1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4.5 ltr mercedes m117 turbo drift car project

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by rwd4evr, Jan 9, 2018.

1. rwd4evr

Daimler Chrysler happened in 1999. Go ride in a 1997 w140 s500 and a 1999 w201 s500 and its very obvious. The level of "I give a shit about this car and the customers" never returned when they pushed the Chrysler side overboard. I won't buy post 1985 Mercedes either but it's not the cars or engineering it's the soy based wire insulation and LH jetronic injection gremlins that ruin them. The old fuddies that drive them are just breaking in my 100,000 mile long blocks!! The crank and rods in these motors are like top fuel parts compared to a shitty cast crank 305 or 302 truck motor. The amount of abuse I've thrown at this car drifting, auto crossing, and street driving for the last 5000 miles is one reason I'm pretty sure it will live turbo'd. The sauber c11 race car made 750hp for 24hr races on this crank.

2. rwd4evr

I'm planning on running the stock driver side manifold and running the 2.25"( it may be 2" right off the manifold)pipe back up under the motor to a log manifold out of 2.5 or 3" heavy wall pipe with the flange where I need it. The t4's I'm looking at are 3" v band and it will be a straight dump wherever it needs to go. I'd like to do a four pipe exhaust out the fender behind the wheel opening like a fighter plane style but only if it's coming out that way anyway.

3. 91turboterror

Chrysler did basically ruin the new Mercedes. I went to a class on Chrysler troubleshooting and found out how bad they really are I knew they were crap before . You can have the same problem with 3 cars and they will give you 3 different symptoms depending on which engine management it has and in some cases you can have two cars the same year with two different engine management systems . Now Fiat is in the mix they are even worse. Ford beat Ferrari twice in 24hrs of lemans . I've seen those shitty cast crank truck motors last over a quarter million miles though. I did an oil change on an econoline with a 5.4 2v that surprised me with 500000 mile and the truck looked immaculate. Anyway I can't wait to see a video of the Mercedes turboed . Cool exhaust Idea.

4. rwd4evr

No doubt crappy Chevy cast stuff lasts too. I dont even know how many small block cars and trucks ive had. I really was a big gm guy for a long time and honestly if mercedes didnt run a full front sump with steering behind the axle id probably already have the 406 in my Monte Carlo SS in one of my Mercedes. Its just a low mile reman rv long block with a decent Erson cam and springs. edelbrock rpm. its probably 350 hp 450ftlbs. Takes all my abuse but i dont rev it over 5800rpm. I want to attempt to build a few of my project hot rod Mercedes with German power but i really dont have a problem going ls if it all falls apart. this drift car is kind of an experiment that fell in my lap, for fun and practice doing metal work for my next build, a 1963 220Sb Fintail for a nice health daily driver sport sedan. It needs lots of fabrication for rear suspension, custom front valence and fender flares. The slc drift car doesn't have to be perfect so ill learn from the mistakes. This one i want to be nice.

sophia labenz sunset.jpg #ad

5. rwd4evr

6. rwd4evr

Will 2.5 inch intercooler and charge pipe handle the 450 max ill make on this setup ok? a 27x12x3 I/C should fit pretty well.

7. B E N

That link is broken. He might be recommending something a little bigger because your wanting pretty high rpm. I still think the 66mm is plenty for you. The intercooler will be fine if it is going to fit.