1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 and rear mount turbo build ideas

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Dono2, Sep 30, 2013.

1. 91turboterror

Headers tend to lose heat being much thinner & lighter than most manifolds . It might be a good idea to wrap your headers before you install em.

DuneSuby likes this.
  2. pavementpounder

Please put up pictures of the progress.
    I am in te middle of a remote build on my truck and want to know how are oters are doing it.
    I routed the cold side on the outside of the frame to keep it cool aswell as the scavange pump.

DuneSuby likes this.
  3. Dono2

Problem with wrapping is winter and salt. Ive read about two many guys having their exhaust rust out on them very quickly. Im going to try without, and if I have it all running and am not happy, I'll backtrack on this.
    I don't expect there to be a ton of heat getting to the back anyway. I know this is lost energy, but this is a reality of rear mounts. I'm going after pressure differential across the turbo exhaust as much as possible. The exhaust exit from the turbo is going to remain a short length, and full size (3 inch) with one 90 degree mandrel bend. That and the A/R of this turbo will hopefully create a quick spook. This is never going to win races at the track, but will hopefully raise some eyebrows without tearing the stock block to pieces.

I will be taking pictures as best I can. Somehow pictures of the underside of a truck is a bit difficult for me to understand sometimes. Hopefully I can take pics that make sense. Everything I read tells me a quality scavenge pump is key.

Also, Im wiring my boost gauge in to the power of the scavenge pump so I know immediately if power is lost to it. I'll just have to make sure there is a good ground back there. I might even use two grounding spots. A pump failure seems to also take out turbo bearings. I'd really prefer to avoid that.

4. pavementpounder

There is this stuff that d.e.i. sells, it is a teflon based spray to coat the exhaust wrap to keep moisture and fluids out. stainlees exhaust would help to ofcoarse.
    I plan to mount a pressure switch in the scavange line with a bride led on the dash so if the pump fails the light wil come on

5. 91turboterror

Wrap those headers to keep from losing the heat.

6. Dono2

I'll pick up header wrap, and look for that spray.
    Once I'm hit on the head a few times by guys that have way more experience than me, I start to listen.

Thanks for helping me.

7. Dono2

Drivers side header went in as expected.
    Passenger side, not so much. Broken manifold bolt. Flush w head. Drilled thru, and tried an ez oud. Broke that flush with the head also.
    I don`t own, or really know how to use, a welder.

Working on that bolt. Wrapping those headers makes them just that much larger, and that much harder to deal with. Hopefully the drivers header will fit easier once I actually get to installing it.

header drivers side.jpg #ad

8. Robb235

Any luck getting that broken bolt out?

9. Dono2

yup, exhaust shop was able to get it out.
    Both headers are in. One header seems to have a small crack in it. Im working on a resolution.

Im ready to start. Its still pretty cold in the garage. Maybe spring will come one day.

DuneSuby likes this.
  10. Robb235

What scavenge pump did you end up going with? I saw you posted a link to the Turbowerx. Is that what you went with?

11. Robb235

Was your truck AWD only to begin with? And now you have 2WD, AWD, and true 4WD?

My 4Runner is similar to what you have now. 2WD, full-time 4WD (essentially AWD), and part-time 4WD (aka "true 4WD"). I like the AWD option for snowy roads where you can go from high traction roads (where you do not want part-time 4WD), to ice and snow where 4WD is useful.

DuneSuby likes this.
  12. Dono2

My truck started life as a AWD.
    I replaced it with a 4406 transfer case from an F-150 and cut a hole in the floor boards for the selector. I have true 4wd, 4-Hi, and 4-lo. This transfer case is much stronger than the AWD case the Explorer came with.

DuneSuby likes this.
  13. 91turboterror

You have to do any custom driveshafts? The front explorer DS isn't all that strong

14. Robb235

Which scavenge pump did you end up going with?

15. Dono2

Yes, the front is custom, and the rear is an expedition drive shaft.
    I've never heard of anyone ever breaking an explorer drive shaft, front or rear.

I have the turbowerx exa pump. No point in risking a weak link.

16. FocusST3

For a write up on the 4406 swap, Check the explorer forums. it is a popular swap.

Tim

17. 91turboterror

It's very very common for the 5.0 explorers to break front driveshafts.

18. Dono2

Really?
    I know the cv joint goes in them, but not breaking them.
    Is this what your talking about?

19. sticman

Just read thru this thread and l am subscribing
    Good look with the build and keep those updates coming

DuneSuby likes this.
  20. Dono2

Ok, its moving along.
    I don't have the intercooler hooked up and won't till I get the turbo installed. Slot maf is just after the intercooler attached to the frame.

Im hoping to have the turbo installed next week along with the 60lb injectors next week. A few progress pics.

cold side under hood.jpg #ad

Cold side wheel well 2.jpg #ad

exa oil return pump mounted.jpg #ad

intercooler under frame.jpg #ad

turbo oil feed.jpg #ad