1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Anthony Fury, Apr 25, 2008.

1. eades5.0

Re: T6 / 331" / 5" DP / stock hood / full accessory Mercury Capri

Some has some fab / welding skills!

2. fastestdriver

:ras:

3. Anthony Fury

Speaking of middle fingers being free.....this might be the biggest middle finger milled into anything.

[​IMG]#ad

4. 86merc

OK they got the kit all done! :chacha: I forgot to get pics of the wastegate and piping but will have pics of it all on the car later. Here is the kit all ready to go to the coater.

Here is the bracket Anthony made on the motor. Spacers and such are still coming. But you get the idea what the brackets are about.

5. Unatural

That bracket is awesome. :lau:

6. fastestdriver

:eek: That bracket is so cool that it doesn't even need the "trademark"!!

-Eldon

7. Anthony Fury

I went to visit the Capri today because I missed it want to burn it to the ground and saw everything still laying on the ground. Mike = fail hahahaha!!!

8. 86merc

yup. The stuff is still there. The coater doesn't work full time there I guess. No one was at the shop. It is being dropped off tomorrow for sure. :2thumbs:

9. 86merc

Well some progress over the last couple of weeks. I have been moving the wiring in the inner fender wells and changing some old wiring. It came out pretty well and almost everything is hidden. The prop valve and line lock is also on the outside of the frame now. Stainless lines are being machine made by The Right Stuff now. They are copying coat hangers I bent how I wanted them. I also picked up the stuff from the coater. It looks really good. The color match between the ceramic and powder is perfect. In the pics the flash or lighting makes it look like the powder is darker black has a sheen to it. You do not see it in person. It all looks the same shade of flat black. Should look bad ass under the hood!

Started solenoid, a/c relay, injector driver, forward lamp harness and water lines for the intercooler. And the inner fender liner still fits.

Heat exchanger & lines

Water pump hides above the gas tank.

Water feed and return lines and drain valve

Shaun and Anthony got a kick out of me draining the tank. Said I had to post that as well. lol

And now on to the coated parts.

I have to get the tripple walbos installed, run new fuel lines, run battery cables and finish some wiring for gauges and such. Then reinstall the motor and bolt the turbo kit back up. Get a new valve body with a trans break. Then new carpeting around the new cage and moving some gauges around. We are getting close to the end of this 9 month project.

10. strkdblwncapri

Your build is looking awsome. Gotta throw in love the capri.

11. move

Nice work!! It gives me inspiration for my build.

12. Anthony Fury

Lord Vader, your induction system is ready. :2thumbs:

Where's the motor Michael?!?!

13. FRANCISCO308

Awsome build :bow:

14. 86merc

Thanks guys. We are real happy with the build as well. We can't wait to get it on the road and to the track.

I talked to Paul last night. He just pulled the heads off yesterday. It was lifting the head and I think we may have a issue with the AFR heads. The early batch had a channel connecting two coolant passages together. The later versions did not. He believes that is the reason the motor keeps getting air in the cooling system in the same spot. Heads and block are flat. He is calling AFR today. May have to weld the channel and maybe try Felpro MLS gaskets. The short block will be torn apart and inspected Thursday. If all goes well it will be back to me very soon.

15. Anthony Fury

Fixed!

16. 94Cobra/Turbo

What's it run like on the street?

17. 86merc

It does not run yet. Just got the kit back from the coater. The motor is being checked out and hopefully will be going back in the car next week. We will report what happens when it runs. It will be on the dyno for a base tune and then on to the track. We should have vids as well.

18. TRUNKS

Every time I see an update I'm that much more impressed. And that "customized" bracket is great! :ras:

You probably already know all the details now but back in my DSS days I remember there being an issue (as you mentioned) with "early" AFR SBF heads and Cometic headgaskets. AFR themselves said they weren't compatible for a while, though in the time I was there (2004-2007) we never had any issues.

19. 86merc

Hey Nick. Yea I have the "water arch", as AFR calls it, so they could be used on the early 289/302 motors. The head was lifting a little. Due to detonation from a failing fuel pump on two runs and a tuning error on my part on another run (different track outings). A copper gasket would have leaked when that happened. The MLS gaskets lay back down and seal with that viton rubber coating. But with the water arch the gasket can be squeezed in the water arch distorting the gasket. This is where my leak is. Same exact spot. Cometic does offer a newer gasket to be used with the heads with a water arch. We welded the arch and should not be a issue anymore. We shouldn't have to lean on the tune as much with the turbo set up.

Thanks. And the logo on the bracket is amusing. lol

20. BigTurboNotch

looks great mike, hope she is out and lurking around soon :2thumbs:

the car has come a LONG way and I can honestly say this is one of the best builds I have EVER seen on this site.

PS i want a lane next spring :D

bridal-shoal