1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

86 GT... MPT76 BT .....aka SMOKEY ....... New Videos!!! 6-15-10

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 86turboGT, Nov 28, 2009.

1. yellowpony

Corey, glad you have it all buttoned up and running good. Your cruise air fuel is extremely rich, you should be somewhere between 13.5-14.6 cruising. You can run into serious problems with a cruise air fuel that rich, getting fuel in the oil and washing the cylinders down, and ruining bearings. Your wide open air fuel is also getting into the danger zone for pump gas, especially at 12.4. Try and get it to 11.4-11.5 wot. Idle air fuel is fine. Take care man.

Anthony

2. 86turboGT

thanks man,

im going to work on that this weekend and see if i cant get it figured out. i havent drove it much, maybe 5 miles or so. I guess i will take some jet out of the front and add some in the back and see what happens. if that dont have an effect then i will start messing with the air bleeds. thanks for the heads up.

Luckly just to be on the safe side for tuning sake im running 50/50 mix off 116 and 93 octane

good to here from ya.

3. Tanus

nice build!

what did you do with the old stainless hotside?

4. 86turboGT

Still got it. do you want? Pm me

5. 86turboGT

Re: 86 GT... MPT76 BT .....aka SMOKEY ....... tunning 8-1-10!!!

Aright i got the car out today. Change the jets to 76 and 96's. Afr @idle is 14.2 cruise is 13.2 and wot is 11.7.

I only pushed on it in 3rd running about 40mph and got those numbers. It was breakin up pretty bad so i let out of it at 4000 rpms. It was only pushing about 4lbs? of boost and was leaving some pretty black marks. :chacha: i believe it runs better now than with the 175 shot before.

i should get my new plug wires by wed, hopefully that will fix the skip.

6. conbread

sounds good, glad to see it coming around for you..Give her hell :cheers:

7. yellowpony

Corey glad you go it going, those a/f numbers look great now! What are your plugs gapped at? Mine are .025, if you have a good ignition it should have no problem firing. If you are waiting on new plugs wires, this would be a good time to check all that stuff! You are gonna have a blast with that thing once she really makes some boost.

Anthony

8. 86turboGT

i have them gapped around .28-.30 for now. i plan on closing them before going into REAL boost.

9. cycle252

make sure you have a good coil as well, a sucky coil and bad wires with too big a plug gap screams blow-out. Dont know if i missed it but what do you have ign wise? scratch that saw you are running a dig 6, so what coil?

10. 86turboGT

its a new msd blaster. thanks for the heads up.....

im picking up some kind of high temp silicone sleeve tomorrow that will slide over 9mm wires and is good for 500 degrees direct heat and 1200 radiant. hopefully those will do the job. they say the give the wire an extra 8000V worth of insulation. The new wires should be here by wed.

11. 86turboGT

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. 86turboGT

the more i drive my car the more i think the wastegate is opening to soon. (i havent checked to see what spring is in it) from inside the car i cant here the turbo at all.....AS SOON AS it starts making boost it gets really loud and drowns out the turbo. you can tell the noise is from up front and not coming out of the muffler. It will go up to about 7lbs but im beginning to think that most of that is creep....don t know for sure. im going to have to pull the wastegate off and dissect it.

13. jaywill

nice :2thumbs: do u still have your old hot side :huh:

14. 86turboGT

yes. U want it? Pm me.

15. 86turboGT

I got some new plug wires and wrapped them in some heat wrap that is made for plug wires. We decided that we would run the intercooler piping under the fender and out the cowl instead of over the headers to try and cut down on the IAT.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

the new sleeved wires

[​IMG]#ad

16. 86turboGT

here is the pictures of it just ruffed in.....still got to weld a few spots and but some brackets on it.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. 86turboGT

its keeps pushing oil out the dipstick so i guess i will run a evac system.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. conbread

thats a great idea on the cold side.....i would try to weld as much of the pipe as you could..Looking great..

19. 86turboGT

we are going to weld as much as we can and brace the other to the chassis. there will be more pics to come.

thanks

20. 86turboGT

i got a few things done this week.

i got the bung welded in the valve cover for the evac.

this is the first time welding aluminum! Maybe its not to ugly!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

got some of the pipe welded up. my dad engineeered a bracket to hold the pipes together under the cowl so we could still remove it as nessasary but we wouldnt have to worry about it blowing off.....we are just going to put a coupling between the brackets to seal it without welding it together.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad