1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4 cylinder and 1000whp

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by Johntsi, Aug 7, 2010.

1. BlownShovel

just nuts Congrats :eek:

2. Johntsi

Went back to the track today to see if I could keep the rear axles in the car. Boost turned down some, pulled out 2* and decided to roll it out.

First pass, no burnout, turns out both the tires and track where way to cold to hold it. Rolled into it and bogged worried about the axles. Car just spun to the rev limiter in every gear lifted more than I was in it and finally hit the brakes and gave up.

2.3 60'
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Next pass, I was on the 2-step way to long, trying to find the sweet spot on the new clutch. Made over 40psi on the line. Knew this would eject driveline parts with extreme prejudice, let out and caused the car to front fire while still sitting still when the secondaries kicked in. Once I restarted the car and got into it to see if it would run out ok all looked fine.

It was getting late so I pulled around again. This time I decided to let it pull through the staging brake and go from there. Car spun so hard in 1st that lead me to short shift it and bog second, ran good in third then the clutch started slipping in 4th when it got past 8600rpm. Pedaled it so hard in the log I though I shifted into 5th because it looked like a gear change. It was at 10-11250 the whole last 1/3rd of the track but I knew the car was moving so I kept pedaling it hoping it would grab. 1/8 mile mph was 10-12mph less than normal but it covered the back half a little better.

1.677 60'
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Still getting faster every time out. Time to search for a clutch solution and switch to the 26" slicks.

3. bgjohnson

Just insane, AWD and traction problems all the way down the track. Any vids?

4. stangboy86

yes vids are a must! a few guys out by me use mustang 8.8 rears in the dsm's. i feel ya on the clutch situation, mines not up to par either

5. Johntsi

Well went back for the South East Faceoff today and made a few passes.

First pass still worried about breaking the rear end I rolled it out the hole was clean until I hit the limiter in 4th forgetting I had lowered it so then I lifted and shifted and boost fell to 12 psi in 4th. Did set a new best MPH though wish I has shifted and not lifted 4th :(.

1.9586 60'
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Next pass was first pass in the eliminations, was racing STM's white EVO. Tree did something strange left us both rolling out the hole on and off the 2 step. This pass somehow my an fitting for the gates came loose and car hit 58.8 psi and 4th and was breaking up so I lifted. Funny thing is it was likely ignition related due to the gap being .030 because I was at 94%dtc and af was 12.0s.

1.8781 60'
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

3rd pass put me on the trailer. Only I could redlight against a 12 second car. Attempted to leave with some power this time but redlighted getting use to the new clutch, car was back to 43-44psi but was missing a little so I lifted then got back in it, did it again so I let out. Hopefully just needs plugs after to 60psi incident.

1.6268 60'
    [email protected]
    11.3319@114

All in all happy to see its progressing again, new best mph. Clutch is holding. Will swap plugs and test the car out this week and be back at it next weekend hopefully. I am done rolling it out, its time to go for it again.

6. Johntsi

7. StabbinStevem

Nice car. Do you have a build thread that I can read through? I have had DSMs for 10+ years and currently own 2 90' AWDs. Your car has given me motivation to start planning my next DSM build.

8. Johntsi

Best build thread on the car is over on DSMtuners not sure if they allow cross linking to other forums there though.

9. stack

I say rally suspension, Mud and Snow tires...

Cause some havoc!!!!

10. bgjohnson

Man it's too bad they don't make a decent auto for that car. Probably be a lot easier to figure out.

11. 331StrokerStang

I have read somewhere that there is a company that does build the autos. JC Performance or something like that.

12. trbo355

Very impressive buildup! It seems so many guys struggle with reliability problems and tuning on DSM's and your definitely outsmarting everyone else getting that car figured out. You always make progress on every track day and it shows you know what the hell your doing! :2thumbs:

13. stack

Did you baffle that tank too or just sump it?

14. BreakDancer

Awesome car. 60 lbs of boost and the motor stayed together, you sir build a great engine.

15. Johntsi

Yes the tank is baffled.

Trans problems will hopefully be gone, PPG Dogbox on its way.

16. jim

That motor in rear wheel drive car with a powerglide would be crazy.Seen I guy put 4g63 in mustang .

17. Revolution

Nice job John!

18. stangman93

Nice power you are making! :2thumbs:

I like it a lot!