1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(DYNO results in!!!!!)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 302f150, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 302f150

Re: 1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(lots of pics)

Previous page. :D im using a megasquirt ii. I like it a lot actually. Didn't take me long at all to get a solid tune and it has plenty of features.

2. 302f150

Yesterday:
    Took the driveshaft completely out to take it to a shop. Found out the front side is also spinning in the yoke. What's a driveshaft minus a slip yoke, companion yoke, and two weld yokes? A tube. Looks like I'll be getting a new driveshaft from scratch.

Today:
    Driveshaft shop has the Driveshaft. He said "what in the hell. I've been doing driveshafts for 35 years and I've never seen it wear the steel parts with the aluminum. What are you doing to this thing?" I told him I drove it everyday lol. He is working on a price quote.

Wallet braced for impact

3. 302f150

Got some goodies. Driveshaft safety loop and the team z motorsports solid control arms. The driveshaft shop quoted me $306 for an all new steel driveshaft with 1330 hardened u-joints with slip yoke and companion flange. Should have it tomorrow. Hopefully car will be back on the road thursday or friday. Still gotta finish welding the torque boxes along with the control arm installation and driveshaft loop. :welder:

4. 302f150

Got everything done I believe. It was midnight, raining and 45, so I just babied it home. I actually think the ride feels better with the solid control arms. I only hit about 55mph max but I didn't hear a major difference between before and after. Here are some pics,ignore the n00by looking welds. The only experience I have is welding on my car lol, but they aren't terrible and they are joining the metal successfully. I am now chasing a problem with launch control in megasquirt, it decided to always be armed even though the clutch switch and input is working fine. Yay

5. jaywill

looking good :D

6. sweat90lx

nothing wrong with those welds. angle was a little off but will hold fine. try to get a 45* angle between the metals and push the weld puddle
    keep up the good work!!

7. 302f150

Well, the local dyno was having an event and I decided since I couldn't get to the strip I'd run it. I was shooting for 425whp, it made 444! I'm pretty happy with the results.
    Youtube video of the run

Picture of the dyno graph

8. bumblebee

Nice! :)

How much boost?

9. 302f150

Oh, didn't realize I didn't list that anywhere. 10.2psi of boost, pump gas with 18 degrees timing.

10. nos10racer

awesome

11. fastbarry

so that turbo i sold ya is workin out good then. cool! did it end up needing any repairs?

barry

12. 302f150

The compressor wheel was eroded a decent amount, so I bought a new wheel and a rebuild kit and went through it. I use the old wheel as a paper weight haha. Turbine shaft and all was fine. I did a little polish on the compressor housing where some of the debris had pitted it. Ended up with a couple hours and $130 extra bucks into it. Then I swapped turbine housings with a guy from dsmtuners for an even trade. Gave him the t3 and I got his t4. Not a bad deal at all.

On another note, I tried my hand at windows movie maker and threw this together. Let me know what you guys think.

13. thundercoupe

This thread is awesome, very nice build :2thumbs:

14. jaywill

15. 302f150

Thanks guys. I'm feeling pretty happy with it for now. We'll see what's in store for it next. Beginning of next year should be 5 lug swap and brake upgrade. It never ends haha :cheers:

16. racesloth

Update??

17. jfive

Sweet.

18. 302f150

Nothing happening as of now. I paid a guy for spindles and all rear brake components, then he scrapped the car the week before I was supposed to pick it all up. He says he kept the rear and can get me the fronts... not holding my breath :doh:

19. Forcefed86

So how much steam do you think the hx40 has left in it? Have you ever measured your back pressure? I know a few of the DSM guys have pushed over 700 AWHP through this turbo. My hx40 really starts to pick up around 20 psi on my 2 liter (10 psi by 4k) The guys making the big power are in the 40+psi range.

I'm just wondering if the 40 has enough flow to keep 15-20 psi worth of pressure through a 5 liter. Have you ever tried running less timing and cranking the boost up a few lbs? Or using race gas for a few more psi? I Really don't think people give these turbos enough credit. The boost recovery between gears is insanely fast. I've run alot of different turbos over the years and nothing comes close to the hx35 and hx40's.

Thanks and nice build!

Heres my HX-40. I used timsturbos .63 AR t3 housing.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here it is next to a 19cm t3.

[​IMG]#ad

20. 302f150

I haven't measured the backpressure, mine doesn't spool until 3500-4000 rpm due to the massive exhaust housing. According to the maps I've found I'm on the far right edge at my boost pressure, these things love high boost, but a single hx40 on a 302 won't ever be a perfect match. I ran it at 15psi once and it blew the tires off at 60mph on 275/60 drag radials. It has something left to give. Twin hx35's at like 15-20 psi look great on the maps iirc. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of twins for my first build.