1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4 cylinder and 1000whp

Discussion in 'Dyno Results and Track Times Forum' started by Johntsi, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Drac0nic

In case you don't mind me asking what is the deal with DSMs and high boost? It seems like they run 10-15 PSI higher than a lot of other combos that you see out there. Is there something about the engine themselves that lends it to it? Other than that, holy crap that thing is as they call it "wicked"

2. Anthony Fury

Just saw this now. Awesome!!

3. cj011

The older american inline 4's run that amount of boost because they can. They may not have the head flow of Honda, but the stock block are strong. I know an old school dodge 8 valve 4 cylinder can take 28 pounds of boost on a stock block with nothing but a head gasket. Grant it you may adventually crap a piston, but it's rediculous.

4. 302f150

what year dodge? some late 80's and early 90's dodges had mitubishi engines :eek:

5. cj011

The old 8 valve4 cylinder turbo dodges. Also, there was the Spirit R/T from 91-93 I think that was basically a destroked SRT-4. You are correct about the Mitsu engines, those were the v6's that was also an option. The v6's have potential, but they have problems holding a head gasket when you bore it. Also, they don't have a viable RWD transmission option.

6. Johntsi

Its a stock MLS headgasket with a oring in the head.

Took the car for some shakedown runs tonight, track was junk but its starting to show some improvements.

First pass off the trailer got to aggressive with the launch spun hard, then when the car went into 4th and across the 1/8 mile car spun badly and went toward the wall so I lifted corrected and got back in it but it had fell so far out of boost it barely made it by the time I crossed the line.

1.7 60''
    [email protected] 1/8 mile
    [email protected] 1/4 mile

Had I just breathed and not lifted first pass off the trailer tonight would have been a solid 9. Best I can tell boost was in the mid 30s.

Unfortunately track was packed so I watched 70 or so street cars tear up the surface and put water all over the place before I could try again. Left with a little less boost but spun again, and then the show started. Car ran hard left and touched the center line, I lifted and shifted then it ran hard right, I lifted and shifted and it ran hard left again, once in 4th I was just sawing the steering wheel back and forth the rest of the run. Track guys wanted to tech the cars because it was all over the place, after they did I decided it better to bring it home and change some things and wait for a better prepped track before I hurt myself the car or someone else. With all the lifting and crap car went...

1.61 60'
    [email protected] 1/8 mile
    [email protected] 1/4 mile

Gonna put in some active toe eliminators, replace a couple bushings that are not urethane in the rear and perhaps a new set of slicks and lower tire pressure. May try some Hoosiers for more contact patch as well.

Overall I am happy, car didn't break and I can try again with a few changes later and have a lot more boost to throw at it.

7. 502efi

148..........................................SICK!!!!!!! :2thumbs:

8. Johntsi

Went back today, only made one pass since it was WAY too hot (intake temps 115* on the starting line). boost 38-40psi but I am a idiot and granny shifted 2-3 and 3-4 and it fell to 18psi on the shifts and if you ever drive a 42r car you know that's a bad day.

1.52 60'
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Boost recovery killed the top of the track but all in all I am happy its getting faster every pass and still not turned all the way up yet. Still have maybe 200hp more to throw at it.

9. jfive

any pics of the engines? Also aren't dsm motors really american engines. I thought I read that Diamond star motors where made in the states. Imagine what you could have done with one of those 5000.00 aftermarket blocks. :2thumbs:

10. Johntsi

Yes car was built in Il. There are motor pics in the build thread I have here.

11. Turbobird

12. Turbobird

13. Johntsi

Well went back to the track again today, and after waiting 6 hours to get the tree working and watching 4 hours of pinks style arm drop racing got to make 1 pass. Fuel sloshing issue killed me again as pickup sucked air and shut the car down at the top of 2nd and 3rd also lifted when it got loose for a second on the big end. Eighth mile MPH showed promise though I botched the launch.

1.700 60'
    4.658 330'
    [email protected]!
    [email protected]

Car hit the wall after that and we didn't get any more passes. One clean pass and this thing will really move!

Fuel cell install this week!

14. testchimp

That is totally awesome man, how much boost and what fuel? How many passes is the engine and drivetrain good for? Good luck next time!!

15. Johntsi

Guess we will have to wait and see.

16. Johntsi

Added the cell last week.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Then went back this Friday night with the cell, blew off a IC pipe between the 1/8 mile and 330' did run a personal best 330 in the car of a 4.1, previous best 4.37, hit the brakes and went a 6.6@90mph, this all on a sub par 1.61 60'. But I got the information I needed, car is flat out of fuel at this power level on the track IDC went into the 120s and AF high 13s.

Pulled the manifold today and will have it on its way back to Marco on Monday for a second rail to be added. FIC sent a set of HiZ 1000s to run staged with these 2150s, so I should have enough fuel to run much more power on the next outing.

17. jridenour31

Re: Re: 4 cylinder and 1000whp

Holy shit, that thing's going to run a crazy number when it makes a full pass.

18. Johntsi

Well had plans this afternoon and could not go racing so I decided to verify the tune in the car before running it next weekend.

Last time it went down the track it made 875awhp and went 132mph in the 1/8 mile. Today in its current state pulling it on the dyno it made 96X at 44psi. I had the timing turned down from the track to be safe on the first run, so I added 1* back and made a pull 990 awhp at the same boost level.

Car made 1030 at 48-49psi. I have had the bottle in the car all year and have not gotten to spray it down the track yet so I decide to test it just to make sure the AF would be right. Boost set back to 44 psi like before and the 50-60 shot on it kicked it up to 45psi and car made 1069/667. Was not interested in turning the boost up more because I am still not sure I will spray it down the track but was happy to see AF was pretty steady at low 12s and even went slightly right at red line.

Car is track ready and will not see the dyno again until it has the HTA 42R on it. Rest of the year will be trying to make it down the track again.

[​IMG]#ad

19. WISHIKNEW

I always wanted one of these car's! but hearing people talk about the upkeep on them scared me away. What would it be like to keep one of these cars alive with less power for street driving?

20. stack

Gotta love that AWD 4cyl power!!!

nicely done man...