1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Rickracer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. StabbinStevem

Nice. I guess you got the laptop to connect. I can't wait to see the track results.

2. Rickracer

Well guys, looks like I'm headed to the track Friday night for test and tune, but I know I'm gonna need taller gears.
    Car is a drag only, 76 Vega, 2450 lbs. (probably 2500 now, with the turbos and stuff), backhalfed, 4 link, 10.5:1 355 with Pro Topline 230cc Iron heads, 4340 crank and rods, Crower 00426 solid roller cam, MVB TH350 w/4200 converter, twin t3/t4 58mm .60/.63 A/R turbos. Having said all that, it has hyper pistons, and I don't wanna turn it over about 6000~6500. The car now has a 4.30 gear and 29.5 x 10.5W MT ET Drags on it. I'm thinking a 3.50~3.60 gear would be about perfect for the 1/4 mile, but I have a perfectly good set of 3.00s I already own. Would y'all spend the $$ for a new set of 3.50s, or go with the free 3.00s?? Not gonna change em for this Friday night, but plan to swap them early next week, if I'm gonna order em, gotta do it Friday morning....

Read more at: https://www.theturboforums.com/thre...rack-Friday-night-Gears?p=1887982#post1887982

3. patl

Pair of 60's pushed nephews stock bodied s10 to 6.50's with no tuning, lots of spinning and a 3.08 gear. 383cid/turbo's had a .84 AR however...
    Doubt you will need N2O. Good luck.......

4. Rickracer

Well, got rained out Friday night before I even left the shop, and yesterday I found a set of 3.50 gears for just the cost of shipping, so I'm gonna wait till I get to make a few passes with the 4.30s before swapping them, don't know if I can get the 3.50s in time to get them installed before this weekend anyway.

5. Forcefed86

Been waiting to see this thing make some passes!

Is it 2400lbs with you in it? Think our cars are a similar weight....

Good luck! that thing should be a monster! :cheers:

6. Rickracer

No, when I weighed it, it had a full tank of fuel, (5 gal. E85), and it was 2450, but that was before the turbo setup, which added probably 50~75 lbs. With me in it, it's probably 2650~2700 lbs. or so, ready to race. :cool:

7. Rickracer

Well, the first time at the track was not good, it leaned out 3 times and tuliped 4 intake valves. Since then, I've replaced the fuel return hose with -10, removed the pump return altogether, replaced all the valves with better quality .100 long stainless valves and new springs. Loading up the converter the other day, I realized that even with the 10 psi wastegate springs replaced with 4 psi springs, boost was up around 18 psi on just a quick load up and launch in the parking lot, so I re-did the wastegate pipes off the headers from 1.25 to 1.625, and planning on heading to the track tonight. I'll post some pics of the pipe work later on.

8. Deimos

You better

9. Forcefed86

So did u up the jetting like 400%? Even the crappo oem valves should be Fine With a good tune.

10. Rickracer

No, I upped the return line size to -10, and removed the return line from the pump to the cell. I knew as soon as I flipped the pump on and the pressure had dropped to like 3 psi, that it was gonna work the way it's supposed to. Before, I couldn't get it below about 8 psi, without the pump return on there, and that pump return is what leaned me out, now I've got it set at 7 psi, it moves in unison with the boost gauge, and there's no pump return to dump my pressure back in the tank when it opens, ;) . Here's the pipe pics:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last Saturday, before I started working on oil leaks, I backed up almost to the street and did a launch, boost telltale gauge said 18 psi, on 4psi wastegate springs, backpressure telltale said 22psi. Yesterday evening, it said 10 psi boost, so that's a LOT better, and within the tuning window I'm looking for. I'd like to be able to control the boost a little better than that, but if I can keep it between 10~14 psi, I should be OK for now, till I get a few runs in and see where I need to go from there. :coolio:

11. Rickracer

After a very lackluster outing Friday before last, I found a MAJOR problem that was easy to fix this past Friday. I was rerouting some hoses, plumbing the boost gauge to manifold instead of the hat, when I discovered what appeared to be fuel leaking out of my MAP sensor. I went ahead and rerouted the lines as planned, and ordered a new Delphi sensor. It came in Saturday, but I was too busy to install it. This morning, I hooked up the laptop just to see what it said before swapping the sensor, and the damn thing was registering 44.5 psia with the motor off!!! Meaning NO TIMING to speak of, no wonder the thing was popping and spitting like a drowned cat. It's like a whole new motor now, CAN'T WAIT TO GET TO THE TRACK AGAIN!!!!

12. StabbinStevem

If my motor thought it was at 44 psi, it would be like 10 degrees retarded!!!! Haha!

13. Rickracer

44.5 psia would be like 29.8 psi of boost, which puts my timing at max retard, 10° BTDC, when it wants at least 34°.

14. rdakota340

Good glad you found the problem Rick when you going back out I talked to Dave he is thinking this weekend but there a is a good chance of rain,Do not forget your helmet LOL1

15. Rickracer

Got one in the car already, I prefer my other one, but that one will always be in the car now, in case I for get the other one. I've got a nice, brand new Simpson Bandit too, but I don't like the way it fits like I do my bike helmets, is Lakeland open tomorrow night?

16. rdakota340

As far as I know they are test & tune they posted on FB that they were open tonight!

17. Rickracer

I decided to change front springs today, and probably going to remount my rack tomorrow to cut down on the bumpsteer and give me some more ground clearance up front, but Sunday is Funday Sunday, so I'm getting ready for that, :thumbsup:

18. rdakota340

Good luck post some video for those of us that make it out :popcorn:

19. sbdgbody

best of luck .i got boost on my junk. let us know how u did:encouragement:

20. Rickracer

First pass off the trailer, 10.301 @ 130.95, next pass was a 10.33 @ 124.45, next was a 11.049 @ 120.40, it was laying down on the big end a little bit, I think it might have been leaning out a bit, but either the trans was slipping a bit or it was blowing through the converter. Dave wasn't there for the first pass, but here's the rest:

[video=youtube_share;NTLUYyLuJRE]http://youtu.be/NTLUYyLuJRE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;VXt0WE3Km2k]http://youtu.be/VXt0WE3Km2k[/video]

Dave liked this one.....

[video=youtube_share;5OWe-cR4YeA]http://youtu.be/5OWe-cR4YeA[/video]