1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Rickracer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Rickracer

Got the Tr.Brk VB on the way, along with a fine spline empty planetary, mine was a coarse (17) spline output, as well as a 6" SFI Fluidampr. I think I'm gonna drain my trans pan, verify the dipstick reading, then add some better fluid and see what happens for the next time out. By then, I hope to be almost ready to put the Glide in.

2. Rickracer

Got a new converter a few weeks ago, went and picked up a Powerglide w/ brake earlier this week, put it all in today....

[video=youtube_share;cA8VVvrBJxw]http://youtu.be/cA8VVvrBJxw[/video]

That should drop my ETs a few tenths, :grin: :grin: :grin:

3. jameskirk1

Sounds good my friend

4. BoostedDownUnder

Sounds real good!

5. boostedbucket

I was looking at your pictures of the turbo oil return lines, the one goes to where the fuel pump normally is , where does the other one tie in on the left side of the engine??

6. Rickracer

It goes into the oil pan, in line with the 2nd main cap, (to cut down windage as much as possible), and about an inch down from the pan rail, to give enough room to get to the pan bolt above it.

7. H.P.Ranch

Rick we want results now "no excuses" you got the transmission, converter, brake, twins, e98, lite weight car, now crank up the boost and show us what that bowtie has under the hood. No more SMOKE show, getter done.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  8. boostedbucket

thanks for the reply, I am going twins also on a sbc so I am just trying to get ideas on what ppl do. thanks

9. Rickracer

Unless my next paycheck is way smaller than I expect, I'll be headed to OSW Friday night, and I'll be REALLY disappointed if it doesn't run bottom 9s if it makes a clean pass. Of course, it might blow the tires off, or try to divest itself of the rear bumper. Got some bigger slicks to go on it when these wear out (29.5 x 10.5W, to 29.5 x 11.5W), and if it reaches for the sky, I'll be doing some wheelie bars, but I hope I just go home with a big ole smile on my face, and needing to get a chute for the next time out.....

10. Rickracer

Close! [email protected], :thumbsup:

[video=youtube_share;gyxiDbiwAGs]http://youtu.be/gyxiDbiwAGs[/video]

11. AABob

nice pass, but that rotary in the other lane - totally obnoxious!

12. Rickracer

Yeah, tell me about it, I can't stand those things unless they are on a pass....

13. H.P.Ranch

Any updates Rick?

14. Rickracer

Gonna do a few little tweaks to the timing curve, 2 step limit, and might add the MBC. Planning to go to OSW tomorrow night, gotta take an S10 I've been working on for a customer and do some shakedown passes on it too, if the weather doesn't screw us up...
    Last time out, I forgot and left the fan and water pump running and killed the battery just before the 9.66 pass, got that part figured out, now there's a rotary timer switch for both, that I can set for 1 to up to 30 minutes so I can set it and forget it, usually doesn't take more than about 5 minutes to cool it back down anyway.

15. Rickracer

Something is going on with my fuel system. Last two times out, the car bogged down due to leaning out, time before last, got back home and found the fuel filter partially plugged (again), swapped the Summit 40 micron stainless inline filter for an Allstar 63 micron stainless that is at least 4 times larger, as far as filter area, still leaned out, and popped a head gasket, fuel pump sounds funny. Might be time for a new, better pump......

16. Rickracer

Replaced this:

With this:

Both are -10, the Allstar is 63 micron vs. the Summit 40 micron, and is about double the length and bigger diameter as well.

17. Forcefed86

The summit filters I used that looked like yours pictured used a single flat disk as a filter media. They had a horrible flow rate and I had to junk it. I think the all star uses a media design similar to an oil filter with pleats. Should work much better for you.

If it doesn't and you want a cheap high flowing alternative use this goldenrod filter. I use it on many of my builds with E85. They are ethanol compatible. I split them to inspect and replace them every year. Works great. Filter down to 5-10 micron levels and flow more than you'd ever need. I also have pushed them over 75psi. And tried to pop one with 120+ psi of shop air. Didn't phase the thing.

[​IMG]#ad

This is my most recent split filter after a race season in E85 and sitting in e85 all winter. SS elements are NOT a requirement with E85.

View attachment 659115 #ad

18. Rickracer

This is the Allstar filter:
    It's about 7 inches long, 1.5~1.75" diameter.

And the Summit one:
    The Summit one is like 3"~3.5" long, >1" diameter.

The Allstar has at least 4 to 5 times more surface area... :thumbsup:

19. Forcefed86

Ah gotcha... My 60m summit filter had this inside it.

mrg-6165g_w_ml.jpg #ad

mrg-6165g_w_ml.jpg #ad

20. Rickracer

Well, that lean out cost me a motor. It broke #3 piston, and upon further inspection, broke the cylinder wall too. I expected to see piston skirt in the bottom of the pan, but the bottom side of the piston is completely intact???? I suspect that the ring end gaps butted.....
    Pics later.
    Now, to decide where to go from here, I've said if either my truck motor or the Vega motor blew up bad, I'd go LS, but all I need is a set of pistons, a block and some machine work.....if I could sell all my 1st gen SBC stuff for close to what it's worth, I could afford to go LS, but if not, I think I'd be better off to stick with the SBC.