1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Anthony Fury, Apr 25, 2008.

1. TwinTrouble

Re: 5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Hey Mike, you know what would be awesome? If this car got picked to be on Pinks All Out this June at Route 66! :2thumbs:

im just sayin.....

-Shaun

2. 86merc

Re: 5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Done! I just called Rich's cell phone and I am in! HAHAHA

Filming is June 25 & 26th. We will see what happens. Hopefully we can get some tv time.

3. boost21

Good luck Pratt!

4. 86merc

Anthony did some nice machining to the wheels for me. But he must not want to show it off as he has had the pictures for months now. haha

Anyways, A quick update. I went to the track to get some data logs with the new turbo. I don't run a boost controller that I can just pick a boost and it runs it. I have to make a map based off the duty cycle of the solenoid for the wastegate. The old map wouldn't work as the new turbo is very different. lol No big deal. So in full street trim with the 17" rims and tail pipes on I made a pass. I set the duty cycle map to what I figured would make 15-17#. I also lowered the 2 step being I was on the 17" rims and wanted to hook and make sure I got some good data.

The turbo is a 88 TV wheel in the v band cover with a 93mm turbine wheel and a 1.32 cover.

First pass it spooled about the same as the old turbo. The car left soft with a 1.68 60' and went 10.20 @ 134. But it made a solid 18# of boost on the run. The larger comp, exhaust wheel and turbine housing must be making a good difference. Next pass I upped the 2 step 200rpm to make get out of the hole a little harder. I also raised the waste gate duty cycle map up to make about 20#. Launch was a little harder with a 1.48 60' and it went 9.74 @ 145. I could alo hear a header leak after the 1/8. Came back and the passenger side header was leaking in two ports for sure. Data log said it made 20# of boost in 3rd gear the whole way. So with way less boost and a much softer run to the 1/8th (5mph slower than last year) it still ran the same mph in the 1/4 as last year. The converter may be hiding some mph as I did not send it out yet. But all in all I am happy with the results so far.

Took the header off and it was warped bad. Sanded it on the belt sander and still fubar. So Shaun welded a bead around the ports and he re sanded it. Still off on the bottom of the port of the #1 primary. So I installed a Remflex header gasket last night. Damn they are thick! haha But compress a lot. No leaks now. I hope they last in a turbo application. Seems like they have a good reputation on here. So my fingers are crossed.

5. Turbo Drag Radial

thanks for the update.....i have the same turbo as well.....no track data yet, but it is a big improvement over the 74.5 comp wheel.

I have been tackling the switch to e85.........

Congrats on the 9.7 @ 145 on a 17" tire, my goal is still a 9.50 @ 145....so it sounds like your car will easily run that.....nice 60 foot btw.

6. 86merc

Thanks.

But I was upset with the 60' times. haha I knew I was going to leave a little softer than last year. But I didn't expect it to be that soft. 1.68 is horrible. The launch RPM with the new turbo wasn't working at all. It looks like it needs more rpm to leave hard. No big deal though. I really wanted to get more passes in to get the 60' times down more. But the header leak prevented me from doing so. Oh well.

I have Pinks this weekend so I will not get to work on the 60' times. I will not be able to run faster than a 10.oh there as the tech officials at RT66 are real strict. And I don't have my NHRA comp license for faster than 10.00. So in a couple weeks I will be back at Byron making some all out hits. I can't wait! Hopefully I can get the 60' times down in the 1.3 range and ET close to that 8 second number. :chacha:

7. turbomike88

Well the new 88mm turbo is on the car. It was a concern of mine that the larger comp & turbine wheel with the larger a/r exhaust housing would spool even slow. Initial testing on the trans brake shows the turbo spools up almost the same as the small turbine turbo did. So I am real happy about that.

I have a 88mm garret turbo with the 1.32 a/r ex. housing , it's good to hear that it's working for you , makes me feel a little better , very nice build

mike

8. 86merc

Well weather and my schedule finally worked together so I could get out with the car. I left the street tires and wheels (17" wheels and 9" wide drag radials) on it to see if I could make them work.

The first pass the car felt like it left hard. It left wheels up, they came down and once boost came in on the top of first it pulled the wheels again around the tree. Second gear felt real strong. But as soon as I shifted into 3rd the engine rev'd to the 7500rpm rev limiter. The direct drum clutch set must have had enough. damn it! :doh: lol

Well I was right. Even with the 17" wheel set up on the car it still went 1.37 to the 60'. I was stoked about that. I really think there is more in it as well. With 3rd being useless and me out of it before the 1/8 it still went 6.0 @ 111. If the trans held up I really think it was going to be the fastest pass to date.

I hope to have the trans rebuild and the car back up and running next week. With cooler air moving in I should have a real good shot at running a 8 second pass. Especially if we get some of that mine shaft air we get in October and November. I will keep you guys updated.

9. biminiLX

10. Turbo Drag Radial

please let me know what you find.....I have an AOD as well and am pulling this weekend to change the steel seals on the pump to teflon because I think that is what is causing my slipping issue. Since I will have it out if you think I need to change some things I will do it now.

Thanks!

11. Turbo Drag Radial

oh, btw the 6.0 in the 1/8th is moving. I took my backhalf of 3.57 when I ran a 10.37@139 and added your 1/8 and came up with 9.57 which is flying on a 17. I'm sure with the 88mm your back half would have been much faster than 3.57.

12. 86merc

Thanks.

That is awesome you finally got the AOD out. Once you leave on some boost and ramp in big boost that thing should fly!

The NHRA correction factor for 1/8th ET to 1/4 ET is 1.55. It works pretty well. So 6.0 is about a 9.30 pass. When I went 9.31 on the bigger tires I also 60' a 1.37 went 5.96 in the 1/8. Being the trans was slipping and I was out of the gas by the 1/8th I am sure if the trans didn't slip it would have been a high 5 1/8th and low 9 1/4 pass. Maybe even a 9.oh pass. Because it was also set to make 28# of boost.

I hope it is just worn out frictions and I am sure I will see some signs of high heat. I will keep you posted as to what we find.

13. Anthony Fury

DAMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Nice photo - what are the odds of getting one without a watermark??

6.0 is booking on those 17s, not to mention you pour even more boost on down the big end, right?

14. mayer5oh

ever get the tailpipes done? pics?

15. 86merc

I am getting prints of the photo Saturday. In the email the guy says he does not offer the raw file to people. Just the prints. So I will work him over for the original copy. So I can clean it up better and have nice prints made. So we will see.

The car went 5.96 on the 9.31 pass last year. 6.0 on this pass with letting out is promising for sure. You know I have no problem throwing more boost at it. So I will be back out working hard to get that 8 second pass.

You get closer to finishing that A/C block yet? I want to be "cool" next summer when I am cruising around. lol

16. 86merc

I gave them a brushed look and clear coated them. They have been on the car all year. The car is so quiet with them it is unreal. I don't think I have pics of the finished product. Once I clean the rubber off of them I will get some good shots and post them.

17. Anthony Fury

Don't worry Mike, it's safe and sound here on my desk, hahahahah!

18. 86merc

hahahaha Throw it on a machine already.

19. TwinTrouble

You'll have a better chance getting that from Mike than one without a jizz mark!

20. Shagwell

Killer!

I was just catching back up on this build; I'm sure it's been posted, but what tires/size are you running on the 17's?

bridal-shoal