1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

70 Challenger 572 c.i. 106mm turbo

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by NigelTufnel, Sep 17, 2007.

1. NigelTufnel

2. subzero101mm

Re: Nigel's New Project (pics)

Very awesome set up. Killer FAB work too :welder:

3. Turbo Drag Radial

subscribing

4. NigelTufnel

Wastegates

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. Tubbed440

That is one HUGE down pipe. I'm surprised they got it to fit beside the water pump pulley like they did. Definitely can't wait to see this one completed! :chacha: :2thumbs:

6. Drlee50

Damn nice build!! ( long one too ) so when do you suspect you will fire it up??

7. NigelTufnel

Yeah, the downpipe comes pretty close to the pulley but clears it with about 5/16" air gap. I think we'll bevel the front edge of the pulley to gain a little more clearance, enough to squeeze a belt through anyway.

No doubt this build has taken a lot longer than I expected. I have given up trying to estimate completion. There is little point in talking about the delays that have happened since nothing can be done about them now. Just gotta keep pushing forward.

8. Anthony Fury

Yep!!!

Looking really awesome, man. That beast you call a longblock is going to spool that 106 like an Incon kit on a 5.0, hahahaha!!!

9. Drlee50

I just took a mallet to the DP on my 5"er and made the room i needed for the pulley. A small dent provides alot of extra room for a pulley and certainly isnt going to reduce the flow of that pipe. Just dont chip the pretty coating LOL!

10. TrxR

Interesting wastegate layout. What fuel pump you running?

Thanks

11. NigelTufnel

Yeah, we didn't have too many options when it came to wastegate placement. The passenger side is very congested so we had to hang the gate out to the side, then we just did the driver's side to match.

Fuel pump is a Weldon 2345A and I've got their controller too. The pump is good for 290 gph at 43 psi, and on 20 lbs of boost it will still flow 275 gph at 63 psi. The controller lets you run the pump on less current (slower & quieter) for street cruising, then turn it up to race setting at the track with a flip of a switch or a twist of a knob.

12. NigelTufnel

LOL! I'm sure there won't be a spool up problem with 572 c.i. I just hope I don't have a backpressure issue since I went with a pretty small hot side, 1-7/8" primaries and 3" crossover/merge. Cam is pretty small at only 224/230 so won't need to rev much past 5,500 rpm, so hopefully that will help out.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  13. TurboDakota440

I'm wondering if the heat from the downpipe might cause problems with the trigger wheel & the signal.

14. HSW HEMI

I would like my first post on here to be an appology to Steve(Nigeltufnel) on the timeframe of this project.I am the only one to blame for this as I have numerous times overloaded the shop with work and not enuf quaility employees.I will not rush a job and lower the standard of work in which we produce to get the job done faster.There have been MANY upgrades on this project and I am very happy for this but with these upgrades the timeframe also changes not to the extent that this has taken but add-on due take more time.I will say this project has taxed my abilities on stuffing five pounds into a two pound container but I enjoy this type of test.Last but not least I will have this Challenger back in the hands of the owner within the next two weeks with the same quaility that High Speed Welding is known for,and Steve THANKS for bein as cooll and understanding as you are .If all consumers were like you business would be a pleasure.THANK'S Now back to work on your car.

15. TrxR

HSW : I would like to say you are doing a beautiful job on this car. Also after your post I would never hesitate to have you do work for me if you weren't so far away. Steve make sure you get us some completed project pics and some video's or dyno results as soon as possible :)

Good work guys.

16. Jambbii

Looks good ! Been following this build for a while. I'm glad I'm not the only one not afraid to cut up a rust free 70 challenger :D

17. TrxR

Thats one advantage/disadvantage to living around here is that no one is ever going to yell at you for cutting up a rust free car as there is no such thing as a rust free car :(

18. NigelTufnel

No apologies necessary Dennis. I think everyone understands that delays are a part of any large custom build, and you're right I created some of those delays by adding a lot of stuff that was not in the original scope of the project. I do agree with you it is better to do things right than to do them quick.

19. macmustang91

Looking good Steve cant wait to see you crusing around in it cause i think everyone forgets that its still a street car. Looks like Dennis is kicking some ass as usual and making everything look great. I heard that you even got some welding lessons out of the deal.

Paul

P.S. Do you still have that Gen 7 Dri for sale?

20. TexasTwins

You are kidding yourself with a 8.50 cage.

bridal-shoal