1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 Silverado Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by craig6.9diesel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. 1BadV6ThirdGen

Re: 1989 Silverado

dont forget that changing the ignition timming will change the afrs, so work on the fuel table a lil then work on the ignition then back to the fuel etc

2. craig6.9diesel

yeah I know. I havent even really done any tuning other then sitting in my driveway for an hour yesterday. When I drove it around the block I didnt datat log or anything, :doh: Im a dumbass.

3. CW25

Once I got the tune rouphed in I would datalog a drive with all kinds of driving then run it through megalogviewer then let it calculate a decent map apply that and try again. I haven't tried the ve analize live but have heard good things.

4. craig6.9diesel

I just got the ve analyzer about an hour ago. I have a question for you though. Is it normal to have timing advance in the 50 degree range? It seems to be alot to me and I cant really find much info on tuning timing advance. I had it running pretty good but I higher RPMS its leaning out so I tried using the Analyzer and it seemed to smooth out my just off idle stumble but now it doesnt idle worth a crap. I cant get my wife to drive it like I need her to and I spent my money on the analyzer and I didnt buy the Log Viewer... sucks I though it was free!

On another subject I thought I hurt my motor. I pulled in the drive way and started hearing some churping, it sounded similar to rod bearing spin. I was like shit it didnt think I was that bad at this! I already destroyed my motor! But Im pretty sure its the belt, atleast thats what I am hoping! I will check it out in the morning when I can see.

5. craig6.9diesel

I have driven my truck quiet a bit now probably have 30 or 40 miles on it now. My o2 sensor acts up every now and then where it seems to get stuck around 12.5 AFRs and bot times it has done it I was in autotune mode so it starts yanking fuel out of it. I need to have the position of my o2 sensor bung moved because it is pretty close to the 6 o'clock position, could that be what is causing it to do this?

6. blown385

6:00 could cause condensation to hurt the sensor .

I would move it and buy another sensor just to be safe . :2thumbs:

7. TrendSetter

the timing has to do with 'where' the motor is running on the map. normally that kind of timing (50btdc) is seen at cruise rpms with low load/vacuum.
    i bought a msd programmable 6al2 for my truck when i first threw it together and even though its fully programmable i just have a flat map and it runs great. you shouldnt really need to move your timing around too much from base, aside from adjusting it for boost obviously. base timing is going to depend mostly on your cylinder heads and camshaft profile with coolant temp also playing a minor role.

8. craig6.9diesel

The weird thing is with my timing is that in my timing map the most advance that is in there is like 32 degrees then plus by base of 12, thats 44, not 60 where I have seen it go a time or 2. This is really all that is totally confusing me.

On another note I have been thinking seriously about ditching the 350 and getting a 5.3. There is a salvage yard just down the road that has like 7 of these around 100,000 for like 500 bucks. I could sell my intake, distributor, headers, throttle body, heads, and maybe even my short block for probably more then 1000$ for everything and all I would have to do is figure out how to make the ignition work. Which I dont think would be that hard. Just a thought.

9. Centrifuge

I would consider getting the tune and all the maps figured out on the engine you have now. If nothing else it will give u more confidence on the next motor.... for what its worth

10. craig6.9diesel

That is the plan. I am running the stock TBI right now and its not costing me anything to leave it like this and tuning is the same other then I will have 8 injectors instead of 2. Plus I was thinkin instead of running the ignition off the megasquirt get one of those MSD 6LS boxes but I dont know.

I think I have got the fuel figured out. Its running pretty good and I am getting the timing thing figured out too. I heard a little spark knock under high load I pulled a about 5 degrees out in the table and it seemed to take care of it. I got off work at 5 AM this morning and tuned a bit. Snapped a pic of tuner studio up and running.

0408110502.jpg #ad

11. Centrifuge

I think tuner studio is a great pc of software, i have the full version and i think it was worth every penny, i have tuned with some 'name brand' hi dollar software and it was not as good. Of course i have never tuned with boost. were you able to run the standard issue map sensor with MS? i think it goes to 2bar or something but you can get a sensor that goes higher if i remember right??

12. craig6.9diesel

I havent got any boost yet either. I have the turbo but I still need the WG, BOV and some pipe, but I think I am going to wait and just turbo it with the 5.3. I dont want to spend the money or time on getting the fab work done and then have to get all the same stuff to do the 5.3. The MS comes with a 2.5 bar map sensor. I think that is like 19 lbs or something like that.

13. 1BadV6ThirdGen

21 psi , and u can buy the mapdaddy sensor which is good to 44 psi

14. craig6.9diesel

I dont plan on doing anything more then 8 to 10 for now so I think 21 is going to handle it!

15. craig6.9diesel

Welp I just posted my XR70 on craigslist to try and get some funds together and finish this beast up. Or atleast get some more parts.

16. jfive

Are you using an intercooler with this build. If so you got one picked out yet.

17. craig6.9diesel

I wasnt planing on it at first. Atleast with my first turbo. but I was thinking about using a S475 once I have it running good and then I was going to get one. I have thought about a water to air type but Im not sure yet. So I would say no I dont have one picked out yet.

18. fullsizeterror

glad were takin the same route to get funds :lh:

19. craig6.9diesel

My wife wont let me spend to much money with all this budget stuff going on because I may not get a pay check the next couple weeks beings how I work for the government that cant figure out what the heck is going on. I find it funny that they will still get paid no matter what happens but the people that need the money to make ends meet dont get jack! So we are actually kinda in the same boat! You got screwed by some jackass and Im getting screwed by a bunch of them! What is this world coming to? Ok Im done with my gripe for today! :bah:

20. fullsizeterror

feel ya, my brother is in afghanistan and my dad is in iraq, my dad is a civilian contractor but since they are funded by the man too they sent him a nice letter saying "enjoy you stay in hell, for free" or thats how i read it anyway :bah: