1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Anthony Fury, Apr 25, 2008.

1. 86merc

Re: 5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Thanks

They are the M&H 275/50/17. They are narrow for a 275. Over a inch narrower than the M/T 275/60/15 I have. But they tuck in the wheel wells nicely and give a ton of clearance for the tail pipes and the quarters.

2. mayer5oh

Re: 5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

my car is very quiet also... hoping ill get to your power numbers sometime soon. i still dont think i want to add the rest of the bars to make it a 10point tho. those front bars are always so obvious

3. Nealoc187

You get the trans probs worked out pratt?

Vogz and I are heading to byron this sunday, weather looks sick. if the car is up for it you should come.

4. Chris91LX

Pretty sure he got the trans back, but not sure if he's got it back in yet.

5. 86merc

Yeah the trans is rebuilt and back on the car. Direct drum was bent where the shaft goes in it. The clutches were also fried. New drum and different clutch pack is in the trans. We also stuffed 8 clutches in it instead of 6. Hopefully wit will last for a little while.

Did Vogz get his 10 second pass?

6. Anthony Fury

Hey, I found the pics I took of the wheel machining!

So, like Mike said, the upgrade to the 5/8" studs caused a mild panic. With this thing leaving as hard as it does, and as heavy as it is, neither Mike nor I thought locating the wheel with the 1/8" wide flange of 4 A.R.P. nuts was a good idea. So, Mike had the tires removed, I dialed each bore in and corrected the rough machining inside. Once they were all the same, I made steel spacers (not pictured) with a really tight fit against the studs, and a size-on-size fit into the wheel. That was hard; shooting for 0.001" with a 4" long endmill....the bar I made the spacers from got warm enough from machining the other 7 that after I turned the 8th piece, it mic'd to size (hot) but later shrunk as it cooled: enough to have it flop out after I pounded it into the wheel! Did a quickie knurl and we were off to the races again. I told Mike the wheels would retain the T.I.R. of 0.020" they had "built in" to them (for a guy who spends all day keeping T.I.R. at 0.003" or better on 50" long, 1,000# rollers, that's a lot!), but apparently it's not an issue, even at 150 MPH, haha.

[​IMG]#ad

Bore and flange, after clearance drilling but before corrected milling:
    [​IMG]#ad

Bore corrected: you can see where it didn't touch all the way around:
    [​IMG]#ad

Both wheels finished:
    [​IMG]#ad

7. TURBO 70CAMARO

How are those remflex header gaskets holding up ?.

8. 86merc

So far so good. I have about 10 passes on them and about 1200 street miles on them. No issues so far.

Anthony was worried about the wheel project and with good reason......my life was at stake! haha But when he was all done the wheels mounted actually more true than the Weld wheels are. When we saw that we knew the wheels would be fine at speed. Here are a few more pics I had of the wheels.

Here you can see the wheel machined and the spacer installed. Just enough clearance to knock the spacers out if we ever need to.

[​IMG]#ad

The wheel installed on the car. Even with the wheel studs and nut slightly showing people never really seem to notice them.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

NOW for some bad press for Moser Engineering for their retarded actions and lack of care. I ordered the 5/8" wheel studs from them. I sent my 35 spline Moser axles to them to drill and tap the axles for the 5/8 drive studs. The send me the axles and when I go to assemble them the retaining nut on the back side will not work. wtf? I call them and the tech guy tells me they know the drive kit will not work with my axles and lug diameter. I asked him if they will not work why would you machine it. He had no answer at first. Then tells me I asked for it to be done and they did it. They he tells me they do it all the time and people make it work. I so "OK How do they make it work?" He tells me they do not use the retaining nut. I ask him what holds the stud in the axle when the lug nut was removed. The prick hung up on me! What a bunch of bull shit. So I brought the drive kit and the axles to a buddy. He machined a 5/8" lug nut down and it worked fine. Moser knows there is a issue and they can't figure it out? Yeah right. They don't care. Last moser product I purchase. Any ways here is the pics of the problem and the solution.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. 86merc

This thread is in "The Build Boards Hall of Fame Builds". haha That is awesome!

10. Anthony Fury

Oh yeah, I forgot, the spacers are stainless steel. Baller!!!!

11. fattirehotrods

English please?

12. TRUNKS

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's a measure of runout or how out-of-round something is.

And it's been a long time since I've looked at this but I'm always amazed at the work that's already done and is still being done to the car. Don't know if I'll ever see it in person again but good luck!

13. 86merc

You are correct Nick. I think it is usually refereed to "Total Indicated Runout".

Thanks for the compliment Nick. It is a fun project for sure. It is an ongoing project. There is plenty of things to do on the car yet. So the build thread should go for quite a while. lol And I don't plan to get rid of the car any time soon. So unless your moving out of state you most likely will see it round.

14. TwinTrouble

Yeah, especially at rest stops and and dude bars!

15. BigTurboNotch

this thing going to make an 8 second pass this year? :angel:

16. 86merc

I am going to try my best! I plan to go to GLD on Saturday and maybe Sunday. I will hit up Byron a few times in the next month or so too. Keep your fingers crossed!

17. Turbo Drag Radial

awesome...keep us posted.....hope to see a low 9 or a high 8. Hopefully you have no more issues with the AOD. make sure to get video!

18. 86merc

Well I finally bolted the new turbo to the car. Again, it is a S400 based set up. S400 with the 98mm turbine wheel and 1.32 a/r housing. Jose @ Forced Inductions put a Turbonetics HP 88mm wheel in it with a race cover. The only problem with the install was the compressor housing inlet is 5.5" versus the 5" on the standard cover. So I couldn't run the tubing into the fender well and the air filter. So I threw a screen over the inlet until Shaun and Antony can fab some thing up.

Bob Kurgan was in town tuning so we threw it on the dyno yesterday. First pass the motor saw about 25psi but broke up some on the upper rpm. The MSD 6AL is at it's limit I think. haha So I closed the gap on the plugs. Bob also increased the duty cycle on the wastegate solenoid to get more boost. Next pass was clean and only made about 27psi and 888rwhp. The only change we made was the duty cycle and the boost did not really go up much. So we added more duty cycle and one more degree of timing up top. It picked up boost to about 27.5psi and made 901. With out boost increasing and the fact I do not have ARP2000 rod bolts we decided to call it quits. The a/f was rock solid and timing is conservative. Good place to start and ready for the track tuning.

I think the fact the dyno was not a load dyno had some effect on the boost numbers. The other thing was the screen over the inlet. It was being sucked into the turbo. So I don't doubt it was a restriction.

I am happy to say the least. The car made good power, the air intake temps were lower than with the other turbos and nothing broke. haha Hopefully I can get to the track in a couple of weeks. Should be a good time. haha

STD
    [​IMG]#ad

SAE
    [​IMG]#ad

19. Turbo Drag Radial

you will find the car will make more boost on the track compared to the dyno due to the load. As well the tune might be off slightly as well.

I stopped tuning turbo cars on dynojets and only use the track. The other option is a Mustang Dyno.

Great results from the S400-88 hybrid. I made 675rwhp on 10-11psi last fall. I hope that fuel system mods I did will keep up and I can turn it up.

Keep us posted on the times.....also try to see how fast it can go on 17's......!

20. TwoFastT3s

Very nice!! That thing is gonna move!!!!!!! :2thumbs: :cheers:

Nate