1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

3rd gen camaro...from a single to twins.

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BADASS355CIZ28, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Bowtie Guy

I hear you there. For the longest time my plan with my third gen was going to be a single turbo due to easier plumbing.. Still wish I would have went that route occasionally. You could merge them to a 3" or so downpipe and go thru the hole near the passenger bellhousing area. If I didnt just go for my front fender dump exhaust that was my plan at least.. You could do twin hood dumps. That would be cool as hell.

2. BADASS355CIZ28

yeah but I plan to drive the car on the street mostly.

3. BADASS355CIZ28

I have been a little busy with everything but here are a few pics of my progress so far. I have the driver side down pipe almost finished an still have to install the waste gate. Then I can move onto the passenger side.

hose 1.jpg #ad

dp2.jpg #ad

dp.jpg #ad

dp3.jpg #ad

4. BDR

You're going to melt that ground effect I would think..

5. BADASS355CIZ28

I still have to trim and center the pipe as well as install a fender exit shield. Also I will be getting everything coated. If it still melts I am not too worried about it. Planned on getting a new one eventually.

6. flyinhillbilly

Looking good

7. BADASS355CIZ28

Thanks. Definitely more time consuming doing the hot side for this build. I spent an hours figuring out where I was going to place the waste gates so that if need be I could take the down pipes out without much difficulty. I also still need to run a drain from the driver side turbo to the oil pan that I just put on after installing a drain for when I had the single turbo. Looks like ill have to take the pan off again to do it.

8. BADASS355CIZ28

I figured the best spot for me to have the waste gates located so I would also be able to remove the down pipes if need be. I have the flanges tacked in place. I still need to button up welding the flanges in, finish the driver side down pipe and then onto the passenger side.

The next hurdle will be the intercooler setup and plumbing.

waste gates 1.jpg #ad

9. BADASS355CIZ28

Hot side is finished and I trimmed up the fender exit some. Now to take everything off and have it ceramic coated. So glad the hot side is complete. Next big thing is the inter cooler setup but ive also been thinking no intercooler with methanol injection. Any thoughts?

finished hot side.jpg #ad

fender exit 1.jpg #ad

10. BADASS355CIZ28

No progress lately. I am still waiting for my intercooler to arrive. Once that arrives I can start doing the cold side.

11. BADASS355CIZ28

Well, I have decided to put off making the cold side. Reason being is something was bothering me when I did a compression test. All cylinders were close to 140 psi except #1 which was at 125 ish. I tore down the engine and pulled out the piston....Rod bearings looked like new. The ring gap was approx. .030 which was way too much. I thought they were set at .024 top and .026 second. Thinking back to when I put this engine together I probably set the ring gap with the ring in the wrong spot. Good news is I have a spare set of rings in my tool box since the day I first put it together. I will be re ringing the engine this week.

12. BADASS355CIZ28

Made some more progress today.
    I got the new MLS head gaskets and Liberty Performance cylinder heads on(Patriot heads).

Installed new pushrods and set the lash for both sides.

Installed the lower intake and also welded the 2nd bung onto the oil pan and installed that too.Now just need to either wrap the headers or have them coated. I'm at a standstill till then.

IMG_2860.JPG #ad

IMG_2861.JPG #ad

IMG_2866.JPG #ad

IMG_2867.JPG #ad

IMG_2868.JPG #ad

IMG_2869.JPG #ad

IMG_2870.JPG #ad

IMG_2871.JPG #ad

IMG_2872.JPG #ad

IMG_2874.JPG #ad

13. BADASS355CIZ28

Found a way to run an intercooler. Taking it to get the outlet welded tomorrow. Here is a pic of where I relocated the outlet. Also getting my 12an fittings welded into the valve covers.

image.jpg #ad

14. flyinhillbilly

I'm guessing that will go out the bottom?

15. BADASS355CIZ28

No, It will come out the top where the hood latch used to be. Replacing the hood latch with some good pins.

16. BADASS355CIZ28

Here is a picture the of it installed. And one of the valve covers I finished up today, I had 12an fittings welded on by a buddy of mine. Also I located my catch canisters within the front bumper support.

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

image.jpg #ad

17. flyinhillbilly

Looks like a good spot for it

18. BADASS355CIZ28

Thanks. Had to remove the hood latch assembly. I'm gonna order some hood pins from Quicklatch.

19. BADASS355CIZ28

Just a little update on the car. Finally picked up the headers and down pipes from being coated. These headers were a pita due to a few bolts on each side weren't very east to install. Hope to have a few more things buttoned up by the weekend. Also getting flack because of there I put my flex joints(which I installed there to help with thermal expansion)

coated 1.jpg #ad

coated 2.jpg #ad

20. BADASS355CIZ28

I managed to finish up the cold side underneath and connect the oil feed and drain lines. Getting closer :applause:

underside.jpg #ad