1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

82 Fairmont, 5.3/zr1cam/80mm/4l80e 9.95@141!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by denmah, Jan 20, 2012.

1. denmah

[​IMG]#ad

2. 73Runabout

Your table looks nice. I've always had best luck using as little of ignition lead as possible. For the sake of making it live I would drop your 250 kpa row to 13 deg and the 300kpa row to 8 deg. You may be surprised at how little if any power it loses and it MIGHT stay together. :)

Also what plugs are you running? I see you are now using non projected now which is a step in the right direction. I would use a 9 or 10 NGK heat range. I personally run Autolite race plugs which have a really nice wide ground strap. I believe autolite has a cross reference deal on their website for the NGK to race plugs.

Regards,
    Tony R.

3. denmah

here is a datalog of the pull when i broke the pistons

[​IMG]#ad

4. denmah

yeah i was just gunna knock 2 deg out of the thing from 200kpa and up, just like you said, my turbo D series honda only ran 7 deg at 25psi. otherwise this would happen, but there would be obvious marks on the pistons. it was pumpgas no methanol.

i should have a few pistons coming so ill keep trying, we will all learn from my mistakes.
    i dont mind sharing them lol

5. MONTEGOD7SS

Long term detonation you might see in the pistons, but with it breaking in a pull or two maybe not. Sure does look like something is shocking the rings hard enough to break the lands. Here is a very informative article I read awhile back.

http://www.enginelogics.com/detonation.html

6. 73Runabout

I would take more than 2 degrees out at 250 and 300 kpa. Let us know how it goes.

-Tony

7. denmah

Ill post up my timing table then but give me a suggestion

8. 73Runabout

As I mentioned before...I would drop your 250 kpa row to 13 deg and the 300kpa row to 8 deg

9. denmah

alright im gunna do 12 and 8, thats what i have in there now, sorry i thought you were a different user chiming in and didnt check the name haha.

10. PrecisionTurboMustang

It is detonation in the ringland. Modify the pistons.

11. denmah

Can you elaborate how should I modify the piston

12. BlownShovel

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  13. bluchev

can you post some pictures of the rod bearings?

If there was detonation that bad to screw up the pistons you would think there would be clear indication on the rod bearings

14. 92spiritrt

do you think running 100% meth could be causing any issues. water is 2.5 times more effective at cooling the air charge than meth is, so maybe running a 50/50 mix might bring the temps down a bit since there is no longer an intercooler to aid in intake temps. the octane gain with 100% meth may not be as valuable as the temperature disapating properties of the water to help control the detonation. i don't know what your iat's were back when you still had the intercooler on, but maybe a comparison is in order. just an idea.

15. denmah

bearings looked great, i already built the motor and installed it, i just need to get oil and i am ready to roll tomorrow.

yep i feel teh same way, i liked the mix better

no IC on a quick 3rd gear pull goes from 120-260f
    on methanol about 170 max
    on intercooled and water meth mix it was like 90f inlet temps lol

16. denmah

i shot this video before i started assembling the car, and i put the motor together everything is good, motor is in, trans, starter, coolant, you name it,

didnt have oil to fill it and its 1am so i cant really run it anyway, ill grab some oil for it tomorrow and check the compression.

that #6 bore did take a little beating and thats why that cyl was about 15-20psi lower than the others haha.
    i pulled almost all the pistons and had a look but that explains that one, the rest are great.

17. denmah

fairmont is out burning em in 3rd gear on 18psi.

like a dream

243 head side is pumping 180
    799 head side is 150psi

lol i thought these heads were the same.

i pulled out a bunch of timing and the car feels great with 4-6 degrees removed...

picked up a digital timing light from a friend, i gotta make a piston stop and mark the balancer and check the timing, might be factory advanced on this 5.3 and thats whats been hurting it all this time.

18. PayUpSuka

I'm real curious on the issue, should be interesting to see once you figure it out!

19. Forcefed86

Not that the current timing table doesn't sound great, but you may want to drop it a bit more even. Then dial in your desired huge boost level. Then watch the plugs very closely as you bump timing up slowly.

I'd also suggest reving it no higher than 6k.

As far as modifying pistons/heads, Have you read about somender-sinh?

His head modification is quick and easy to do (there are youtube videos on this). I don't really see any big loss trying it out.

http://somender-singh.com/content/view/7/31/

Having to much or to little "squish" in the cylinder can play odd tricks with detonation.

I've followed a few using this technique and they all claim good results. Esp. in idle quality, and detonation prevention. I think it helps eliminate the "squish" area problems. Interesting read if nothing else.

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. cat herder

Erm... I would just like to mention that, in my experience, people who use a random assortment of fonts & text styles all thrown into a big box, shaken around, and then poured out onto a page are trying to distract you from what they are actually saying.

Or they are mentally unbalanced.

Or both.

bridal-shoal