1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

408 TT street car build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by bgjohnson, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bgjohnson

update. Drove the car about 30 miles on E-85, got a really good tune sorted out. Car is a monster. E-85 and IAT relocate is hands down the best thing I've done for this car.

Inlet temps hovered around 90* on an 88* day, even under boost. So the IAT relocate was a success, no knocking or pinging!

Underhood temps seem a bunch lower, I have no actual data for this, but it heat doesn't blast you in the face opening the hood as much.

Got the overboost protection on, AFR protection on. Car drives like a kitten with the smaller cam until you hit the GO pedal.

I'll get some vid tomorrow for you guys.

2. Unatural

Do you have the DP wrapped? If not, DO IT. It will drop your under hood temps quite a bit more.

3. jaredsamurai

Awesome! How much boost right now?

4. Hemann

Did you test the E85?

5. bgjohnson

Down pipes are wrapped and ceramic coated inside and out

6psi wastegate pressure

Iowa, we have 70% year round.

Here's a quick vid

[​IMG]#ad

6. bgjohnson

7. bgjohnson

Got the car scheduled to be up on the dyno Saturday morning at Karls. We will see what she does!

8. RyanMayo

Nice work man! Looks like fun!

9. jaredsamurai

what will you crank the boost to at the dyno?

10. bgjohnson

Hoping to hit 600-700 rwhp. Whatever boost level it takes to hit that number, as long as my injectors don't max out. Right now they are 67% duty cycle at 6k rpms. It still is way fat though, needs about 6-8% fuel taken out up top.

11. jaredsamurai

Well I'm excited for ya. This has been a long time coming

12. bgjohnson

Yes it has, lots of ups and downs

13. bgjohnson

Got the car on the rollers, it put down 613 rwhp and 650tq without touching anything at 6psi.

Increased timing and got 640 hp and 705 tq. Increased boost to 10psi, increased timing 3/4 of a degree and thumped out 721rwhp and 763rwtq.

Here's the last dyno vid and a blast from 2nd through 4th gear.

http://youtu.be/PD_rGMah4ls

Car did great on the dyno, injector were only at 81% and fuel pump was keeping up. It has so much more in it, but the block is at it's limit.

Later in the day the coolant level increased and there was air in the system, combustion started to push past the combustion ring on the headgaskets. So I have backed boost down to 6psi and took a little timing out. Still probably making 630hp, but it hasn't pushed any more air into the cooling system the whole day. I believe the deck is flexing and pushing a little past the MLS gaskets.

14. Hemann

Great numbers!. How were they to deal with at Karl's? Did they help with the tuning?

15. bgjohnson

I know all the guys over there, I would assume they would be just as friendly to somebody else??

16. RyanMayo

Great numbers man, congrats!

I especially like that it's still stick shift.

17. jaredsamurai

Re: 408 TT street car build, w/vids

Awesome

18. rlongo

nice dyno numbers!!

19. jaredsamurai

Keep us up to date on those HG's. I hope they staye clamped down form now on.

20. bgjohnson

I tested for combustion gases in the coolant. I didn't find any. May have just had some air in it. I've flogged on it on a hot day and it's been fine.