1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

3.2L SHO 6 w/ TT in a 71 240Z

Discussion in 'Turbo Sport Compact, 4-6 Cylinder and Import Turbo Tech' started by Lance, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SStang

Post some pics of the engine and trans mounting plate to the block?

Thanks.

2. Lance

I have a drawing of it but I'll try to snap some pics next time I have it out.

3. SStang

I would love to see how you did it.

Thanks.

4. Lance

It required alot of elements including a custom starter and custom made flywheel...
    And I might have to make it again :bang: Hello "CUSTOM"

The big PIA with the flywheel is the fact that Nissan uses a huge dual mass POS FW requiring an ~1.5 tall FW. The SHO engine crank flange sticks out more than the VQ35 which helps.

5. bgjohnson

Damn that's a beefy flywheel. I take it spacers won't work either?

6. Lance

Spacers move the starter ring gear out of reach.
    We dished the crap out of the one we made to make it ~17# which generally works well with SHO engines.

7. SStang

Who did your FW?

Thanks.

8. noturbo82

Viscous LSDs in from z32's are CHEAP and housed in shortnosed r200. I've got one that I was planning on putting in my car at some point. What did you do to for half shafts?

9. Lance

The half shafts are a SOB :bah:
    I'm using Z31 turbo with custom adapters, anything else seems to require custom made shorter axle shafts.
    I'm pretty sure a VLSD won't work with the Z31 axles tho because they don't have flanges at the differential, just stubs that clip in.
    Good news is any LSD made for the open diff. should work.
    So when the time comes I'm going use a nice clutch type.
    Its either $$$$$ on adapting a factory VLSD (requiring the diff, 4 axles, expensive short axle shafts, and custom companion flanges)
    or $$$ for Z31s and an aftermarket LSD (already had an open R200 short nose and larger 280Z stub axle setup).
    And the LSD is optional until I have the time and $.

10. rangergt

My dad had A taurus sho when they first came out. I was 19, you can probably figure out where this is going, anyway being front wheel drive the only way to get the thing to launch was to peg the tach and slip the clutch. The clutch was gone in less than 10 000 km. To say the least my dad wasn't happy but that car was an animal in the mid range, especially for a four door family sedan! It's cool to see the engine being mounted in the right direction. Can't wait to see the results from your finished project, with twin turbos it should be a blast! 8)

11. bgjohnson

I loved my 92 SHO. Surprised a bunch of cars, specially on the interstate. But man that clutch was not made for that power, neither were the engine mounts, balljoints, subframe mounts, or anything rubber up front.

12. Kellyo77

This is a really cool project. I'm anxiously waiting to see and hear the finished product!

Chop chop! lol!

13. reamo04

i love when people think outside the box, good job :2thumbs:

my next build in ym camaro will definately be outside the box

14. blk mk8

how hard was it to adapt it to a 6spd transmission?

15. Lance

The transmission adapter is still a work in progress... :bang: difficulties having one thin enough yet still stiff enough.
    lots of measuring over and over again, triangulating points, etc. etc. I bought a set of 24" calipers just for the job.

16. SStang

Any pics yet?

Thanks.

17. blk mk8

have you thought about water jetting one out of titanium that would make it stiff and thin.

18. blownpony

That thing looks awesome under the hood, most people would look at it and think it's some sort of exotic!

Can't wait to see it run :2thumbs:

19. Lance

I'm using AR plate which is an alloy steel... Titanium isn't much stiffer than steel for what I need, just lighter.
    I still have quite a few options for stiffening/re-enforcing.
    More than likely its just binding a bit going on, being SOOO tight in the tunnel it was a SOB to put on.
    The engine still needs to be yanked so I'll finish up when that happens.
    But for now I have piping to finish tacking together.
    :welder:

20. blk mk8

cool was just checking up, very cool let i would like to drop a turbo sho motor in my ranger. the supercharged 4.0 does not do any thing for me.