1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

72 Chevelle 496 Twin T72's

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ss496, Dec 9, 2012.

1. ss496

Venting time. aaarrrrrgggghhhh.

The coater held on to my parts for a month and a half and never touched them. Wow words cannot express my frustration since it took the a lawyer and cops to get involved to get my parts back!!

I finally got them back last week and dropped them off at another coater who stated that they should be ready middle of next week.

Vent over.

2. afterfire

I feel your pain, I had a 350 sbc at the machine shop for over 3 months before the guy touched it. It got so bad that he wouldn't answer the phone, I even left notes on his door for him to call me. I got the point accross, he finished it up and gave me a bit of a discount for my troubles.

3. ss496

Finally got the stuff back from the coaters! I got the drivers side header on tonight as well as some other small stuff that I forgot to do. Unfortunately Im supposed to be busy this weekend but I think I will be able to fit some chevelle time in there. Hopefully a running car next week!

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

Keep us posted.. I love this project!

5. ss496

Well... not much of an update. Everything is in the car and I fired it up yesterday. I was greeted by a rear main oil leak...argh. Oh well, I cant drive it until next summer anyway because of a recent OWI. I am surprised at how quiet it is..wow....like stock muscle car quiet.

I don't have the pressure signal lines plumbed yet and probably wont until after I pull the engine to fix the rear main leak. Im frustrated since the rear seal didn't leak before hand. However, the engine has sat for about 4-5 years without being started....so whatever...

6. ss496

here is a couple pics....obviously sans clamps but you get the idea

20140608_122703.jpg #ad

20140608_122646.jpg #ad

7. ss496

Needs a good cleaning... the heater hoses and upper radiator hose is in place since the pic was taken.

8. sumfoo1

in for dyno plots/ spool time... Still addressing what turbos my FE motor needs... She's 511 CID and made 697hp with too much cam for the lack of compression she has ( [email protected] &9.6/1 CR)

9. BlownShovel

Glad to see you got it fired up. Now time to button up the loose ends and get ready for a drive - hard to wait till spring

10. ss496

Finally uncovered it again....life has been absolute turmoil but is beginning to sort out.

Rerouted and shielded some of the wiring harnesses. Finish welded some of the exhaust after the turbos. Began plumbing the pressure signal lines....a little unsure where I am going to mount the pressure distribution block.

Need to clean up the plug wires behind the cylinder heads. im going to "try" running it to see if the rear main seal quits leaking after some run time....but I think I already know the answer to that.

Probably wont get back to it for a couple weeks...I work away from home during the week and I have plans out of town next weekend.....

11. BlownShovel

Life happens man. Glad to see you are back on the project. Awaiting updates in a few weeks

12. Nice Chevelle

I second the last post. Our projects take a back seat to what our lives and family needs. Im in the same boat sorta. I didnt touch my car for several months until last week. Its nice to finally get greasy again and smell like my garage. haha
    Subscribed.

13. ss496

baby steps....routed all the signal lines....put the wideband back in it....put fresh fuel in it and had it idling a reving in the garage.

rain prevented a test drive and the oil leaks didnt fix themselves...lol

14. 70gem

Where will you put your intercoolers. I am working on a 70 Chevelle build and want Twins. Just wonder how and where to fit them.

15. ss496

No intercooler(s). I dont plan on running enough boost to justify having them. If I do end up running more I will modify a spare set of metering blocks for E85 and put in a second pump.

82 mile turbo maiden voyage...rear main seal leak rate reduced....didnt open the secondarys or get into boost since I didnt know where my timing was at...I just wanted to drive the car!! This weekend I plan on setting 26* total (w/o vacuum advance) and seeing what my base boost is. IFRs need opened up a bit since it is really lean just off closed throttle. Really excited how well it did and how quiet it is.

16. ss496

First time with fresh fuel in since fall of 2008.

chevelle gas station.jpg #ad

17. sumfoo1

Awesome!

18. ss496

I now have two running turbo cars (mustrolet as well....for now anyway) and excess jackstands...lol

19. Hemann

2 running turbo cars. Congrats. I think that is unheard of.

20. Bacon

Congrats! Don't get used to it...

^ That sounded shittier than I meant it to. Chalk it up to jealousy! That's a damn good looking car, nice work.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015