1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

86 GT... MPT76 BT .....aka SMOKEY ....... New Videos!!! 6-15-10

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 86turboGT, Nov 28, 2009.

1. 73maro511TT

Well the BOV works on vacuum. Its reference point must be under the throttle blades of the carb to work properly. If it is referenced to the Hat, you will be able to close the throttle and the BOV will never operate because there is still positive pressure in the hat.

You can reference your wastegate there, but the only part of you system that will be seeing 6 or 8 psi ( whatever the wastegate spring is) is the scroll of the turbo. As soon as there is enough pressure to open that wastegate its going to open no matter what the pressure is in the rest of your system. If you have 8 psi at the turbo, after the air goes through the intercooler and all that pipe, it might only be 4 at the carb hat. You want your wastegate referenced as close to the carb as possible so if your wastegate is set at 8, you get a TRUE 8 pounds of boost at the carb.

Had issues with a Cat diesel in one of my semi's a few years ago and like your setup the wastegate was referenced off the compressor. Engine was supposed to be 475 hp and 1850 tq, but would only put down 405 hp and 1700 tq. i was missing 50 horsepower and 125 lb feet at the wheels. Wastegate was set at 36 psi, but the intake manifold was only seeing 27. After being told the same thing i told you about moving the reference point of the wastegate, i saw the full 36 psi at the manifold and picked up my missing power.

Trust me, All the other guys reading this will agree that your wastegate needs to be referenced at your hat, no matter what those instructions say.

2. 86turboGT

I typed that wrong the bov is on the intake and the fpr is on the hat. I understand what you ate saying. I'll have the try that.

3. Djstorm100

Where do you get the stuff for the lines to keep heat away?

4. jaredsamurai

I'm gonna be doin an evac system on my car here shortly. Just a couple Q's. How far in did you stick the slash cut tip into the exhaust? What kind of hose do you have connected to it? Are you not running a check valve on it? Have you put a vac gauge on it to see how much it pulls? Does it suck any at idle? Thanks

5. 86turboGT

i stuck the slash in there aprox. 3/4" i used the check valve off of my factory smog stuff.......i was just talking about putting a vacuum gauge on it today. i do know that I made the hardest pull yet since i put it on and the dip stick stayed in and no oil came out of the breather on the other valve cover (like it did before). It didnt smoke out the exhaust either.

[​IMG]#ad

6. GSTEWART

That is some really good fab work.

7. 86turboGT

Re: 86 GT... MPT76 BT .....aka SMOKEY ....... New Videos!!! 10-4-10

pushed on it in 1st. WOT 2nd and 3rd. AFR 10.5 9psi only turned it about 40006000rpm :doh: (if that tach is right)The tach was programmed wrong) so it was up against the chip when the tach was reading 3900! lol :D

The little bit of smoke you see is from the intake gasket that started leaking (dripping on header) before the evac setup!

Sounds better with headphones

8. jaywill

NASTEEE!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

9. yellowpony

Awesome!

Anthony

10. 73maro511TT

Did you move the reference point for your wastegate?

11. 86turboGT

Nah, not yet! I think my boost gauge may be crap!

12. 86turboGT

Well i just figured out that my tach was wrong! I knew it sounded like i was turning it more than 4000rpms :doh: when reading 3990 on the tach it was up against the 6000rpm chip.

:chacha: im even more excited now because dang it gets up there fast :D

13. blown385

I love it . Sounds like its working great . :chacha:

14. 86turboGT

thanks man! Ive got lazy on it the past couple of weeks. Time to get back to work!

15. 86turboGT

well my dad got a hood on the car and took the car out to the local (Oakboro, NC) cruise-in last night! All went well on the 40 round trip! oh yeah i checked the gas mileage on the last tank of gas and it didnt do too bad (13mpg) getting into boost every other straight stretch with the 4 speed and the 4.10 gears.

[​IMG]#ad

here is a little clip I took today with my cell phone! The car wasnt up to temp yet so its just a touch of the 4barrel and 4000rpms.

16. 86turboGT

Just a little update. I stated building my rear end today.

33 spline strange
    spool
    3.27's

I finally made a full 3rd gear WOT pull. the AFR's were in the upper 10's. it pulled really hard from about 3500 all the way and at the top of the gear and about 5500 it started breaking the tires loose and bounced off the rev limiter at 6600. :chacha: Making pretty big power up top i think!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. 86turboGT

got the rear end back together today....wow what a difference going back to 3.27! i love them. cruises about 2500 (57mph) 4th gear.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. mustangcobra438

19. 86turboGT

thanks

20. 86turboGT

Got my car weighed yesterday! I'm excited because it only weighs 2870 without me!