1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

70 Challenger 572 c.i. 106mm turbo

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by NigelTufnel, Sep 17, 2007.

1. QuarterHorse

Re: Nigel's New Project (pics)

Diggin' the build! Good luck with it all! :2thumbs:

2. Think3205

killer project, can't wait to see that thing all finished up! do you have any projected completion dates? make sure get a video of when you first fire it up and any dyno pulls, it would be fun to watch... :2thumbs:

3. Anthony Fury

Wow wow wow, this thing is going to kill!! Hope to see it in Drag Week, or at least the streets of Addison soon.....

4. Chevalade

Any updates?

5. NigelTufnel

Ok, had some delays with this project but recently made a little more progress. Had a hood clearance problem with the intake when using an elbow, so the guys at the shop modified my Indy 440-2 intake so the throttle body mounts to the front, allowing me to fit everything under the stock hood with no scoop.

Update: This manifold is no longer on the car; it has a Edelbrock Pro-Flo now.

All this fab work is being done at http://www.highspeedwelding.com

PT106 turbo mounting...

Camshaft position sensor...

6. racesloth

Too cool - my first ride was a 69 Charger R/T with 440 - bought it for $1250. Those were the days. Good luck, it will be a monster for sure.

7. Chevalade

What size throttlebody are you using? and what size exhaust are you running over to the turbine? Have you flowed your heads yet?

8. NigelTufnel

I was planning on using a 105mm throttle body, but I may actually stick with the 90mm.
    The hot side will be relatively small, 1-7/8" primary tubes into 3-inch collectors, 3-inch crossover.
    The heads only flow about 370 cfm, but I'm more concerned with low speed velocity than I am about volume. The cam is only 224 @ 0.50 anyways. It's a street car. No really. Planning to idle at about 550 rpm, pull 21 in/hg of vacuum at idle/cruise, and should get between 17 and 20 mpg highway. I averaged 18.5 mpg with my old combo which was 500 c.i. and a single GT47 and I was still not done tuning when I sold it. I will be spending some serious laptop time tuning the low-load on this new combo, trying to better the mpg of the old one.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. Chevalade

If you are running it on the street, are you going use a 8.5 or 9-1 cr? And depending on yer heads I think your low speed velocity shouldn't be a problem. What sizes are your int/ex valves? What is your max rpm going to be? Seeing as it is a street car, what is your boost range?

10. NigelTufnel

Compression is 8.9 to 1 and I'll be running E85. Intake valves are 2.25 and exhaust are 1.81. The engine makes peak hp n/a at around 5,500 rpm so I don't see ever turning more than 6,000 or so. Boost range will depend, I'll start with about 15 psi and see what it does and go up if I think I need more, but honestly I don't see ever running more than 20 psi or so.

11. Anthony Fury

You are making new pipes!!!??? The work looks great!

12. NigelTufnel

Thanks Anthony.

Yeah, we're going to make all new hot and cold side pipes. I never liked the old setup all that much; it worked but could have been better. The new cold side will be all 4-inch with a humongous a/a intercooler.

Update: no more air/air intercooler; went with water/meth

13. Anthony Fury

Fucking awesome.

HAHAHA, I wish my heads "only" flowed 370, hahahhaa.

14. Anthony Fury

P.S. Just for you:

[​IMG]#ad

15. Chevalade

Looks like a killer build.....I will be following it closely....please keep us up to date. What is your target Hp?

16. NigelTufnel

The engine is capable of more than what I will tune it for, mainly because I'm only using 165 lb/hr injectors and running E85. If I were running gasoline it would be capable of around 1,900 hp on those injectors, but on E85 those injectors will only support around 1,500 hp.

17. Chevalade

Are they custom injectors to handle the E85?....afaik most normal injectors are not E85 friendly?

18. NigelTufnel

They're not custom, just off the shelf ID-2000's. Lots of guys running E85 with these and no problems. Where did you hear that?

19. Anthony Fury

20. Chevalade

Yes Anthony...it was a idea that was bad....end of story.

As far as the injectors go, there have been supposed issues with the E85 deteriorating the rubber in the injectors, and certain types of rubber fuel lines.