I had the kit built around remflex gaskets and the ones that I ordered aren't here yet so I can't start bolting it up. There were no header bolts in the boxes so I can't bolt it up anyway to test fit. Hopefully Brian gets back to me soon so I can get this figured out. It is missing 2 v-band clamps and all the silicone connectors that Brian told me he would ship out when he got his next order in which I am fine with that but I still don't have any header bolts. I know he will take care of it, but it's kind of frustrating. I wasn't able to get any pics tonight because we had company, so I will upload tomorrow night. The 60mm wastegate is a work of art!!

Anthony

8. 1sicpny

I'm surprised your still running header gaskets. Can't
    wait to see pics

9. yellowpony

Eric, they are the remflex gaskets. They are the best and the only gaskets I have used that hold up to turbos. They are 1/4" thick and compress to 1/8". They are straight graphite.

Anthony

10. 1sicpny

I tried those percy ones for a turbo. 4dyno pulls junk.

11. yellowpony

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. yellowpony

Turbo

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. yellowpony

Wilwood rear discs

Wilwood front discs

Coldside Tubing

4" Downpipe

Passenger side header

3" Crossover

Flange

14. yellowpony

FAST Crank Trigger
    [​IMG]#ad

Holley DIS
    [​IMG]#ad

The wiring will be cleaned up when it is all done. I am making sure that everything is wired nice because i understand that the Holley EFI is extremely sensitive. The welds on the turbo kit are top notch, couldnt ask for anything better, cant wait to get it all bolted up. I converted the car over to 5 lug with strange axles and added the rear discs. Things are coming along, but garage time is limited with the newborn. The turbo is huge, i was surprised to see how big it is. The holley offers 3 rev limiters in 3 different configurations, "soft" "spark" "fuel" and I am going to wire the footbrake into one of the "soft" rev limiters with a switch so i can turn it off for street and the t-brake on the other for "spark" and 64duece is making me an ignition harness.

Anthony

15. wesson351

How did you mount the FAST crank trigger setup?? Looks schwweeeeet. I just bought the ati damper and trigger setup and was wondering on how to attach the trigger wheel.

16. yellowpony

Well, nothing is "bolt on" like it says. The bolt holes in the mounting bracket weren't b
    The right size for the bolts that the block has, so they had to be drilled out. Also, the length of the bolts is odd, soni had to cut them to size. Mounting the wheel to the balancer is easy, you don't have to use the centering ring because the flange on the ati is the perfect size, just uses the pulley bolts to hold it there!

Anthony

17. Hemann

The downpipe is 4"? That is going to be a tight fit.

Why no flex in the crossover pipe?

18. yellowpony

Being that the car isn't a daily driver there wasn't a need for a flex pipe. Also Brian said you lose spool rpm through the flex pipe due to loss of heat.

The 4" is a little tight around the valve cover, other than that, it's not as tight as you might think. I have a d&d k-member, and I guess there is a lot of room on those compared to others? Brian uses those for his mockup.

Anthony

19. mcj50

Anthony,

Glad to see you got your kit. I'm jealous of your 4 inch downpipe. I didn't realize you could fit something that big. I beat my firewall anyway after I had my fire issue.

Glad to see you are still doing "some" work with a newborn...I have one on the way and I'm scared the garage will get neglected entirely :) Congratulations and hope things are going well.

The couple of us in the tri-state area need to get together at the track in the spring and grab a few beers afterwards.

Keep us posted on the build.

My car spools a tad slower then I'd like, in competition I have to foot brake it a bit before getting into the second beam. I'm thinking some tuning in the transition area may help but your thought is right in setting up the three step.

Stabbing it on the street it is perfect because you have a tad bit of lag. The PT78 was a tire smoking nightmare on the street.

-Mike

20. yellowpony

Mike thanks for the congrats man. When is your baby due? Garage time will be neglected until you and your wife get adjusted, plus your aren't gonna want to do shit because you are so tired anyway! Everything is going great Sontag and I wouldn't change it for the world, pretty amazing!

Brian didn't realize you could fit a 4" dp in there until he built mine, he tried it, and it worked and he asked me if I wanted to be a guinea pig. Some work with your tune can help. What I am doing with mine is wiring one of the 2 steps in the Holley to the +12v on the footbrake at 3000 rpm, then the t-brake is wired to a separate one. The one for the foot brake will have a pushbutton just like the transbrake so i will have to hit it to activate, doesn't engage on the street. I got that tip from boosted coupe on here, his car leaves hard with about 12psi boost. Gonna give it a go and see what happens.

Definitely in the spring man. I can't wait to get this thing out there and get some passes. Let's plan something when the weather breaks.

Take care man!

Anthony