1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

70 Challenger 572 c.i. 106mm turbo

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by NigelTufnel, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Anthony Fury

Re: Nigel's New Project (pics)

Haha, I am just razzing you man.

I don't think there's any rubber / anything soft inside an injector? I could see cheap fuel line being eaten by it I guess...

2. Chevalade

Here is a cross section I found of an injector.

3. NigelTufnel

Got the core for my new air/air intercooler. Measurements: 31x14x4 supports 2274 CFM. Here's a couple pics, this thing is huge and it doesn't even have tanks on it yet!

4. CW25

LOL that thing is huge. :bow: Have fun putting that in. :2thumbs: Looks good though.

5. Anthony Fury

Holy cow!!! Where did you get that? Where is it even going to go, on the roof? :)

6. NigelTufnel

The core came from http://www.bellintercoolers.com/. I might have to tow it in a trailer behind the car :D. Seriously, we're going to mount it right behind the grille. I'll post pics once it's in place.

7. TrxR

That must be damn near as big as the rad. Also whats your take on how something like that in front of the rad is going to affect the cooling system? Also why not go with a air to water?

8. NigelTufnel

With my old combo I had a smaller intercooler but it still covered 80% of the frontal area of the radiator so I was forced to learn tricks. With creative ducting and an effective air dam you can create a pressure differential between the back side of the radiator and the front of the intercooler to induce air flow. That plus a couple other things such as a well designed fan shroud that covers the entire radiator core and hold some honkin powerful fans gets the job done. Also, my new combo has the advantage of an all-aluminum engine and running on E85. I truly don't anticipate any cooling problems, but I'll be sure to post the results.

I'm not a big fan of air/water intercooling in a street car. I have had good results with air/air and the no-maintenance aspect is great. Just mount it, plumb it, and forget it. No pumps, no leaks, no ice crap to deal with, and no worries about explosions.

Update: no more air/air intercooler; went with water/meth injection

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. NigelTufnel

Some more progress on the intake manifold. The fabrication is being done at www.highspeedwelding.com. It's gonna be killer :2thumbs:

10. alain

This looks unreal! Can't wait to see some vids. I like the way you just milled a completely new intake into 2 pieces to make your own creation. Did you put gaskets between the intake halves and the heads to get the right spacing? I can imagine if you finish it up and then mount it with gaskets, It's going to sit slightly higher and not line up with the ports and bolt holes.

11. NigelTufnel

In these pics the top half is not yet welded onto the bottom half, but the way Dennis will do it is the lower halves will remain bolted to the heads (with gaskets installed) while the upper half is welded on so that the correct alignment will be maintained.

12. alain

Ok :2thumbs:

13. rdakota340

that is some great welding I am working on tig welding skills with aluminum!

14. 74Dart

this car is going to be crazy!

keep the pictures coming whenever you get a chance :2thumbs:

15. Tubbed440

Manifold looks good. I'm going make something similar to that on mine over the winter. :chacha:

16. NigelTufnel

More intercooler fab. This is the general idea anyways.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. CW25

Very nice as usual. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

18. NigelTufnel

19. Turbohwagon

VERY nice. I especially like the lack of silicone couplers.

20. Dart_388

Looks awesome! Have to make friends with someone that does ceramic coating! :)

bridal-shoal