1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

408 TT street car build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by bgjohnson, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bgjohnson

Another small update. Just got the catchcan setup finished.

IMG_20130616_183101_539.jpg #ad

IMG_20130616_183225_353.jpg #ad

IMG_20130616_184401_923.jpg #ad

2. jaredsamurai

^^^x10. Cheap, compact, quiet(ish), quality, and they flow like rivers

3. bgjohnson

4. bgjohnson

Downpipes should be here tomorrow. If they are, I will officially have everything to drive the car. Vids to follow..

5. bgjohnson

Well got the car running. Got a chance to put a very rough tune on it as well. Drove it about 70 miles yesterday in the crazy heat, car saw a max of 218*. Got to do some very minor in boost tuning, only got the wastegates to open once or twice. Then doing a little 4th gear roll on it boost spiked to 16psi which is completely untuned, just went super rich and popped a little. So I think I may have melted through a boost reference line somewhere because it stayed rock steady the other times. I had previously overfilled the coolant reservoir, so it burped out some coolant. I drained it down to where it should be and it never raised after that and actually ran 20* cooler, I think I had a big air bubble in the system and the extra RPM pushed it out. Because I had not hit that high of RPM all day.

Anyways, got back to my house and realized it needed more air flow to the radiator. Cut the bumper a little, cut part of the bumper support. Then moved the bottom of the intercooler forward 2 inches, which allowed the factory air dam to scoop up air between the intercooler and radiator since the intercooler completely blocked it before. Test drove it and it ran at least 20-40* cooler on the highway. Got off the highway and it just kept getting hotter and hotter. Got it home just in time, the fan and controller took a dump on me. But I guess I can't complain too much, 10 year old black magic Flex-a-lite fan served me well.

Due to the massive heat issues in the engine bay, I'm going to try and shoehorn a stock mechanical fan on the car. I don't want to spend $500 for a new Spal fan and controller, and the mechanical fan will push more air then any electric fan I could ever buy.

Here's a few vids. First one is a startup vid with no tune at all, second one is only hitting a few psi 40-70mph roll. The car is going to be an absolute monster when tuned. I have no sway bar now and the batt in the back, the car squatted so hard in 3rd gear my tire rubbed on my fender, and you can stick your fist between my fender and tire when just sitting.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. bgjohnson

Hmm, looking at the car this morning I found out why it boost spiked. On precisions, there are two boost reference ports I guess for location convenience ? So I forgot to plug the other side of the port. There is also one on the top you are supposed to leave open to the atmosphere.

Also looked at the timing tables and I thought I had set everything at 13* above 100KPA. It was set at 19* above 100Kpa, not terrible but a little high for starting to tune. So lets hope I didn't hurt anything when it boost spiked and popped. If I did, it sure didn't show it the rest of the day. No coolant in the oil, no oil in the coolant. Checked level this morning and it was down a few inches in the radiator and only a few inches left in the overflow. So it's just something we will have to wait and see. I'll check the headstuds and retorque along with the manifold bolts.

7. bgjohnson

Drained the oil today, looked cloudy/milky. Last night it looked clear :confused:

Thought I would pull a valve cover, here's the pics. Looks like I pushed coolant yesterday, not a lot, but I have to tear back into it and replace the headgaskets. I had 9333 Pt1's on it, I'm going to put my cometics back on. Those 9333 pop waaaay to easy.

IMG_20130623_135723_002.jpg #ad

IMG_20130623_143255_970.jpg #ad

IMG_20130623_150439_612.jpg #ad

8. jaredsamurai

That's a bummer man. As long as your boost Spike issues are solved, 9333's should work fine

9. bgjohnson

I found that the precision wastegates have three ports. One of them has to be plugged, and I didn't have it plugged, so it may have spiked to 20 psi.

I was pissed, so I just started tearing ass into engine. Got the heads off, they are going to the machine shop to get straightness checked. I'm putting new ARP studs on it and going with Cometics. I know I'm kind of taking out my fuse, but these 9333's just popped way to damn easy, I was barely leaning on the engine and it blew both HG's. I want a little more strength in my headgaskets.

IMG_20130623_191348_455.jpg #ad

10. Hemann

Sorry about the head gaskets. You sure got those off fast. Now you now what the problem was. That has to be a relief.

There is a 10.5 race at Eddyville Sat the 29. You going to watch?

11. bgjohnson

Honestly, I'll probably be in the garage.

12. Hemann

I understand. Thats where I should be but I have to get out and dream sometimes.

13. bgjohnson

I shouldn't be, my back is so messed up from wrenching every day for 10 days straight, it's hard to do my day job. I just have to keep pushing or else it won't get done.

14. bgjohnson

Got the car up and going today. Last night I just kept having setbacks, this morning I had setbacks. But GODDAMNIT I got the fucker running and driving. Changed the oil once more for safety sake and it was clear as a bell.

Also, this mechanical fan was one of the best things I've done. The damn car runs so damn cool, I have an hour of datalogs and it never got over 187* no matter what. Compared to the 220* it was hitting before. Plus no voltage drop from the fan kicking on.

I was just happy to have it driving. Didn't really past 3-4psi, it's still super fat up top and I have no wingman to help me tune. So I'm going to try and build the exhaust in the next week and get it on a dyno Saturday.

IMG_20130625_182527_105.jpg #ad

IMG_20130629_181749_702.jpg #ad

15. mustang-junky

Humm, you got me thinking.

On a street vehicle good cooling is a must. I can deal with not having things like A/C, but I have to know that if I get stuck in traffic, the car won't overheat.

Nice build.

Jess

16. Hemann

What dyno you going to use?

17. bgjohnson

I wanted Karls because they have a brake and its a loaded dyno, so I can hold it at any load/rpm I want. They are booked until July 10th though.

18. Hemann

I just heard that they got one. Good to know that it is a loaded dyno. I don't know if Lund's in Waukee is or not?

19. Hahns5.2

Do yourself a favor and turn on overboost protection. It saved my motor when messing with boost control settings and when the wastegate stuck shut.

20. bgjohnson

Thanks Hahns, I've been planning on doing that, just kept forgetting!

Small update time. I have been battling some massive heat soak issues. After 30 minutes of driving the car would start detonating like crazy above 95 KPA. IAT was still in stock location, so in town the computer was seeing 175+ inlet temps, in reality it was nowhere near that. Once I got on the gas, it would drop 40+ degrees within the first second. So the MS was adding a shit ton of fuel, causing EGTs to skyrocket, causing inlet temps to get even hotter, vicious cycle.

So I built a heat shield for the charge piping, relocated the IAT sensor aaaand switched to E-85. My pump and injectors should still be able to support 700RWHP, and I don't have to make the car drink the shit "91" octane we have. Gas mileage is going to suck hard dog balls, but at least when I put my foot down, I know it's not going to have any issues.

I haven't even started to the on the corn juice yet, but I'll let you guys know how it goes.

IMG_20130706_135237_705.jpg #ad

IMG_20130706_143538_585.jpg #ad

IMG_20130706_143630_025.jpg #ad

IMG_20130706_135210_010.jpg #ad