1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Rickracer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 1hcam

Well..... Did you go yesterday?

2. Rickracer

Got one pass, it was a [email protected], 1.559 60', 6.78 1/[email protected], it felt pretty good, but just not making the power the old motor did. I couldn't get my new Windows 7 laptop to connect, even with Dave's serial cable, (hard drive died in my XP machine), so I couldn't look at or change the tune, or even see the wideband log, and I had oil coming out from both ends of the intake, so I only made one pass, worked on getting the laptop connected, then finally loaded up and left about 3 or so.
    I did log 22 psi boost and 26 psi backpressure on my telltales and didn't scatter it, so at least that much is good news. I think I finally got my laptop to load the drivers for the serial cable last night, so maybe I can find something in the tune to make more power.....

3. 1hcam

Wow. That sucks. I ain't going to lie, I have NEVER had a good outing at a funday Sunday. I think it's a curse! Lol

4. Rickracer

Well, if my test on the concrete wash pad at the shop is any indication, the next trip to the track should be a GOOD one. Before I yanked the intake to reseal it, I checked the timing, and apparently, I had never set it since I put the distributor in. I usually set them in at 20°, and that's where it was, so it was 16° low. Saturday before last, I did a launch, at 10 psi, and it yanked the front tires about 6" and carried them about 20', till I hit the brakes. Should make for a lot better than the usual low 1.5x 60's....if it makes power like it seems like it will, stays together, and doesn't rape the converter, and doesn't stand on the rear bumper, it may dip into the 8s.....

5. Drac0nic

That's a lotta "ifs" I hope you get to check the "runs 8s" box. Always gotta lock something down. 16 degrees is a ton of timing, hopefully it's the magic bullet in making power on this beast!

6. Rickracer

Well, as long as this "nothing motor" runs better than the good motor, (best of 9.66@139), I'll be happy.... an 8.9X would make me happier though, :grin:

7. H.P.Ranch

Re: 76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

We want video of tire yanking at the shop!!!:2thumbs:

- - - Updated - - -

We want video of tire yanking at the shop!!!:2thumbs:

8. rdakota340

X2 on the tire yanking!

9. Rickracer

I think I can do that tomorrow,

10. H.P.Ranch

11. Rickracer

Wash pad is too wet, (people washing their taxis at shift change), car just spins, I'll get one tomorrow though.

12. Rickracer

No such luck, when I tried today, just about the time it hits about 8 psi, the motor starts dying down as if it lost a bunch of timing, and boost drops like a rock. I found the hose coupler between the merge and the carb hat blew partially off, so I fixed that, but it's still dying down. Monday, I'm gonna see what the MAP is seeing, it kinda feels like it did when the first MAP sensor was blown apart. I did finally order the rest of my t-bolt clamps to replace the regular hose clamps on a lot of my intake tubing, not to mention the one at the carb hat that wouldn't QUITE tighten down enough. There's a little bit of a mismatch in the angle between the merge pipe and the carb hat, would one of those "hump hoses" work there? I started to order one, but it's not 3 ply silicone, it's EPDM, wasn't sure if it would hold up to 20+ psi.

13. Stoichiometric

If the hose isn't fiber reinforced there is no way it will hold up to boost.

14. Forcefed86

Many of the diesel couplings are solid rubber with no reinforced plys/fibers. I ran these for years with no issues. On my LS and on import motors running 30+lbs. They typically come in larger sizes as well which is handy.

I've bought alot of them from these guys. Including their "hump" hoses.

http://store.airflo.com/rubber-hoses---clamps.html

15. Rickracer

So I hooked up the laptop today, and put it on the brake a few times. Looking at the gauges on the MSD screen, the MAP responds completely normally, but still does the dying thing, and if I don't let off, it will die completely. But if I go to the floor with the accelerator more gradually, it doesn't seem to do it. So I ran a log on the wideband while loading it up on the trans brake, and D/Led it to the laptop, but didn't get a chance to look it over yet.

16. H.P.Ranch

What happened to the TIRE YANKER popcorn is running out. We want to see some action!!!:popcorn:

17. Rickracer

Just been really busy and short of $$. Working on removing the popcorn texture and painting the ceilings in a few rooms at home.

18. Rickracer

Found out why it was dieing out. Spark Blowout because the alternator wasn't charging. Repaired the alternator, and now it's not doing what it did. Gonna get back out to the track pretty soon.

19. sbdgbody

good luck, have fun, what track u going to

20. Rickracer

Orlando Speed World. Might be a while yet, I broke the 700R4 trans in my truck (tow vehicle) Saturday, and put the RMVB TH350 out of the race car, that I replaced with the P/G in it, but it's a 4900 stall JW converter, I can get the 1.5 miles to work and back with it, but no way it's gonna tow the Vega to the track and back like that....and my trans guy just texted me and said it's destroyed....no details yet...