1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

395", twin T70's, Full 3.5" exhaust, A/C, PS, billet intake, stock hood, pizza

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by TwinTrouble, Dec 16, 2009.

1. wtfovr

Re: 395", twin T70's, Full 3.5" exhaust, A/C, PS, billet intake, stock hood, pizza

I did the exact same thing for my P&H Driver. I ended up using a relay triggered by the right key on 12v and then straight off the battery = problem solved.

2. Lazor05

Re: 395", twin T70's, Full 3.5" exhaust, A/C, PS, billet intake, stock hood, pizza

Where is the update?!?!?!?!?! Hope everything went smoothly :2thumbs:

3. jaredsamurai

Yeah what the fuckin fuck is goin on? First you tell us late july back in june, and then you pull this shit on us. :2g1c:

4. TwinTrouble

Ok guys, here is the update.

Everything went pretty well for the most part. Martin spent most of the day on starting, driveability, tip in, etc. There was some strange fluctuation with the signals from the TPS, IAT, and Coolant sensors which we are assuming is a grounding issue. Martin didn't seem to worried so we forged on. After lunch we started doing some pulls and things were going well. We started at 8psi off of the gate and got up to 12.5psi with the controller. Anything over 13psi was breaking up. We decided to call it a day on the power pulls (we will sort out the coil issues on our own) and finish driveability and the safety map for when the meth isn't pumping. During the last 30 minutes or so the car started acting strange (afr's all over the place) so we pulled it off the dyno and took it home. After some talk and inspection Anthony and I believe that we burst or blew off an IAC/Vac line under the manifold. We plan on pulling the intake and replacing all the poly lines with braided brake lines.

So at the end of the day, our best run was 590rwhp at 12.5psi. The car was only making power to about 6,200 which is about what the cam card suggests. We couldn't keep the tires from spinning (guess drag radials aren't good for the dyno) and the converter was flashing to 4,500-5K. This was on AMS's Mustang dyno. They said that would have been 670rwhp on their Dynojet, but who knows (or cares). What we really need to do is fix the vac leak, fix the breaking up issue, and go to the track and see what it does.

On a more exciting note, the air charge temps were 120 degrees F and didn't really move from there (without ice). The turbos also came on crazy fast.

Time for Anthony an I to get back to it!

thanks,
    Shaun

5. pdonk93lx

Congrats guys, killer numbers for shakedown pulls. Get that thing sorted and it's gonna be a monster.

6. 74chlngrTT5.9

Congrats on making it thru The initial stages. To do list is still
    WAY shorter then when you concieved this monster

Mike...

7. Crawlin5.0

Nice...So without any of the noted issues, my mid-600s @ 10psi guess would have been almost spot on? 8)

8. wtfovr

let us know on the breaking up. Mine is suffering a similar issue right now after my battery died and then I charged it back up.

My guess is the car will make 700 at 10psi once you sort it out. My smaller motor single 76mm made 650 on 14psi with very very lazy timing.

9. Lazor05

Great starting numbers! You guys do killer work!

10. TwinTrouble

Are you running an EPM and LS2/LQ9 coils? If so, please elaborate on your ignition issue!

11. TwinTrouble

Thanks for all of the kind words guys. I will be honest, we were a bit bummed out when we left AMS. Sometimes it seems like there is no end to this project (and money spent) and that the light at the end of the tunnel keeps getting dimmer. However, the encouragement from everyone in this thread is really helping me take a deep breath and forge on! Thanks for the support everyone, i truly mean it.

As i said in the above post, our first plan of action is to fix the vac leak and test/pray the driveability on the tune Martin worked so hard on. Our hope is that he didn't start making any changes after the vac leak started! If we fix the leak and everything runs as good as it did on the dyno we may go do a few pulls with a touch more boost and then just drive the crap out of the car. If it drives as insane as is looked on the dyno we will more than likely keep the car as close to the current form as possible. The short list of future mods would be a valve body with a brake, tighter converter, and maybe a custom cam. Beyond that, we are thinking the car will get less fun. Bigger turbos, more head work, etc will more than likely take away the insane low end and create a dyno queen/drag car that feels anemic on the street. Anyway, enough talking. Time to head out to the shop and start tearing this thing apart. Hopefully Anthony didn't have too many mimosas at his bro-brunch to find is way over here!

Also, on a more comical note, a few AMS employees came up to Anthony while I ran to the bitch pisser. He said one of them asked him if we knew Mike Pratt. Then one of them said something along the lines of, "yeah, i saw the mufflers then i knew these were the guys that built Pratts car." Hahaha, everyone loves Mike Pratt. Anyways, its really cool to run into people that have heard of us!

thanks again for all the support. It really means a lot to us! :cheers:
    Shaun

12. TwinTrouble

Good news guys, car is running great! I'll post details when I get to a computer later. Vac/iac system was actually fine. The boost controller was acting as a pulsed vac leak so we re plumbed it and Aaron made a few changes in the configuration.

Man, this thing is fast! Definitely going to have to make a street tune since we don't have stock in a drag radial company!

13. Anthony Fury

14. wtfovr

Which controller are you using, how was it routed and what was the correct routing now?

I ask cause I am experiencing what feels like a vac leak right now with my AEM EMS and AEM boost controller connected to the EMS.

15. TwinTrouble

We are using the AEM/MAC valve boost solenoid. We had it hooked up to a source that sees both boost AND vac. This caused two problems:

1) Apparently the JGS wastegates don't seal 100% under vacuum on the bottom port. If you hook this up to the vac tree they will be causing a small vac leak
    2) If you have the boost controller set up so it always pulses it will be causing a vac leak. Aaron went into the tune and made the controller come on after 6psi so now we have no annoying clicking.

Basically, there was no reason for us to plumb the gates this way, we just did so we didn't have to put a vac bar on our sweet sweet intercooler/intake plenum. If we would have followed the instructions or asked a grown up we could have avoided all of this.

16. Unatural

Why not just get your source from the compressor housing? That way you don't have to do anything to the intake/intercooler. Here's how I did mine. I'm assuming your solenoid is similar.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

17. cefoskey

So....about the helicopter mod....

18. Lazor05

The car sounds awesome!!! When do we get to see some videos of it on the road?

19. Lazor05

Any more updates on this car! I know you guys have your hands full.

20. Anthony Fury

Shaun finally got a few of the drivability bugs fixed today (like going to 17:1 on WOT stabs) and has been making stripes on the streets of the west suburbs enjoying the car. I tried to get a quick burnout/launch video today but we'll prolly get one this weekend.

Mostly, the car really behaves itself even in the super hot weather. Nothing has melted, the water temps stay cool. This thing is ready for drag week / power tour for sure.