1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1992 Isuzu pickup Turbo build [UPDATE: New combo page 2]

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by snapc3, May 22, 2009.

1. zrg91gt

Re: 1992 Isuzu pickup Turbo 5.0 build [UPDATE: running with videos]

That's frickin' awesome. And I thought my Mustang was a sleeper......

2. MONTEGOD7SS

Nice truck. I was born in Cocoa, and knew all of that looked somewhat familiar.

3. allmtr

That's awesome, mate. Well done!!!!

4. HAULIN IT

Very nice work on making the pipes! They have "The Right Flow" from one bend to the next, ect. Well Done! Is the front of your bed floor cut out? If not, that & an "airscoop" sticking down under the floor a few inches to get some air through the rad could make a big difference in cooling. Lorne

5. chromeyellow

nice jig you made for the pipes, cool build!

6. snapc3

Update:
    I put a new rear end in the truck, the open rear and 4.11's were no good. I got a 31 spline ford 8.8 with 3.73's (might go to 3.55 later) out of a Mercury Mountaineer a local LQK self serve with the disk brakes. Since the pinion is offset I had to get a fuel cell because the driveshaft was a little too close for comfort to the gas tank. I also ran all new fuel lines (no more rubber anywhere). Had a local guy modify the aluminum driveshaft from the Mountaineer to work. Picked up a used set of jeep wheels for the back and got some 275/50/15 radial T/A's to put on them. The truck has never really been fast out of the hole because of traction problems, buts its a whole new deal now. Took the truck to get weighed and was pretty happy with it, 2980 with a half tank of gas and no driver. Just a few more things to button up and its ready to make a trip to OSW, turn up the boost and keep tuning.
    pics:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

still need to get tailgate latches, also have a rollpan that needs to go on
    [​IMG]#ad

posi rear end, new tires, and a line lock... had to test it out.
    [​IMG]#ad

7. allmtr

lookin good.

The factory diff's are SO heavy in these things. Axles look nearly two inches thick :)

8. snapc3

they used a couple differnt axle in them. Mine had a GM 10bolt, but some came with a 3rd member axle that I think is an Isuzu part, and from what ive read they are pretty strong.

9. Unatural

That's pretty cool man. I'd like to check it out sometime. :2thumbs:

10. snapc3

where in Melbourne are you?

11. Unatural

Near Dairy and Eber.

12. hasa68mustang

that thing is awesome! :2thumbs:

13. CW25

Just be careful about using lowering blocks on the rear when you start hooking decent power. You will trash the rear without some way to control axle wrap. I bent a set of springs already. :2thumbs:

14. 302project

Nice truck! :2thumbs:
    how much hp?

15. snapc3

Well a week or so ago I lunched 3rd gear in the T5. :bang: I knew it was coming but didn't think it would be that soon. I will be dropping the AOD that used to be in the truck back in. Hoping it will be a little quicker with the auto after reading a few auto vs manual threads on here. Now I need to deal with finding a decent torque converter. Does anyone have any suggestions? Id really not like to spend 700$ on a custom converter if I don't have to. Would the stock converter that I have even stand up to the power, just to make it driveable untill I get another converter?

16. mfpmax

Check back on that stang forum, someone may have a converter or give you the info for Dave Burgess? I think is the name.

17. snapc3

Dave Burgess? Is he a local builder?

18. TexasTwins

If you ever try to get every little bit of power out of it you should take the smaller section between the vband and cone out of the down pipe.

19. 96Tangg

Good Looking Project. I would line up next to never expecting it to be a monster.
    Did you get the rediator cooling issue all worked out? any plans for a bed cover so nobody sees the good back there?

Dave

20. snapc3

It took a little longer then I wanted it to but the truck is back up and running. Automatic AOD and 3600 non lockup converter are in, along with water/meth injection. The auto changed the whole feel of it but its for the better. Boost is almost instant now, no drop between shifts, and it is just a lot easier to drive. I still need to make a new center console to fit the new shifter but that's all cosmetic stuff. Here's a few pics, cant see much transmission wise but oh well.
    here's some pics.
    cooler
    [​IMG]#ad

meth pump and injector
    [​IMG]#ad

old washer tank now repurposed
    [​IMG]#ad

my favorite picture
    [​IMG]#ad

once I got the auto in I was able to go to Funday Sunday at Speed World yesterday.
    Made 6 runs, each one faster then the last, by tweeking the AFR's.
    Best pass was:
    60' 1.848
    330 5.124
    1/8 7.821
    mph 91.24
    1000 10.151
    1/4 12.138
    mph 113.08

I'm pretty sure If I could have hit 11's if I tweaked the fuel some more, still running 10:1ish AFR's, 22 degrees total timing.
    With some better brakes I could get a better launch, right now they will only hold stalling up to around 2800-2900 (3600 stall converter) and get that 60' time down some more.
    Does anyone know if they make upgraded brakes for the explorer 8.8's? or any ideas? I think the brake mounts are differnt then the car 8.8's

Overall I'm happy with the improvement from the 5 speed, and it goes a lot smother down the track not having to shift. (best run was 12.9 with the 5 speed)
    Got a video from a picture camera so its not great quality, but better then nothing.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

At the start of the video you can hear the announcer say it looks like an s10 from here, its funny because no one knows what it is. Even if I tell them, most people don't know what an Isuzu is. BTW those 335 bmws are pretty quick, high 12s and it was stock, super nice cars.

I am planing on dropping the radiator a little lower and ducting it. That way I can put a tonneau cover on the bed. The stuff in the bed is the only give-away (other then the exhaust). Its funny to see people at the track look at it confused, especially because i leave the hook closed because it cools just fine since the radiator is in the bed lol.