1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.0 pushing water at high boost. update efi spyder intake oring block and f cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by draggsxr1000, Oct 1, 2012.

1. slowboat

This a chassis car or ??.

2. reesejeric

Yes this is a chassis car.

3. slowboat

Thanks for reply. Looks like a shit ton o' fun.

4. reesejeric

yes it is starting to get fun now that we are able to keep head gaskets in it. went back to mooresville dragway 11/10/12 got to make 2 passes at the same tune 15 lbs,same timing same every thing just slowed the launch rpm down. The track was not as good as last week but that's how it goes. By the way there is no water in the catch can, the o-rings and 1/2 inch bolts are working. [​IMG]#ad
    &feature=plcp[/url] [​IMG]#ad
    &feature=plcp[/url]

5. reesejeric

[​IMG]#ad
    &feature=plcp[/url]

6. Briansshop

Nice work guys. I love see someone push a stockblock combo. :2thumbs:

7. Forcefed86

Great times! That combo sure doesn’t sounds maxed out at 15lbs on e85. With that light weight chassis you could lean on it much harder than the typical mustang crowd. Ever had it on a dyno? Going by trap speeds and weight your right around 530 crank hp. What kind of RPM are you seeing at the end of the 1/4?

My OEM 3.8 block is known to let go around 500-550whp in the 2 ton grand national Gbody chassis. In my little 2700lb rx7 this block has been right at 600RWHP for 5+ years now.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. reesejeric

thanks man.

9. reesejeric

Thanks,and no its not maxed out YET we are going to start to lean on it if the weather will hold out for us. We have had it on a MUSTANG DYNO but it had stock heads cam upper and lower intake. It was pushing water at the dyno,it made 441 hp and 400 ft-lb at 18psi (blown head gasket) and very very low timing 16deg. we do not run 1/4 but it is turning around 5800 and 6000 at the 1/8. I think it has quit a bit left in it (fingers crossed) but i know we are on borrowed time.

10. Kerrdogg

We have a similar set up and just blew a 2" section out of the head gasket, boost crept to 15 psi and there wasn't a map for that in the puter as we were not planning on pushing the car that hard the first time our. If it's strictly a race car (sorry replied from page one) I would o-ring the block and heads and use a copper gasket. I joked about running methanol in the cooling system before so if it started pushing water it would get more fuel, then someone mentioned a fireball and took all the fun away. We also just switched from en Explore intake to a Spyder and added a liquid intercooler to the mix, no more 15-1 afr and 201 IAT's for us! Good luck with it.

MNLX- I have pushed water and had the car burn it off and still continue to run, problem is the fire ring stretches out of roundness when the heads lift so failure is usually right around the corner.

Friends car went 142 mph @ 3100lbs through a loose C4 / convertor with stock block, good rods and pistons and TFS heads (back in 1995), you do what you gotta do when a race is around the corner and the good stuff is at the machine shop still, that was 680 rwhp on a Dyno Jet and won FFW Outlaw.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  11. reesejeric

I have a shrine of head gaskets in my shop from this motor,most of them we caught early with the fire ring pushed out of round like you said.I joke to people that hang around the shop that i collect head gaskets like some people collect hubcaps. One thing is for sure i will never run another boosted application without O-RINGS in the block. its that simple i dont care if its a street car or matchbox car :grin:

12. PrecisionTurboMustang

O-rings aren't needed but you and your boy have ignored this whole thread. The problem is stock heads lift because the deck is so thin. Keep cranking the boost up and you will figure it out.

13. 87turbonotch

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  14. reesejeric

15. reesejeric

We have not ignored any thing I bought a complete intake and changed the cam.that was advice from the forum I guess you missed that. I am fully aware that the block is the weak point and will flex but we (I) am going to push this thing further than it should be so we put O-RINGS in the block and bigger head bolts. I think I would be safe in saying that a O-RING block will have a better chance of living than one with out. So I don't understand why you are beating that dead horse.

16. draggsxr1000

(Your boy) just checking in. Lol

17. Kerrdogg

We never had head lift problems once we went to the thicker heads and good hardware, cracked some blocks and on the last go around bent rods from an over zealous meth session, keep on haulin the mail, especially in the 1/8 mile, it's that second 1/8th that makes me nervous :).

18. reesejeric

That last 1/8 mile will really get in your billfold in a hurry.

19. reesejeric

this will be the next project. :popcorn:

desktop 162.jpg #ad
    big block ford. Will be converted to a twin turbo EFI.

desktop 162.jpg #ad

20. reesejeric