1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(DYNO results in!!!!!)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 302f150, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 302f150

Re: 1992 Mustang GT DIY HX40w build(lots of pics)

the tune is fine now, especially with the water/meth, the problem is im afraid of lifting the head again. I am thinking about bumping boost up to ten lbs, but I don't have the luxury of time and money if I blow the head gaskets again... kinda stuck until I get new heads or a new engine build lol

2. 302f150

Some new updates. I installed a Megasquirt II with the extra code. Then I hooked up the electronics for launch control and flatshift. I'm hoping to get to the track soon. I was supposed to go last week but plans fell through. I'll post some pics for the update when they finish uploading.

I installed a manual boost controller and the boost is currently peaking at 170kpa, or 10.3 psi. I flatshifted from 2nd at 4k rpm and got a good bit of tire squeal on the street. I also discovered that my turbine housing is a little too large, I'm not hitting full boost until around 3.5-4k rpm.

3. turbostang500

Love the build man! I have a hx35 on my 302 right now and have thought about a bigger one.
    I didn't realize the 40 had that big of a housing!!!! I thought I saw somewhere the hx50 has something around a 17 cm housing?

4. 302f150

Well, initially it had a t3 housing on this one. I found a guy on the dsm forums who had this t4 and I figured it'd be better than choking my engine with a single t3... Not sure which would've been the better route. I've seen guys mention a 19cm t4 housing, I'd love to get my hands on one but I can never track one down... It's not a huge deal now, flatshifting solves my b/t shift boost lag.

btw: what size housing do you have and when do you hit boost?

5. Hahns5.2

FWIW, I have an H1C (HX35) with a 21cm housing and 16 more cubes, if I'm driving along in 4th and punch it, I will break 100kPa at 1750RPMs and the wastegate opens at 7PSI by 2700 RPMs.

What size housing do you have? I was under the impression that the only T4 housing for the HX40 was 19cm..

6. turbostang500

To be completely honest I would have to go look again but I thought it was a 12cm.
    Maybe my numbers are off. I wouldnt think I could be half the size your at.
    I am seeing full boost (9psi) around 2500-2700.
    I have the older hx35 that doesn't have the nipple for the wastegate on the comp housing.
    I am pretty sure it is from the 94-98 5.9 cummins.

7. 302f150

Is that a t3 housing then? I have a t4. I measured it, and ordered a t4 and it matches identically. The housing had 23 stamped in it, and it is pretty large compared to pics i've seen

8. Hahns5.2

Yeah it's T3. And good to know, I guess both the 23cm and 19cm were T4.

9. 302f150

I guess I should've stuck to the t3 housing then... does anyone have a rough guess on the max flow on a t3 housing?

10. 302f150

Picture time:
    This is the bare board for the jimstim, which you use to simulate all of the engine inputs

This is the finished jimstim

This is the megasquirt board assembled, the yellow wires are for the PWM idle valve transistor which I mounted to the case

Here is the only shot I have of the case assembled...

11. turbostang500

I do believe it is a T3. That is why I wanted to go bigger but don't want to lose
    response.
    I was just dumbfounded cause last week I was talking to a guy that wanted to trade
    a hx50 for either a 35 or 40. He told me the housing was either a 17cm or 19cm which I thought
    would be WAY too big! I guess not. SHIT!!! I kinda wanted that for a future windsor build.

12. 302f150

The ratings are an area, not a total volume. So it's not like you are almost doubling the actual size of the housing.... it should be the area of the opening at the turbine I do believe... just thought that might be the idea.

13. turbostang500

Oh, I thought it was volume on these housings and the a/r was area?
    I know the hx35 will come on fast and hit 9 psi quick but that is a trait of the smaller
    housing. I also am running a 50mm wategate but only cause I want to be able to use it
    on a windsor later on. I don't know if that lets me get by with a smaller housing or not.

That might be an interesting conversation for later!
    Can you run a smaller housing with a llarger wastegate?
    In theroy wouldn't the large wastegate allow more exhaust to bypass and help
    exhaust flow? Maybe that should go in a different thread! Haha

14. 302f150

The rating is in cm^2. Any squared units can't be volume, only area.

15. turbostang500

Got ya.

Are you posting pics?
    I would like to see that hx40!!

16. 302f150

There are pics of the turbo on the 1st or 2nd page. I am in the process of resizing pics of the megasquirt and all, they were over 3000 pixels wide

17. 302f150

So, my super awesome polyeurethane control arms died. I never even launched hard or with sticky tires, I got some solid ones from TeamZMotorsports on the way. On another note, I have some driveshaft/u-joint issues. The u-joint caps were spinning in the yoke on my aluminum driveshaft, trying to find out if the wrong diameter cap was used or if somehow the yoke got enlarged... some pics for your entertainment

18. 302f150

Taken from my post in the other tech section. Just putting it here to keep everything in the build thread updated. As you can see from the pics, the torque boxes aren't fully welded(just welded here and there). Though I do have torque box reinforcement paltes. I'm gonna go ahead and weld everything up, a friend is letting me do the work in his shop and I'll have access to a welder and a lift. Trying to sort out my driveshaft issues, have to wait til the work week starts back for info from some driveline shops.

From other post:
    Okay, I took the rear apart. The caps spin completely freely in the yoke. The retaining clip stays stationary. I mic'd the outside of the cap after I cleaned it and got a diameter of 1.063 inches.

After removing the retainer clips I pulled the u-joints out BY HAND.

I measured the yoke, it's at 1.068... the pinion companion flange was also worn. The STEEL one. I did some digging, made a call to Marty at supershafts.com. Turns out you should have u-joints with coated caps on aluminum driveshafts to prevent galvanic corrosion(electrolysis). You can buy some u-joints online that have the caps that are coated. Marty also said you can just take some enamel paint and coat the caps, let it dry and then press them in.

Either way my driveshaft is boned. Gonna have to get a new yoke and companion flange at minimum, I'm worried the other side might have started corroding, even though it isn't evident right now. Just thought I'd post some info and maybe save someone this headache

19. jaywill

keep at it :2thumbs:

20. SN 94cobra turbo351w

not bad run vs the supra.so that supra makes 711 and only runs 10.8 wow that kind of powere in a mustang and you are running low 10s high 9s...what are you using to tude it and how do you like it.