1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(DYNO results in!!!!!)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 302f150, Jul 21, 2010.

1. stackz

great thread. was just contemplating putting an hx40 or hx35 on.

um...

I thought yours had a t4 housing on it if I read right? did I read wrong? internet is messing up so I'm not going back to reread right this minute lol. if you really have a t3 housing and are going to a t4 you're gonna spool even higher in the rpm band than you already are if I'm thinking correctly. I'd think you'd want a smaller housing and spool faster...

2. 302f150

That means I had a t3 when I got the turbo, but I traded for a t4, the t4 is what I have on the turbo now(The t3 was really small, 13cm I think, I knew it would be too small). It's a huge t4 though, which is why it spools so slow

3. Hahns5.2

I've been reading up on using P-trim turbine housings on HX40s (like Forcefed86 has), apparently you've just gotta machine a couple MM out of the inside of the housing and it bolts right up, giving you a ton of hot side options. I'm thinking a T4 .81 a/r HX40 is gonna be my next turbo.

4. BoostedDownUnder

5. 302f150

Yeah, I'm actually in the middle of a 5 lug swap and rear disc conversion plus rear upgrade. Got an 03/04 cobra 31 spline carrier with carbon fiber clutches, moser 31 spline axles, welded the tubes on the axle housing, and am going with 99-04 PBR twin pistons on the front and v6/GT rear discs. I'll have pics up soon, they aren't on my computer right now.

6. 302f150

Got the swap 95% completed. I need to modify the e-brake handle apparently to make the brakes not drag on the rear. Here is a teaser pic, only one I have uploaded right now.
    [​IMG]#ad

7. turbostang500

8. 302f150

Thanks for the thumbs up haha. How is the single hx35 doing? What kinda boost are you running?

9. BreakDancer

Looks great! I spent an hour 2 nights ago looking for your build to see what you did about the header to spark plug with the gt40p. looks like yours clear by a mile Im all types of fucked right now with mine haha.

10. 302f150

They didn't all clear with the FRPP racing wires(read: I burnt one or two off haha). I bought the Taylor wire kit with all 90 degree boots(made them custom length so I could route them away from exhaust) and they clear really well.

11. turbostang500

It must have been doing ok cause I popped the T5 back in June! Lol
    It was running 11psi and was wanting more. I was at the top of 3rd gear when it let go.
    Then my baby boy was born so money is clamped down! Lol
    I do have a th400 sitting in the garage waiting on my to rebuild and go through everything to intall it.

12. 302f150

Just a small update. I keep forgetting to get all my pictures in one place. Some on camera, some on cell, some on laptop, some on desktop....
    Here are the majority of the components. Got the 5 lug stuff from mpsautosalvage.

On the rear brakes I cut sn95 backing plates into a "C" shape and mounted them inboard to retain stock fox track width. Used moser 31 spline fox length axles. For the ebrake I had to drill and mount a bracket in the trans tunnel, and disable the auto ratchet mechanism in the e-brake handle. I can post more details if someone wants them.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  13. Cpt. Slow

Mine has a .96 A/R hot side. My 347 hits full boost at 3k. It is a slightly worked over HX40 though. I suppose it could have a different wheel in it.

14. 88stanglx

Nice build. I'm working on putting together a turbo setup for my fox but learning about the right size to get. Car looks great!

15. reef

this is a great thread..i just recently sold my VS racing GT45 because i was going to go with twin's...but the more i thought about about it, the more i wanted a smaller more responsive single turbo..i just bought a brand new genuine H1C with the 8 blade 58mm compressor wheel and 67mm exhaust wheel with the 26cm housing..im a little concerned about the exhaust housing but my LSX 4.8 flow a bit more air than a iron head 302 and i have a yank 3600 turbo converter so that also should help..

before i started the LSX swap i had my stock 91 short block with ported E7 heads, cobra rockers, e-cam, stock ported intake manifold, 42lb injectors, PMASS meter with a on3 mild steel 70mm turbo kit...on 12 psi and pump gas i made 488/510 tuned by Chris at PAS in raleigh NC..it was fun until i cracked the block..lol

im hoping to make a reasonable 500whp with my LS 4.8 and the H1C..going to shoot for 15psi and i have some good base maps burned into my megasquirt from Denmah

16. 302f150

Just a quick question: Has anyone had success with brake flaring tools from parts houses? I rented 4 or 5 total, and the size that was supposed to fit my car just would NOT seal. I used the vise from one kit and the insert from another to finally get halfway decent flares... they kept bending lines or making crooked flares. Yes I deburred the line after it was cut and used the size that fit the most tightly which matched the sizing of factory hardlines according to all the googling I did. I crawled under my car checking things out(read: muffler hanger broke) and I noticed one brake line is seeping. I want to replace everything from the factory hardline at the rear axle, I tried to remove it and it's stuck so I will need to cut and flare several fittings. The crappy things from parts houses just don't seem to be reliable

17. 302f150

Here is a video from my trip to Darlington dragway. Stuck my go pro to the side of the car and made a few runs. Not great times, best ET was 12.316, best MPH was 119.6. Should be able to get low 11s with really aggressive launch on slicks with that MPH I believe
    http://youtu.be/c3LvDmyb1zs

18. jemachine

I just found your videos. Thanks for posting. I ran a hx 40 on a bone stock 350 chevy in a 69 chevelle last fall and got a 12.19 out of it not intercooled. Mine came in at about 2500 rpm with a 17 cm housing blow thru 650 holley. Had a lot of fun from a junk motor, those turbos do pretty good on a budget setup. I would like to try it this year with a transbrake leaving on boost, what future mods are in store for your combo?

19. 302f150

I am currently changing suspension to something less drag strip oriented and more street/ road race oriented. I have 2 friends that road race and autocross and I've been itching to try it in my car.

Also wanting to put AC in the car, but I don't have access to a shop(I don't have welder, large air compressor, AC recharge equip, etc) without pulling a huge favor from a friend of a friend so I'm sitting on the fence about the whole thing. Turbo kit will definitely need to be modified if I'm keeping it and adding AC, plus front sway bar won't clear my wastegate to exhaust merge pipe. That's an easy fix for now with unmuffled wastegate but idk about the rest

20. 302f150