1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 LX 347 True Street/Drag Week GT5294

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by mcj50, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mcj50

We made it out for the top 8 race at etown.

http://youtu.be/QO-Gth7xuDk

We kept adding power out of hole and did find what I think is a best 1/8 mile of the season. The car went 1.31 60, 5.25 at 137.5.

It had close to 30% slip at the 1/8.

By contrast my 8.16 pass at maple grove was a 5.36 1/8, because my car is so lazy out of the hole I have a really aggressive back split. If you add the back half of the 8.16 a 5.25 is probably close to a 7 second pass but the car is clearly not working right.

The problem is, the more power we put in it, it doesn't go any faster just slips the converter more.

We got as high as 5500 rpm and 15 psi at launch and it went almost the exact same time as 5300 and 12 psi.

Fortunately the rest of the car is working.

2. PEARL MUSSIN

I saw u make a pass on sat. What happened? Love your car, sleeper... well except for the chute :)

3. mcj50

Starter failed. Converter was slipping really bad before.

Both are fixed as of tonight. Will post a more complete update soon.

4. Chris91LX

Any updates Mike? Hopefully you've worked out all the bugs?

5. mcj50

I had the paint work done on the car.

One trip to the track that looked promising but bumped into a couple of small things.

Will report back soon.

6. mcj50

[​IMG]#ad

Cervini hatch installed. Body work done around wheel wells. Car came out good. Looks clean again.

I just set up the Haltech to allow me to switch between pump and race gas tunes with a dial. I have alternate boost cut, target AF, VE and timing tables.

Also have a new pad compound and piston size from Baer for front brakes to try to minimize noise but still optimize stopping power.

I have a new converter in the car that I am going to do a more complete report out on soon. Would like to wait until I get out to the track one more time. I think we are in a much better place.

[​IMG]#ad

You can see already my boost dip is gone and we have a nice drop on the shift. Had the makings of a nice pass but had the traction control on and got into the control curve 3 times.

7. Chris91LX

:thumbsup: Glad to see it's coming together. Paint looks great!

8. mcj50

I am late providing an update here so will hammer a few notes out

-Successfully completed drag week with an 8.18 average.
    -Had my GT5288 turbo bearing fail in KY for NMRA and didn't have a spare with me
    -GT5294 turbo is on the car now and has a much better boost curve and spools faster
    -Best time is still [email protected]
    -The 88mm turbo is now a backup 94 with a more current compressor wheel.

No major changes this winter. Going to concentrate on being ready for the spring break shootout.

9. mcj50

Launch.jpg #ad

- - - Updated - - -

trailer3 2.jpg #ad

Launch.jpg #ad

trailer3 2.jpg #ad

10. mcj50

11. 93AlexCoupe

So close to that 7!!

12. Hemann

Drag week is quite an accomplishment. Congrats.

Why do you think the 94 spooled faster than the 88?

13. 93AlexCoupe

Mike, you haven't posted the video of when you accepted the award?? [emoji12]lol

14. mcj50

Go away!

15. mcj50

I was surprised by this as well. Jose explained that the compressor wheel design is more modern on the 94 then the 88. The compressor wheel he put back in my 88 (now a 94) is several iterations beyond the current 94 and he said it should spool faster.

The other thing I noticed is how well behaved the boost curve is. It is nice and smooth, doesn't even change on the 1-2 shift. I believe that is the difference between running the 88 all out versus running the 94 at 70-80% capacity.

16. FLBoostAddict

Glad to hear you are getting everything sorted. Congrats on the DW results....significant accomplishment.

17. TooFast98Cobra

18. racesloth

2nd place in small block PA is quite an accomplishment! Big time congrats!

19. 2slowfox

Congratulations on completing drag week!

20. Chris91LX

Congrats!