1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

65 Falcon to 62 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Briansshop, Sep 4, 2020.

1. 62CometTurbo

We gotta meet up man I want to see this thing. How loud is it through the dumps? Mine gets obnoxious after a couple weeks and I end up putting the exhaust back on.

Briansshop likes this.
  2. Briansshop

It's loud,but very low toned. Not a problem at all cruising around. Not loud in the car,and no fumes inside. Stupid loud when on it and the gates are open also.

silver82GT likes this.
  3. Briansshop

My plan is to redo the exhaust in alum,to loose some weight,and also muffle the gates. Winter time. :welder:

Russell and 62CometTurbo like this.
  4. Briansshop

Projects lining up! Number 2.

[​IMG]#ad

5. mld54

What are your plans for it ?

In 1976 I worked at a Chrysler dealer in Nicholasville Ky. One of our customers was the original owner of a 29, it was her only transportation. She was like the little old lady from Pasadena, only drove it to church and the grocery store. The local Ford dealer that sold it to her offered her a new car for it, she declined. The car was complete and all original, tasseled pull down shades for the back windows, a wind up clock mounted in the rear view mirror, copper strips for plug wires, the back seat didn't look like anyone ever set in it. She was a tiny woman, couldn't have been 5 feet tall. It had always been kept in the same garage since it was new. It reminded me of driving a tractor.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2024
    62CometTurbo likes this.
  6. Briansshop

It'll be a while,have some life things to get out the way,but figured I'd grab it now so I have it.
    Thinking something like this:

[​IMG]#ad

7. Briansshop

BBR, B E N and mld54 like this.
  8. KEVINS

Why not leave it as-is? Looks like you will be cutting up/removing most of it to the point that you can simply buy an aftermarket cab and a few other parts.

ks

62CometTurbo likes this.
  9. Briansshop

Just wanted to start with a complete car. Already titled and an original body.

74chlngrTT5.9 likes this.
  10. 62CometTurbo

I kinda agree almost. Looks almost too solid to turn into something you can order most of the parts for. Your car though, and with your skills Im sure it would turn out awesome.

11. Pro-SC

I helped my childhood friend build a 29 back when I was finishing high school. It was a really nice car, all,steel body, no bondo, chopped and channeled sbc, was a nice car. My favorite has to be John Milner’s 32 duece.
    I would have no problem building it into what I wanted. Those cars are not meant to be stock imo.

IMG_1150.jpeg #ad

Briansshop and 62CometTurbo like this.
  12. Russell

X2 I don't think it's too nice to cut up. I would try to sell the original parts that are not used, or build a buggy / buckboard out of the original drivetrain. Use it as a golf cart / sideby side around the house.

62CometTurbo likes this.
  13. 62CometTurbo

I guess this isnt such a bad idea!

14. Briansshop

It looks nicer in the pics than it really is. It's had some panels replaced, and still has some rust in a few places. Crazy that at over 90yrs old it'll crank right up for a spin. It's cool to drive something that old with so much history,but that's all...it's not much fun other than that. I'll be fixing that though!

15. Briansshop

The Fairlane is testing me on the light throttle,light load tuning. Major cylinder imbalances below 2000rpms and light throttle. Pulling fuel from all but one hole to even the plugs. 50% pulled from one! My thought is the plenum is way too small for 427ci and theres a lot of turbulence and reversion going on. Big cam not helping either. I've got it running good, just having a hard time keeping the plugs decent. Going to try one range hotter plugs. Full power tuning is the easy part! Still on 10 psi,seen a max of 110 mph...in 3rd gear.

Added a 2" open spacer to try and get some more plenum volume,it helped some. Been considering a HiRam,but really just don't think I want one.

[​IMG]#ad

B E N, 74chlngrTT5.9 and Pro-SC like this.
  16. Briansshop

Frustration beat my desire to not through $ at it,ordered a HiRam. Since my head is thinking plenum,I ordered this ITC 1" spacer also.

[​IMG]#ad

Hopefully I'll be posting how happy I am with it after installing/tuning. :cheers:

Pro-SC, 74chlngrTT5.9 and B E N like this.
  17. 74chlngrTT5.9

Fixed

20240829-081816.jpg #ad

Pro-SC and Briansshop like this.
  18. Pro-SC

Should have traded some Bronco parts for mine! When I first got my Hi Ram I was thinking about getting an intercooler that sandwiches between the upper and lower. I was looking at one that had poor reviews and testing showed poor performance, then I heard about the Shearer one which is supposed to work better but the price!

19. Briansshop

Yes, the Shearer ones are supposed to be good. I like the Tick one also. I'm not going for an A/W yet,but it'll be easier if I decide to.

You still have the HiRam? ... Bronco overhead console?...LOL!

20. Pro-SC

And an LS throttle body but you gotta throw in a couple of bones lol!