1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.4 dohc/turbo modular fox coupe 8.99@155mph!

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by jmstekguy, Feb 16, 2007.

1. jmstekguy

went out today as seattle WA pacific raceways and was able to go 8.61@161mph at 26psi, and the track was less than great, the first time the car has sixtied a 1.40, starting to chase down the sixty foot with new suspension changes. puttin it away for the year and going to do a freshen up of the set up and build a new hotside and cold side for it, and add a few more bars.

2. 99TTGT

long time coming,congratats parm.

3. jmstekguy

quick update of 2014, i added a 6" a/a intercooler swap, 4" cold side piping and some other minor changes and with the same motor the car ended up going 8.54@167 now. the sixty foots are still in the low 1.40's now and still need alot of improvement. all the runs were made at 25.6psi, and still very low timing on q16. here is a link to the 8.54 pass:grin:

4. 99TTGT

congrats.!

8.61@161mph at 26psi - 8.54@167 at 25.6psi= .07 @ 6mph at -0.4psi

you will gain more if you swap to air to water I/C

what rear end gear ratio you are running ?

5. Chris91LX

Congrats!

6. jmstekguy

Thanks Randy, gears were still 3.27's on that pass, but have switched to 3.55's this year. i finally picked up a new car last year (fox mustang, 372" sbf, 94mm turbo, glide) and have been focusing alot of my time on that. But i still havent ran a time based boost controller and have been leaving at lower rpm to manage the launch boost, 100 rpm too much and she blows the tires off. you can hear in the vid the car come on strong 300 feet out. The changes this year will be to take some weight out of it (weighs 3480lb's with me in it!) add the ams2000 boost controller i got from Seb, go through the motor and upgrade a few small items and put in some AP Steel total seal rings in it, up the compression a bit. The turbo headers are still the same home made deals that i had before and i plan on redesigning the headers and hotside and dump the exhaust out the fender. WIth just these mods and a good 1.2x sixty it should go into the 7's i think with the same boost.

7. jmstekguy

thanks man!

8. 1hcam

That's pretty impressive to run 8.50's with those 60's. Congrats!

9. jmstekguy

Re: 5.4 DOHC/98MM turbo MODFOX street car 8.54@167mph!

thanks!, almost finished new car, so i can get back on this thing with the new changes for 2016!

10. 1hcam

Looking forward to seeing the updates on both!

11. 99TTGT

Parm J.:

Pardon me for asking SiR.

1- how much you have to turn this thing at the lights <2 step> to spool that beast?

2-what tire are you running?

thanks
    randy

12. jmstekguy

Re: 5.4 dohc/turbo modular fox coupe 8.54@167mph!

With the last intercooler update i did, it starts making 2-3 psi of boost at 3000rpm and the best pass last year (limiting the rpm to limit the boost since i have no time based boost controller yet) i had the launch/2 step set at 4100 rpm, and it make 4.5 psi there. I normally shifted it around 7800 rpm and went through the traps at 7100 when it went 167mph. i accidentally shifted it at 8300 a couple of times (thats where the reve limiter is set to) and it gave me the best 1/8 mile time i ever had at the lowest boost (5.41 at 139mph with 21psi) i run a 3.27 rear gear (only one 2nd gear leave pass on the 3.55 gears) th400 with stock gear set, and 28x10.5 et drag.

13. jmstekguy

Looks like an update is in order. 2015 brought on a season of no racing. Just way too busy at the shop to have a race car it seemed. I took the motor out to start a freshen up an had a couple of small issues to deal with. One was an intermittent ticking noise that would come and go but never any metal in the filter, and oil always looked good, other than the constant dilution and smell of q16 fuel. During the tear down i noticed that the ports were very powdery on the exhaust side and found that the turbo manifolds i had used originally (ford racing 99-04 cobra) were cracked again around 4 port. Which doesnt bother me due to me planning on fabbing a set of my own turbo headers from scratch this time around.

upon removing the timing cover i discovered my mystery noise. The left bank primary tensioner had broken the pivot pin in the block and the tensioner arm was moving around! Head gaskets looked brand new, piston had a lot of oil contamination again as well, after talking to rep at Total seal, he was shocked that i was still using a moly ring for the boost i was running lol, i told him that i have ran it like this for almost 5 years with out a freshen up. he recommended a custom ring package with the AP steel rings for the next build. Next i got into the short block. The bores looked mint, the crank was mint (stock navigator crankshaft with oiling mods), The manley rod on the other hand was an issue. One of the Manley rods had cracked mid beam from the top of the hold down the body.

Now i am not saying any thing bad about the rods or Manley at all, due to us finding out the rods were not the ones i ordered originally for my build! The parts shop at the time accidentally ordered the wrong rods. They didnt realize there were 3 different versions of this pro-billet i beam for the 5.4. I had the light weight version pro-billet i-beams and had pushed them to almost 1400fwhp! and they are only rated to 750hp. I called Manley to purchase a single rod (my other ones checked out fine) so i can put them in my 600hp lightning build. Surprise to me, Manley replace the rod, free of charge!

So now im at a bit of a cross road with the car... I have a dedicated car that i have put together for all out drag racing. DBC is a street strip car and i cannot bring myself to put a 25.5 cage in it, especially after getting out of my drag car, no way. So i still want it to be a reliable 8.50 car with the wow factor and something i can drive out to the track and run 170mph. I do want the car to weigh a little less (to make it easier on the drive line) and have better street manners, ie make it more drivable. i had contemplated the coyote swap with the big single turbo (i know it can go bottom 8s with a 76 easily) but like i said, that what makes the car original. The only down side of that is the reliability of the stock coyote block at 1400-1500 hp with water in it. So right now i am tossing around the idea of a alloy block 5.8l build with gt500 heads and sheet metal intake. I am also going to loose the distributor drive off the frt and go the the fast xim set up.

14. 99TTGT

I like the coyote stuff but is too expensive & fragile. <For my taste>

I think 4.6L or 5.4L is the way to go.! Stock OEM block, crank & heads.

Mihovetz just runs 5.88 @ 250 on a race prep OEM Teksid 4.6 with GT500 heads & Ronnie Diaz run a4.68sec. in his mod motor 5.4L GT 500 heads ,crank & block .!<The only way to do that on a coyote is with aftermarket block & everything else...lol>

That said ,the GT 500 heads is a great upgrade if you get the Sheet metal intake for it.

rite now the new BILLET WHEEL turbos are sick .. Either:

1- Pro Mod 88mm <Ronnie Diaz 4.68sec. in his mod motor 5.4L GT 500 heads & Sulliven intake powered mustang.>Similar setup to yours.!

2- Pro Mod 85mm x275<Jared Johnston's 4.44 sec. X275 record.>

3-76MM ultra street class P# 02216222469. come standard with a T5 1.39 A/R turbine housing.
    <Joel Greathouse'sin 4.80sec his KBX-powered Mustang>

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  15. jmstekguy

yeah that seems like the way to go. i have bought a 94mm billet wheel deal from Jose at Forced inductions. so i will most likely go the aluminum 5.4-5.8 with the gt500 heads and sheet metal intake. what mods are needed for the sullivan with the gt500 heads, randy?

16. 99TTGT

I don't have any real world racing data to share with you on a 94mm Mod Motor turbo combo.

I've been Told by John Mihovetz & George Class from Acuffab , also By Mark Luton from MMR & others that
    Mod Motors don't like big turbo, that they perform better with smaller units.

The only real world data I can share with you is on the Pro Mod 91mm Turbo
    I've seen and been told that perform really well <Sandy Wold's 7.32/194 mph>

With that being said:
    The extensive fab work on the 5.4L Sullivan intake to work with the GT500 heads is not for everyone.

It is more for the one's that like to take a challenge & work on the thing to make them better.
    But when done right it has been proven to be bad MoFo ="Ronie Diaz 4.53 at 159 on a ProMod 88mm turbo
    The Fastest single turbo Mod Motor Mustang on the world....

11374759_1476445925987077_446860470_n.jpg #ad

17. nxcoupe

And then?