1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

74 Challenger with Twins. No sheetmetal to be harmed...

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 74chlngrTT5.9, Feb 21, 2013.

1. 74chlngrTT5.9

Another "temporary" item was addition of guage console. With the wiring properly sorted. It was forcing my hand with guage setup. Pulled that out and committed to the dash layout started many moons ago.
    Headlight and wiper portion still needs fabbing. Plan was fancier with them all being recessed. But this current version is another concession for completion. Still needs wiring up.
    No plan to leave aluminum. Face will either be wrapped in woodgrain similar to factory or a carbon fiber look. 20200531_151747.jpg #ad
    20200531_163456.jpg #ad
    20200531_151852.jpg #ad

2. nxcoupe

Can I buy your factory gauge set up?

3. Drac0nic

That cluster is awesome. Vote for making it a factory imposter here, I love subtle mods on stuff like that.

4. 74chlngrTT5.9

nxcoupe
    Can I buy your factory gauge set up?

Had not really thought about selling the old. Possibly but would be awhile.

DracOnic
    Yes for the "factory imposter". That is specifically why I may do woodgrain again. Not my favorite look but is factory style.
    Even when I made my hood emblems. I mimicked the size and font of original. 20191024_182001.jpg #ad

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  5. 74chlngrTT5.9

I had a plan in the beginning (years ago). Plan now is improved with trunk mount fuse block and front mount block. Stripped out numerous wires that were running front to back for power and switching.
    Short story is more fusing and relays in 2 places will allow for significantly less wiring lengths.
    Removed speedometer cable because of going GPS. This provided a firewall hole that I will use that for a bulkhead pass thru connection. The positive battery cable will now be run inside cabin.
    Wiring in bucket is what was removed. Expect only about 10 percent will be added back on from that pile.
    My reasoning for this now is more complete removal of wiring on fenderwell for turbo clearance. Miles of room now. 20200602_221626.jpg #ad
    20200602_221714.jpg #ad

Committing full in now for successful EFI fire up.

franktf, Disney Lincoln and nxcoupe like this.
  6. franktf

You slowly making progress too!!!!! :bounce:

7. 74chlngrTT5.9

Thanks.
    Got a taste of progress when I was working from home for 2 months. Back at work again now. Traffic has not hit full stride yet so still trying to keep the role going.

Continuing the wiring. Made simple plate bracket to hold starter relay and power connections. End result is cleaner than before. Factory wiring still remains un finished. 20200603_195011.jpg #ad
    20200604_220811.jpg #ad

8. 74chlngrTT5.9

I have committed to putting on woodgrain vinyl wrap that looks similar to factory. Company my wife works for has some leftovers I can have.

Drac0nic and nxcoupe like this.
  9. 74chlngrTT5.9

All wiring connections completed. Still a F"kn rats nest. Happy to note that after 2 months of on and off wiring. Everything powered up without issue. Took some reloading of drivers for the Tunerstudio to link up. But all is good now.
    Time to start the new brain trust of learning.
    Previously I had proper crank pattern. So expect that to remain.
    Reconfirmed trigger angle.
    Now on to test firing coils before startup attempt.
    This is exact point where I hit roadblock several years ago and had to walk away.
    Have to admit there is significant apprehension right now.
    Walking away is what lead to this full recheck and rewire. I have improved understanding now.
    I did have LS coils wired incorrect with its signal source. Applied 12v to grounding circuit. That was previously corrected but think coils were toast.
    Another NEW revelation is (thinking back years ago) I may not have had the spark plug wire connected. Theory back then was that I was only testing so it was not necessary.

20200628_135848.jpg #ad
    20200628_152242.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  10. B E N

Tenacity>skill, always.

Glad to see your moving on it!

nxcoupe likes this.
  11. 74chlngrTT5.9

Thanks.
    And.... have now hit the same roadblock that stalled me previously. 100% wiring is correct now. No spark even using the io test mode.
    Ms forum has offered a few steps for testing. Will try their suggestions this evening.
    Perseverance or stupid stubbornness go hand in hand.

nxcoupe likes this.
  12. 74chlngrTT5.9

Milestone day for me today. After 4 years on and off. I was able to get coils to fire off in test mode. This actual point is what halted me those years ago.
    Testing had intermitant issues with non firing but that could be my 30 year old test light. Gonna replace and try again. Hearing is bad so I cannot hear coils click (or not) so I have to rely on light.

Still a good day.

nxcoupe likes this.
  13. Disney Lincoln

What was "it"?

nxcoupe likes this.
  14. 74chlngrTT5.9

In the coil/injector testing page there is an option to also test fuel pump. Turned pump on (with pump fuse removed) and they fired when triggering them. The coils,injectors and fp are run off relays. The relays trigger ground is fed into and controlled by MS. Safety control. Seems to be a stupid requirement in test mode.
    Another (also stupid) in testing individual coils the main settings have to be set to COP. I had COP wasted spark set because cam trigger is not set up yet. Test page allows selection all 8 for firing. Yet the test only allows for half the coils to be check because the other half are "wasted".

Long ago I never gave the "fuel" button a second thought because my setup then had fuel pump completely isolated from MS.

Already ordered a replacement test light.

nxcoupe likes this.
  15. B E N

Quirky...

16. nxcoupe

I'm not a fan of ms. However, I am going to try a PIMP XS from stinger on rocket. I want sequential which means setting up a crank trigger and cam sensor. Lot of frickin work if you ask me.

17. 74chlngrTT5.9

Yup. Knew there would be a lot of frustrations when I signed up and committed long ago. Exact reason I kept the factory setup installed.
    With ignition handled (hopefully) I can then just work thru the other calibrations 1 by 1. All while still driving g it.

MS was an easy choice mostly because I prefer to fabricate everything.

nxcoupe likes this.
  18. Drac0nic

Theoretically wasted spark should fire stuff in pairs so I would have thought you'd see all coils fire. Definitely quirky along with that FP button.

The MS is definitely a quirky box. I keep thinking I want to pull mine and see if going to a different EMS helps me out.

That said I can't tell if it's the tools or the tool behind the tools in my case or perhaps an engine/ignition problem. That's what is kind of driving me crazy at the moment, I just don't know. It's not an easily isolated thing either.

Glad you got it figured out. On to the next thing!

19. Disney Lincoln

I did an MS3X sequential setup on a guys 66 Mustang with Explorer setup and LS coils. I had very few problems. One was, I wired it to fire 1234.. which I cught before I finished the install and was an easy enough fix. Second was I brain farted and pictured the dizzy going CW while setting the cam sync. Chased wires, switched polarity, fiddled and fiddled, then finally saw what I was doing... Oops. That car runs amazing now!

nxcoupe likes this.
  20. 74chlngrTT5.9

What you stated is most of the lure for going MS. The success stories keeps the interest going just enough over the failure stories.
    That is exactly my setup I made my own housing to use the Explorer cam setup.
    Crank went without a hitch in getting proper signal. No signal for cam though.
    Yet...
    For me I am stubbornly committed to this.
    At the time 5ish years ago money was very tight. Crap job and kid in travel sports. Kid is riding on scholarship now and new job (3rd since then) pays and respects me well.
    Yet I remain stubborn. Mostly because I do find this world interesting. Mastered the machining and cad in moldmaking trade. This end is actually a release from that.

Drac0nic,
    Totally can relate to which tool is the failure issue.
    Especially early on in my career learning cad programming and design. "I know it can do this" is it me or is there a setting I missed?