1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Rickracer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 1hcam

Sorry to here. Were you able to log timing and afr's? How much boost?

2. jameskirk1

That sucks! BBCFTW!!!

3. Rickracer

It only got to 14 psi, according to the boost telltale gauge. I forgot to set the W/B to log on that pass, but I know it went WAY lean, just by how it acted. It nipped 4 of the spark plugs, on two of them, the inside porcelain was broke and the center electrode was loose. I could actually probably just replace the one piston and the block, and be rollin again, but if I'm gonna do this, I might as well go with a new set of forged pistons, (and not be afraid to wing it a little, 7000~7200 rpm), the hypers have kept me afraid to spin it harder than 6200~6400 under boost. I've spun it 7400~7600 at OSW when it had 4.88s, 28" tires and motor only, (no power adder), but it's only cammed to go 7000~7200.

4. rdakota340

Sorry to hear about the carnage man but now is the time to go LS they make great power for little money.

5. Rickracer

I just reacquired a motor I bought a while back from a buddy, it's a .040 over 350, Comp 274 cam, hyper pistons, cast crank. I have a set of World S/R heads to go on it. I'll be back on the track soon, and this will give me time to decide whether to keep going with the SBC on my good motor, or go LS. It'll probably depend on what kind of deals I can find on which setup.

6. H.P.Ranch

Where are we on this project?

7. Rickracer

Well, getting a little carried away on the heads, started out just to be a port match, but they were only 165cc intake ports, not a great match to my Vic Jr intake. So it's kinda turned into a full blown porting job. I've matched them to my 1205 intake gaskets, raising the intake port roof about .200", and opening up the pinch point at the pushrods, d-ported the exhaust to match the top shape of my (oval port) header flanges, and will be also matching the header flanges for size. I also opened up the chambers around the valves to match the cylinder walls, to unshroud them, (also good for a fair bit of flow). About all I have left is to cc everything to make sure the chamber and port sizes are close, then get the valves and seats cut, and shave them about .010" just to make sure they are FLAT. It's gonna be a few weeks before I can afford the new fuel pump, but I should have the motor back together by then. I REALLY want this motor to run even better than my GOOD motor did, and if so, I may go ahead and invest in an aftermarket block for the good motor.

8. H.P.Ranch

What's the last three on the castings your using?

9. Rickracer

They are World Products S/R castings, 67 cc chambers, 165 cc intake ports, 2.02/1.60 valves.

10. Rickracer

Got my new Holley Dominator 12-1800 fuel pump Thursday, heads should be done Monday, stay tuned....... :cool:

11. 1hcam

The Holley Tech had a lot of good things to say about that pump. I'm going to give that pump a shot on my new build as well. Look forward to how it works out for ya.

12. Forcefed86

Nothing against that pump, it does perform well (though not that well at higher pressures in boosted aps) but it's basically this... Which can be built for about $220. Throwing a third 255HP pump in this mix would outperform the holley and only add around $80 to the cost.

IMG_20121017_191943.jpg #ad

And it cost similar to the magnafuel 4301 Which is a much more powerful pump.

IMG_20121017_191943.jpg #ad

13. Rickracer

It was $369, SHIPPED. I figured if it's good enough for Dave's truck, with nearly twice the horsepower I'm looking to make, it should be fine for mine, ;) :coolio:

14. Forcefed86

Don't get me wrong it's a sweet pump with nice packaging. Esp. for carbs and lower pressure setups.

15. 1hcam

That's cheap. Where did you get it.

16. Rickracer

17. H.P.Ranch

Rick get us some good videos when you go to the track, don't forget to charge the batt. for the camara.:cowboy:

18. Rickracer

My camera takes Duracell Ultra AAs, and I keep a pack of fresh ones in the truck.

19. Rickracer

Motor is together and sitting in the car.....

20. Rickracer

I fired it up yesterday and did the cam break-in, still needs a little tuning, got a bit of an oil leak at the back of the intake, and my 16" Spal fan took a dump in the middle of break-in, not sure if I'm gonna go back with the same thing, or go to a pair of Intrepid fans.

[video=youtube;9HXdRDLJl1k][/video]