1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.0 pushing water at high boost. update efi spyder intake oring block and f cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by draggsxr1000, Oct 1, 2012.

1. 302f150

Re: 5.0 pushing water at high boost.

I usually agree with cat herder, but from personal experience I would argue that studs hold things together better. I did a pull with arp head BOLTS and it lifted the heads and pushed water out of the overflow. I tore the enginre down, put in head STUDS, and have been going strong since.

I would say the best way to fix the problem altogether would be to get new heads with a thicker deck. No one that I've seen has successfully pushed 20psi on stock heads for long.

2. PrecisionTurboMustang

The boost is what is making your heads not seal, not hp. You will make MORE hp with a proper intake and tb at less psi.....More power and not pushing water.

Shoot for 40 psi......just make sure you are recording. And your life insurance is up to date when all that oil and water goes under your rear tires at 100mph+

3. draggsxr1000

Is that not the point of a full diaper? Where gonna push this block to the max or 5.30's either way. Thx for ur time.

4. stackz

doesnt want to waste money but wants to spend money to o-ring the block and try a cast piston 5.0 @ 40psi?

[​IMG]#ad

5. Forcefed86

We've seen cast pistons go to the 900hp mark on this site a few times. The 5.0 block is the weak point. Also with a 2k chassis you can lean on an engine ALOT harder than a 3400lb chassis.

Local engine builder has been having great luck installing a small copper wire (.010 maybe? found in the tiny electric motors.) Around the fire ring of an MLS gasket. No direct experiance with a 5.0, but i've been pushing 28psi on my 3.8 for a year now. (just running a single Steel shim and ARP studs) Many of his boosted engines in the 7 second range use it as well. WOrth a shot... seems like o'ringing the block/head is a hassle on a budget build.

Whats your setup? Turbo size cam etc? Lets see some pics of that beast!

6. draggsxr1000

We have the tool. Just gotta do it. Even if we paid it only cost 75.00 now find me an intake and tb for that. No reason to waste money [ :ahah:quote author=stackz link=topic=157961.msg1576770#msg1576770 date=1349285161]
    doesnt want to waste money but wants to spend money to o-ring the block and try a cast piston 5.0 @ 40psi?

[​IMG]#ad

[/quote]

7. draggsxr1000

Thank u forcefed. U answered the question. Setup i a stock truck motor with flipped headers and a custom t6 turbo that was spec for a 1000hp 351w. I think it has a 76mm inlet. Built by supernatural. Car is a full tube chasis 1966 ford mustang. I have videos but need to ask the owner too post it. Also if someone will tell me how to post a screen shot from mega log viewer. Or post the log.

8. Mnlx

So when it pushes water, does it require new hg's, or just pushing water, and not destroying the fire rings?

9. draggsxr1000

&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

10. draggsxr1000

&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]

11. draggsxr1000

Ok got permission . Mov 15 is the car in current form. Leaving on 15 ramping to 22 in a sec. he was also testing the davis bump box. Track is less than great but very close and let us run when we want. Mov 5 is a completely stock 302 down to the heads only thing we did was rebuild the motor. And it had arp bolts. The totally stock motor and 4 psi went a 6.24. Car just wouldnt hook with anymore. At that track.

12. draggsxr1000

Guys im not bragging but we are pretty proud of this car. It wad the owners first time using efi. My second standalone his first. It was our wiring guys first as well. Its just a toy he has another car with bbf that will get twins soon. My friend eric has worked very hard. Hats off too u bro

13. draggsxr1000

Update! Pulled heads and head gaskets look g :2thumbs:uood. N :cew plans efi sypder intake and f cam going in. Block is also getting o ringed.

14. draggsxr1000

We oringed the block 20.00 lol then added a spyder intake and f cam. Track times to follow.

15. draggsxr1000

and upgraded to 1/2 studs

16. cat herder

So o-rings and bigger fasteners will stop the deck surface from flexing and unclamping the gasket? Gosh, how come nobody ever tried this before!

17. reesejeric

update 1/2 inch bolts oring worked not pushing water yet. Made two passes at moorsville dragway yesterday on 15 lbs View attachment 647939

18. draggsxr1000

And there u have it.

19. Forcefed86

You got the launch down! I didn't think it pushed water under 18lbs previously? When ya cranking it up?

20. draggsxr1000

We have always had water to some degree. At more than 12 we always had some. We always figured some was it getting hot or having over filled it. Yesterday there was zero water. we did make some timing changed but not in the direction u would think. Lol