1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

408 TT street car build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by bgjohnson, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bgjohnson

More stuff done. I got a lot done, but it was just a frustrating as shit.

So I got my flywheel, clutch, bellhousing mounted up. Clutch looked OK, bit toasty but good amount of material left and it gripped. So fuck it, it's going back in until it blows.

Slapped it all back in, then found this the goddamn engine mounting plate on my k member bowed out. Could have been from the trans and engine hanging off of it, or the torque pulling the mount out. Either way I pulled it again, hammered and bent the thing flat again. I use shims to space engine up so my oil pan doesn't hit my steering rack, so I just welded them together and did a bunch of hard tacks to the K member. It's now strong as hell and doesn't flex at all. For some reason I had to add another shim under my right side and elongate the hole on the left side plate to get the engine level again. So I hope I didn't change the height too much, pretty important for my turbo hotside!

While welding, slag got on my phone, melted part of the screen and cracked it. Great..

Anyways, got the trans up and everything is bolted in. Just have to finish my ground wiring, starter wiring, catch can lines routing, slap on the intake, accessories, dizzy, radiator, hook up the fuel lines and get my vac lines figured out, oil pressure fittings.

Once the hotside shows up, it's gonna be lots of part store and hardware store runs.

IMG_20130519_131021_147.jpg #ad

IMG_20130519_141203_739.jpg #ad

IMG_20130519_142607_919.jpg #ad

IMG_20130519_142637_835.jpg #ad

IMG_20130518_181847_231.jpg #ad

2. Hemann

My mounts bent when I used UPR motor mounts with there own K-member. When I went to MM mounts it straightened back up.

You had your phone out when welding? That would suck.

If you need anything give me a PM. I have too much stuff laying around.

3. bgjohnson

I have my phone hooked up to my stereo on my bench, it was face up about a foot away. I had the welder cranked up pretty good so it was throwing Sparks pretty far.

4. bgjohnson

Update.

Almost done with what I can do. Then we wait on the hotside.

Meanwhile in the garage.. I got the upper and lower mounted, put on the rails, injectors, fuel lines, harness is hooked up, and vac lines are routed

Only thing I have left is put on accessories, and run lines to my new catch can and weld up some cracks in the torque boxes.

Otherwise, everything else needs to be done with the turbos mounted.

Here's a vid clip of my pump priming. [​IMG]#ad

Now this pic of the starter/wiring has me a bit worried. Somehow a 3 inch downpipe has to fit down there. I'm worried the wires will pretty much be in the way and I'm going to have to plug the holes and reroute the starter and ground wire. Otherwise, I think trimming the scatter shield is a givin as well. The downpipes will be coated inside and out with ceramic coating, along with the wastegate pipes. So heat shouldn't be horrible. I'll just have to wait and see how it's all built once I get it and go from there.

IMG_20130521_205635_739.jpg #ad

5. bgjohnson

Getting bored waiting on my hotside. So I pulled the exhaust housing off my turbos, I heard good things about VHT ceramic spray paint. Prepped em and put on a few coats. We will see how it holds up, if it's anything else like VHT products, I'm sure it will do fine.

I'm sure you guys are as bored with this update as I am waiting for parts :suspicion:

IMG_20130529_201316_706.jpg #ad

IMG_20130529_195316_688.jpg #ad

IMG_20130529_203635_441.jpg #ad

6. Hemann

Is the cold side done?

7. davidjalb

Twin Turbo 408 - Street Car...God I love the way that sounds! Keep at it, you'll be tearing it up in no time!

8. bgjohnson

Can't start the cold side until I know where the turbo placement is.

9. Hemann

Sorry. That was a stupid question on my part.

10. bgjohnson

It's OK, I've thought about trying to start on it. I'm just so damn close!

11. bgjohnson

Big updates, just no time to load the pics.

Got the hotside in. So I test fitted the down pipes, modified them a little and sent them right back out to be ceramic coated. Got the cold side all fabbed up tonight, my TIG guy tacked it all together so I could test fit it. Fits like a glove, so I will have him finish it up tomorrow.

Also made my wastegate dump tubes. Now don't poke fun at me... I wanted to recirculate them into the exhaust, the way it's set up is really difficult to do at the moment. So I made myself some mini mufflers!

Got all my stuff to plumb the oil pressure lines for the turbos.

So here's some pics of the progress. I'm getting close to hearing turbos spool!

IMG_20130614_145856_788.jpg #ad

IMG_20130614_202614_270.jpg #ad

IMG_20130614_154435_253.jpg #ad

IMG_20130614_174119_401.jpg #ad

IMG_20130612_210706_739.jpg #ad

12. jaredsamurai

:popcorn:After you vht that stuff, throw it in the oven or it will get all F'd up from handling it. One would think you'd have hot side pics before it was on the car... Just sayin

13. bgjohnson

ha, I know. I got everything in and just started thrashing. I haven't stopped in days.

- - - Updated - - -

ha, I know. I got everything in and just started thrashing. I haven't stopped in days.

14. Hemann

I wanted to see the header pics also. Glad that you got them. I had doughts on them arriving.

Tell more of how you made the muffler?

15. Deimos

Looking good man

16. bgjohnson

It's 1 3/4 universal exhaust bends. So I just took a 180* pipe, cut it, then drilled about 40 holes in it, then slash cut the top and bottom of the pipe. I then bent the edges of the slash cuts into the exhaust stream to catch the sound. Then I took a punch and bent all of the holes into the exhaust stream as well. Then got 2 1/4 pipe, relief cut both sides, slid it over the small pipe, packed it with fiberglass and then pounded both edges to comform to the small pipe. Welded it all up.

It actually does muffle sound, probably will still be loud, it will just take the rasp out of it hopefully a little.

17. bgjohnson

And it runs!

Just FYI though, starting a car up for the first time with turbo headers pointing up is not a good thing in a garage ;) Specially when flame balls shoot out.

18. Hemann

Congrats! Everything good to go with the motor? You must have the turbos off?

19. bgjohnson

Looks like it, great oil pressure, all cylinders are firing. Turbos are off, I had to order my turbo drain flanges, so I can't slap it together just yet. But I'm so damn close I can taste it.

Now I just need to figure out mufflers. I want the best sound, medium loudness, best flow. Any ideas?

20. Twin Turbo Skylark

Go with the stainless welded magna flows!