1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1993 turbo mustang

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by nealysa, Nov 8, 2008.

1. HI85WH1

Unless I want to do sand drags... no track times.. no asphalt drag strip.

I think it was 485 open... need to go back and check...

Honestly?.. go solid roller.. seen too many horror stories regarding hydraulic roller failures.

2. HI85WH1

Here's a couple of side by sides for comparison...

3. nealysa

Hey Rob, Hopefully you have some expensive solid lifters headed your way. :cheers:

4. Chad89GT

Another update and another new owner... LOL! Sean (nealysa) Rob and I are all friends. I wanted to buy the car the 1st time Sean sold it but it wasn't in the cards at the time. Fortunately for me, Rob is a GM guy with OCD who did a lot of detail work then lost interest in the car. :) I bought it from Rob last week and will be taking delivery as soon as I get a tow truck up to his place.

I've been involved with Sean's build of this car since Day 1. Its been a bad ass combo save for the damn lifter issues. Can't wait to drop the Lunati pressurized solid lifters in and get it on the dydo. Rob turned the boost up to 10#, should make some decent #s on pump gas :)

5. nealysa

Hope to see/hear it tearing up the streets with the new lifters. :cheers:

6. Stangguy

Wow, can't believe you guys have had this much trouble. I have ran more pressure than that on a lot of my combos. The last was my 408, and it would see 6900 on every pass then drive home 45 miles. This was with stock roller lifters, not fms or modified ones. You will like the solids if you go with a tight lash solid roller. Just don't set the idle too low.

7. Mike93SVT

that's awesome that the car traveled through friends. get that thing fixed up and running right :cheers:

8. Chad89GT

I know, right? Pushrod geometry was checked and tripple checked as was coil bind (measured on a spring pressure machine) and retainer/guide clearance. I've built way wilder motors than this w/o an issue... We're all like WTF over it :/

Gonna try the Lunati solid lifters with the current Jay Allen billet core "hydro" roller cam. The lifters feed oil pressure to the rollers for longer street life. Will post up how they work out.

9. Stangguy

I run Crower severe duty HIPPO. They also have the hi pressure pin oiling.

10. nealysa

Some cool news - I just completed another deployment and moved back to Hawaii and managed to purchase the car back, again. Lol. It's pretty cool how it went from me to two friends and back to me again. Some Lunati solid lifters in there now and she seems to be running great on just over 11# and pump gas. Oh, it sems to get about 7 miles/gallon with it matted to the floor.

11. Mike93SVT

that's awesome. glad to hear you go the car back again. any other changes in the works? let's see some recent pics and what's changed on it

12. nealysa

I'll be tinkering with the tune, but the last guys that had it did a damn fine job getting it running well. Here it is on 10# and 92 pump. I wish the video was from something better than my phone.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. nealysa

Trying to link the video again.
    [​IMG]#ad

14. nealysa

It is still running great except for this. My fault really. 6ish year old tires, 3rd gear on the rev limiter at 6k = about a 100 mph burnout. Both rears blew. Now I'm looking to upgrade to some rims and drag radials. I have stock suspension with Baer brakes. What size wheel, tire and back spacing would some of you recommend?
    [​IMG]#ad

15. nealysa

Oh, the rear is shortened 1 inch each side.

16. nealysa

Finally some body work and paint.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad