1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

70 Challenger 572 c.i. 106mm turbo

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by NigelTufnel, Sep 17, 2007.

1. turbo hemi

Re: Nigel's New Project (pics)

Any updates?

2. Dart_388

On 18" drag radials he will be lucky if he runs into the high-mid 9's. That thing will make some much power and torque it will need some big-uns! Then a 25.5 cage will be knocking on his door.

3. NigelTufnel

The project is still not finished, however we have made some progress. We thrashed on the car to get it to the point where it could roll on it's own wheels so it could go to the Muscle Car Nationals this weekend at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont IL. Dennis Spal, owner and chief fabricator at www.highspeedwelding.com entered the car in the show and took home a gold award even though the car is not yet finished. Congrats Dennis!

Some progress pics follow and then a couple of pics of the car at the show (sorry those are very dark due to very low light inside the convention center).

[​IMG]#ad

We decided to weld AN -4 bungs into the back of the intake manifold so I could run vacuum lines from there and they are neatly out of view when the manifold is on the engine.

[​IMG]#ad

Dennis Spal welding on the manifold

[​IMG]#ad

The finished manifold.... pretty nice I think. The -8 fitting is for the brake booster.

[​IMG]#ad

Oil return for the turbo, steel tube welded into the pan and a steel AN -10 fitting for the line

[​IMG]#ad

Installed and ready to run the line to the turbo

[​IMG]#ad

Oil return line goes up to the turbo

[​IMG]#ad

Remote oil filter mount on the drivers frame rail, the -4 line feeds the turbo with oil, the sensor is for oil temp gauge. Big lines go down to the external oil pump pickup housing (Indy Maxx).

[​IMG]#ad

Custom fan shroud fabricated by Dennis Spal

[​IMG]#ad

Front end coming together...

[​IMG]#ad

Now that's a big intercooler, 4 inch inlet/outlet

[​IMG]#ad

Intake tube

[​IMG]#ad

K-member and tubular suspension fabricated by Dennis Spal @ High Speed Welding

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

106 mm turbo inlet

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Fenders on!

[​IMG]#ad

Dennis Spal trims the grill for intercooler clearance

[​IMG]#ad

Fuel lines, vacuum lines, oil lines, and water lines are done

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here is the car at the show today. The lighting is very poor in the convention center, not so good for photos.

[​IMG]#ad

Show is over, cooler full of Moosehead is packed in passenger seat, ready to roll

[​IMG]#ad

We still have to install the correct springs, set final ride height, and align the front end (notice a bit of negative camber in those tires??)

There are many other things to do. The rear end is not finished, spring perches need welded for final, anti-roll bar to be fabricated, differential to be installed, wheel tubs need welded in for final, trunk floor needs welded in, fuel cell to be mounted, battery and master disconnect switch to be installed, front sway bar to be installed, entire car still yet to be wired, engine management harness to build, initial fire up and dyno tuning, just to name a few.

4. 74Dart

damn this car looks really great. can't wait to see it running

5. Shaker223

Super nice! Wow is all I have to say.

6. AlexL

AWESOME! Are you worried about engine cooling with such a massive cooler?

7. NigelTufnel

I really don't think so. It is true the intercooler is massive, but if you look closely you will see that the radiator is also massive (much wider than a stock one) we had to notch the frame rails just to fit the radiator. Plus the engine is all aluminum. Plus the fan is a new unit from Spal that is rated 3,300 CFM. Plus the shroud will ensure the entire core of the radiator is utilized.

8. Shaker223

This should get you deep into the 14s! :2thumbs: LOL

9. rdakota340

WOW that is some very extensive work love the new wheels too! :cheers:

10. topfueldart

Love the whole thing Nigel. Keep after it.... :2thumbs:

11. Tubbed440

Looking good for sure. It's coming together nicely. :2thumbs:

12. Getblown

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! My first car was a 71 roadrunner with a RB. You know the one you shouldn't let get away. Anyway I'll make the first offer, If you ever need a kidney I'll swap one for the car! :2thumbs:

13. GASOLINE

Somewhere in this world, there is an empty 55 gallon drum that was once slap full of money.

14. silviaz145

nice!!!!! i love it

15. Anthony Fury

Nigel (haha), it's all looking seriously awesome. Dennis does fantastic work.

Can you talk more about your ignition? It looks seriously trick.

16. NigelTufnel

I know it looks a little strange with no distributor and coils on the valve covers but it's actually a pretty basic ignition system. It has an Autronic CDI 500R ignition controller (mounted inside the passenger compartment under the dash) which drives four dual-tower coil packs. The controller is fully integrated with the Autronic SM4 ecu. This arrangement is known as a "wasted spark" design due to the fact that each coil fires two spark plugs simultaneously (one on the compression stroke and another which is on the exhaust stroke). Because of this two plug wires must cross over from each side to the opposite bank (not visible in these photos) due to the fact that the cylinder pairings for each coil must be: [1,6][8,5][4,7][3,2]. I played around quite a bit with mounting locations for the coils but in the end this arrangement proved the most convenient.

In case you're curious about wasted spark, it was a popular design back in the 70's and 80's due to being low cost and compact. The Buick turbo v6's of the 80's had this design, as well as the Viper V10. It's not as popular anymore since most OEM's have gone to coil-on-plug (individual coil per cylinder). Can you make big power on boost with wasted spark? Just ask Trendz, he ran a Electromotive Tec3 with wasted spark and it performed pretty darn well if I recall correctly.

17. blown385

Simply amazing work . :bow:

18. Anthony Fury

HAHAHA, sounds like the high and mighty COP guys have been giving you a hard time?? I know all about them, hahaha.

No, but really - what are the coils from / off of, if anything?

19. NigelTufnel

I got the coils from my Autronic dealer. They're manufactured by Bosch but I don't know what OEM applications they were used on. I can try and get a part number for you if you want.

20. TheOtherDodge

VERY nice work! I love looking at other's people's work because I can get a lot of good ideas! :2thumbs: