1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

85 Mustang GT

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Briansshop, Apr 9, 2007.

1. johnarmymp552

That car is bad ass. I love the valve covers.

2. Mustangbrad94gt

Hey Brian, have you had a chance to make a pass yet?

3. Briansshop

^ Nope, no track time yet. Took the car to the Ocean City,MD Spring Cruise and all was good. Put about 130 miles on it. No temperature or charging issues. :2thumbs: Still don't have the boost control nailed down yet but getting better. It's not bad on a slow roll, hits 10-11 psi, but if I mat the pedal, it spikes to 15-16 psi still before coming down. Once that is sorted out,I'll be out of excuses...at least CAR excuses!

My daughter just graduated HS so I'll be busy with that for a while.

Liking the water injection. On the data logs,I can see the AITs come down as soon as it comes on.

4. botietr

Brian,,car came out killa.you should be very proud of the work you've done on it. attention to detail is the first thing on my mind and i can see its the same with you. it should be a beast once you get it dialed in. have fun!!!

5. Briansshop

Thanks a lot Bruce. Did I hear right? You're getting away from the semi controlled leak they call a carb and going EFI? :chacha:

6. botietr

Yeah,,I'm going to the dark side.just never did understand computers and have a learning curb, ill get someone to tune it and i think i may be able to figure it out from there.

7. Briansshop

The hard part is getting all up and running... cranking fuel,cold start,idle junk,...actually starting and staying running when you hit the key switch. The tuning is easy. You might want to try it yourself first.

8. botietr

I have a start up tune..i bought it off of Chris (injected65) . he sold the car and the new owner was more comfortable with a BS3, so Chris kept it. i bought it from Chris. our combos are pretty close so he left the tune in it. im hoping to start it next week.

9. bumblebee

I see that you are using intake studs...
    Do you have part# for them?

Otherwise the car is so clean it's insane!
    Really nice :2thumbs:

10. Briansshop

Thanks,Bee

Here's the studs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-354-2103/

They make it really easy to set the intake without messing the gasket placement up. AND , I'm sure you also read in the paper work from AFR, they recommended not using a torque wrench on the intake, and "just snug it down not too tight",do to the possibility of pulling the threads in the heads. With the studs, I torqued down the intake like normal.

Also used studs on the headers for the same reason: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-100-1404/

11. bumblebee

Thanks man!

I was thinking the same thing about the torque, on my previous engine the intake bolt got loose all the time, studs may help with that also!

12. jtmustang

I havent been on in a while and was keeping up with it, i just reread it all, great build man.. :2thumbs:

13. TWNWHR

Been a "busy" day here at work and I read the whole thread. Car is incredible man. Like others have said, your attention to detail and fab skills are awesome. I love that G4R. Im currently working on a 72mm setup on my H/C/I car with a Faceplated TKO. I CANT WAIT to bang gears under boost

Any updates? A dyno pull? A pass at the track yet?

14. Briansshop

^^ Thanks,TWNWHR. The trans IS a blast,love it! Glad to hear someone is going turbo and Man trans. No updates really. Drove it to a local cruise/show and played w/the boost control a little,but that's it. This east coast heat and humidity is killer. Too nasty to be outside!

15. Dooger

Hey now I'm out there rowing gears also....LOL. TKO 500 on boost. I hear ya Brian on the heat, came home from my honeymoon in June to get my ride out here in Michigan and was a consistant 100 plus with high humidity. It was like the hottest June/July in Michigan's history so I feel like my summer's been robbed with the car. My ride doesn't like the high temps. It's been great following your build.

16. skip

Hey Brian what an awesome awesome build. I really like the fact that you got a lot of pictures. So anything new to your ride or your son's ride? What you couldn't get your daughter a mustang also? LOL I'm going to teach my daughter the right way. LOL

17. Terminator-Fox

Wow what a kickass build! I love the car and the attention to detail you've done. :bow:

18. Briansshop

Drove the car a few times before the holidays and still can't get the FAST boost control nailed down.:bah:Put a 9psi spring in the gate and leaving it for now. The streets have been salted around here so have to wait for spring.

Santa brought me a set of Proform scales. One of the scales is a little goofy so they're getting returned. Was able to get a decent idea on the F/R,and corner weights though. Car is 2680lbs....we'll see if the track scale backs that up. Pretty happy w/that but would have preferred closer to 2600lbs.

Loving the lift. Made using the scales quick and easy.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Opened up the doors to see if I had the heavy side impact bars...yup. So started taking them out.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Got the pass side cut loose inside the door. Now the hard part - cutting up small enough to get it out. The dam latch is in the way, the screws that hold it in are so tight I can't break em loose!

19. 3pedals

Awesome build! I'm jealous of your ability to fab everything so clean looking, and Im LOVIN the Gforce 4 speed! I can t wait to see how well it runs for you at the track. I'm putting a turbo setup on my camaro this winter, and I run a Nash 5 speed, your vids are exactly how mine drives!, I cant wait to run it this summer with the turbo

20. Briansshop

Thanks! ^^^ That's nice your going turbo/stick... kinda rare around here,or anywhere actually. Do a build thread!