1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

408" Ls S480 powered hatch build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by lt1camaroman93, Dec 18, 2008.

1. denmah

Re: 408" Ls S480 powered hatch build

i like that juice setup!
    thats what i call hittin it hard and backing it up with more

what were your stages?!

2. lt1camaroman93

There was a 150 tune in the single nozzle and a 300 in the fogger. I never got to hit the fogger as I was still working out chassis bugs. I only had the nitrous combo up and running for the very end of the season. I was in a motorcycle wreck this summer that kept me from working on or driving the car for a couple of months. I really wish I could have been able to get a full pass with the car on kill on nitrous, but I have been wanting to put together a turbo car for a while now. I am keeping all of my parts for the nitrous combo so if I hurt the turbo or something I can just put the nitrous combo back in the car.

3. lt1camaroman93

I couldn't bring a knife to a gun fight, which is what I would have been doing with the nitrous setup on it. KOTS is one of the main reasons for the change of adders, bit easier to get a turbo car to go down the track with no prep! I just hope I can get it finished in time.

4. crawlinturbonotch

^^^ By the looks of things you got a real good start on the project.. Its gonna take a nice boost controler and/or the msd box w/traction control to win KOTS this year... Steve said they are gonna have a couple so I'll probably see you at one. :2thumbs:

5. lt1camaroman93

Can't run the nice msd box with a multi coil system, its gay. I would have to switch over to a distributor setup to be able to. I have a nice 7535 box sitting here just itching to go on the car, just can't. Hopefully the boost controller will be enough to make it happen. Hope to see you there.

6. lt1camaroman93

Made a little more progress today. I called it quits once I tacked up the last pipe and it didn't fit. Just need to cut the tacks and move it ever so slightly over.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. KEVIN

where do you plan on placing the wastegate?

8. lt1camaroman93

Right in the merge. I know I didn't leave much room to work with, but it will fit. I kinda mocked it up today. Should be mounted tomorrow so long as I don't get pissed off and stop working on it trying to fix my one little mistake from today. This is my first hot side build, so I know its not going to be perfect.

9. lt1camaroman93

Fixed my crossover miss hap today and got the wast gate mounted up. Now I'm on hold until I get the 5" stuff in to start the dp.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. lt1camaroman93

Does anyone have a clever idea for a brace for the turbo? I could just make it out of flat stock, but that boring. I want something that looks good, as well as functions good.

11. KEVIN

i just made a bracket that bolts to the frame to mount my turbo on. i'm also doing a fox body, ls1, s-480 build. turbo sits pretty much in the same spot as yours. i'll take a couple pics of the bracket tomorrow and post'em.

12. allmtr

I'm using a heim joint for the support, coming up from underneath so that the weight is supported but it can still "rock"

13. feldz82

where did you get the exhaust manifold flanges?

14. lt1camaroman93

15. KEVIN

this was as simple as i could come up with for bracing the turbo.

P1140739.jpg #ad

P1140744.jpg #ad

16. lt1camaroman93

Got the DP made up today. I'm all out of argon so its just tacked right now. I will be making a brace for it off of the frame rail as well.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. lazaris

Wow! Lots of progress. Looks great!

18. lt1camaroman93

Thank you. I really wanted to go through the fender with the down pipe, but I just can't draw myself to cut a hole in a body panel. Time to teach myself how to weld aluminum so I can get cracking on the cold side.

19. lt1camaroman93

I finally started working on it a bit again. Put some Strange struts and aerospace brakes up front last week. Just got the IC pipes done today. Wiring is next. I also upgraded to the polished race cover for the turbo. I also had the front bumper cover trimmed up a bit.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. Dave R

Looks great there. I'm doing a similar setup with a 347 8.2 motor. I'm in the same stages now.

I should save my 5.3 for another stang build and do this too. Seems everyone is doing it.

I need to do the race cover too.

Keep it up.

Dave