1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 Silverado Build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by craig6.9diesel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Centrifuge

Re: 1989 Silverado

good deal! :chacha:
    I have found tuner studio to be a great software

2. craig6.9diesel

I need to buy the full version, I hear that helps out the average joe tuner a bunch! Oh yeah I just notice that I am not a newbie anymore! Kinda proud of that! I will get some pics up ounce I have all the wiring cleaned up!

3. Centrifuge

It does have added features that are handy, and the truth is its really cheap. Keep us updated!

4. craig6.9diesel

I am going to get it running better on Saturday and make the wife drive it while I tune it.... This should be fun!

5. Centrifuge

careful !! your asking for problems!! :eek: :eek: :doh: :doh: :bang: :bah: :bah: :bah: lol J/K

6. craig6.9diesel

I know what you are sayin!!! I may be smackin my head on a wall before I am done.... But you never know, My wife does enjoy driving my truck though. When I was at basic training she would drive it a couple times a week.

7. craig6.9diesel

Anybody use an LC-1 wideband? I cant get it to work.... It show like 10.3 AFRs all the time no matter what I do... I have tried recalibrating it, I have the 2 grounds soldered together in a eyelet connector and bolted to the same ground as the MS2... The positive is going to a 12v relay switched and the yellow analog wire is going to the MS2.... I have been messing with it for 2 days now and dont know what I did wrong.

8. craig6.9diesel

Ok I figured it out... I did some research and found that the yellow analog output is narrow band and the brown wire is the wide band. I changed it around and it works! I havent really had a chance to tune on it cause I had to work today but hopefully I wont get called in tomorrow too. I hope to atleast drive it tomorrow!

9. jfive

Which version MS2 did you build. I think I am gonna just get the V3.57 MSII and get it done. Can't wait to just start my engine on standalone.

10. craig6.9diesel

The 3.0, It wasnt really that hard to do and I would have had it done in probably a week or maybe 2 but I messed up the board and had to send it to a guy to be fixed. I would probably build another one, I dont have very much money so I used the extra money from building my own to buy the wide band. What are you building?

11. jfive

the enemy. A ford ranger with a 2.3 4cyl. Should be close to 350rwhp though.

12. craig6.9diesel

I helped my best man at my wedding build a turbo coupe! I love 2.3 liter fords! I want a mustang 2.3 5 speed pretty bad.

13. craig6.9diesel

I ended up spending the whole day trying to get all my wiring cleaned up. Once I was done I couldnt get the thing to even crank... Spent an hour trying to figure it out and found the culprit, the wire going to the started solenoid had a connector in it that had come loose! WTP, so now I am finishing up my wiring and hopefully start tuning a bit and see if I can get this thing idling smooth atleast.

14. CW25

Make sure you calibrate the MSII to the same as the output of the LC1. I actually calibrate mine to 10:1 AFR at 0 volts and 16.5:1 at 5 volts. It gives you a little more resilution as compared to the factory settings of 7.35 AFR at 0 volts and 22.XX AFR at 5 volts. IMO who cares about what happens out of those perameters.

15. craig6.9diesel

How do I do that? Do go to Tools - calibrate AFR table and then go to custom linear wb? I have it set to default LC-1 right now. Another thing some times it reads what I think would be where I want it and it seems to be idling pretty good AFRs seem good around mid 13s to mid 14s and then I shut the truck off and restart it and it seems like its running different and my O2 doesnt seem like it is doing anything. Like sits at 12.2-12.3 and doesnt really move. And sometimes when I make changes in the VE table it doesnt seem to affect the AFRs and sometimes it does.

16. CW25

Yep that is how you do it in tuner studio. You also have to change it in the LC1 with the LM programer. Just be sure they are the same values you put into the tunerstudio. You can set both outputs. I have one output going to my MS and one going to my DB gauge. That way when tuning I can just glance at the A/F gauge and see I am not going to hurt anything. It is just something I like to do. If just started it and the gauge dosn't react like you think it may be warming up or your afterstart enrichment is still active. It will add extra fuel for however many cycles you have it set for. If the grounding is good then it should be working just fine. I havn't had any issues with mine yet.

17. craig6.9diesel

Ok thanks, I havent really figured it all out yet. I will keep messing with it it till Ive got it figured out. It sucks caust all the mega manual is all mega tune stuff and I know it mostly the same but some the stuff are under different menus and some suff is totally different.

18. 1BadV6ThirdGen

everytime u power cycle the lc-1 it take time before it will start to read. i think most widebands are about 30 seconds

19. CW25

Yeah that is the time the sensor needs to warm up. It won't read until that happens.
    Yeah you kinda have to take the mega manual in stride and spply it to the tuner studio. I don't even have a full version right now. LOL Truck has been parked for over 6 months and was tuned pretty good before that. I will have to get the full version when it is up and running again.

20. craig6.9diesel

I read somewhere that the controller doesnt like heat so I re-routed my wiring so the controller is in my cab now. I recalibrated it also, like you had described and I like that better too! It seems the be working better now. It kept bogging when I would try to rev it and it sounded fat as hell to me and the O2 was jumping around so much yesterday that I couldnt really tell what it was doing, but it was actually leaning out pretty good like 18-1. So I went to my fuel ve table and did the multiplier typed in 1.2 and it made it way better. I actually was able to drive it around the block, but then I had to go to work. I still have to work on just off idle with and without a load, it seems to stumble a little. I havent really messed with the ignition to much other then setting my offset and pulling some out across the board for safety sake. I figure one fight at a time.