1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.9 magnum exhaust manifolds

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by sam51, Apr 4, 2018.

1. alain

How long did you have those O-rings in there? I have had mine since 2015, on 100% ethanol, and when I had the injectors cleaned a few months ago, the O-rings looked fine. Not dried out cracked etc.

2. sam51

O rings are from 1994, they are dried up and not looking to good.

alain and Disney Lincoln like this.
  3. sam51

made a little progress on the engine, installed the new cam and it wouldn't spin, I thought great now it looks like the bearings are going to be changed also, looked at the bearings as best I could and they look ok, so I talk to a friend that owns a machine shop and he says bring the cam in, its probably bent, sure enough he measured it and its bent .005. I left the cam with him for a few days and he straightened in out so now hopefully this weekend I can test fit it and make sure everything is good to go. all my other parts are are here but I still need a valve spring compressor which I should get ordered tonight and can finally get this thing back together.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  4. sam51

cam was fixed and is installed, got the new timing set on and then heard something drop into the oil pan, now i get to remove the oil pan to see what it was, as i have no way to see in there without pulling the pan, in my defense it was a buddy that leaned on the car and knocked something in there, I just don't know what it was and he didn't see it, just took a sh!t happens attitude about it and just trying to keep things moving in the right direction, i can't believe the car has been apart for 4-5 months now, seems like it hasn't been that long.

5. sam51

here are a few pics of where I'm at with the engine. IMG_1870.JPG IMG_1869.JPG

6. sam51

Motor is back together, just have accessories to install and test fire. Hope everything goes off without a hitch and I can get this thing back on the road.

JB47 and Disney Lincoln like this.
  7. MrBelvedere

Cool build. Any further updates?

8. sam51

motor wasn't running correctly, found out MSD box went south and replaced it. the factory efi was also having issues so the manifold was swapped out to a carb and a 600 holley i had sitting around was installed. turbo is currently not hooked to engine since this is a standard carb not setup for blow through, i plan on installing the holley sniper efi for forced induction soon, but i want to make sure everything is going to run correctly first before i throw money at the fi. currently the motor starts and idles now, i have to change the throttle cable and tv cable for trans then it can be test driven.

9. sam51

Finally got the car up and running, everything was looking good until there was oil in the exhaust, now I have to trace down that issue, but it does run and drive finally, I'm hoping the turbo didn't die on me.

B E N and subcommopar like this.
  10. sam51

Figured out the problem, the oil return pump isn't turning on, so now I get to look for more electrical gremlins.

subcommopar likes this.
  11. sam51

Anyone have any recommendations for a relay that will last for more than a year or two? Something in the 40 amp range.

12. B E N

13. sam51

You're right those pins look weird, but that fuse board may be just what I'm looking for, thanks.

14. sam51

Its been a bit so I thought I'd throw an update in here, got everything on the car running and just as I was about to take it out for a test ride the turbo started making a noise that sounds like the blades are rubbing the housing, theres oil coming out of it as well, so it looks like the turbo went south, and to add insult to injury, my alternator stopped charging as well, so now I get to replace more parts. This is getting frustrating.

15. TurboSnake281

Don’t worry you get what you put into it back

16. MrBelvedere

Bummer, it'll get better though. Look up 80s Toyota denso alternators.

17. sam51

I just found out the old alternator is a pro comp unit, the previous owner installed it, I won't be using procomp anything, I've found their parts to be junk. I ordered a Tuff alternator from Summit, hopefully this takes care of the electrical issues, now I need to find a replacement turbo.

18. sam51

Turbo finally arrived, I ran the motor without the turbo and the sniper seems to be working well now that it has the correct voltage, I think I'm going to hold off on installing the new turbo for the time being, I found a header for the motor that I think I'm going to buy and move the turbo to the engine bay instead of keeping it remote. I took the exhaust housing off the old turbo, and the impeller has a few chunks missing out of some of the fins and they all are bent a bit, but I guess that's normal when the turbo goes south.

Punk.Kaos likes this.
  19. sam51

Got to drive the car for the first time today, I forgot how tough it is to not have power steering and brakes, now I just need to clean up wires and decide what I'm going to do with the turbo location and I'm finished for now.

Punk.Kaos likes this.
  20. sam51

So I decided to move the turbo up into the engine bay, I received the turbo header and got it mocked up, will need to connect all the pieces together to get it running again but it'll be worth it in the end.

IMG_2689.jpeg #ad