1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 LX 347 True Street/Drag Week GT5294

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by mcj50, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mcj50

The new breathers didn't work. I got oil out of them.

Went to Atco tonight. No more miss. Two very clean shakedown passes with easy launches. New best mph 172.38. Both 8.4x with lazy 60's. I have a couple of little things to take care of and then back to the track Tuesday.

2. nj636

Congrats on the new PB mph!
    I had nothing going on I wouldn't have come out for the night, still waiting on this starter in the snail mail..

3. bumblebee

Awsome build!

Is it still on T4 based turbo?

4. mcj50

I should have sent you a text. We only made two passes. I have to put that catch can back on. It sprayed oil on pass two.

I also need to replace the header studs in the passenger header---I broke one.

5. mcj50

Yes---this turbo is a ETR HO Billet Wheel matched to a gt52 turbo with a highly modified PTE PT88 based T4 housing.

6. mcj50

Yes, I have issues.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412270774.688544.jpg #ad

Mongloid 76mm turbo to compete in the Import vs Domestic world finals down in MD.

GT50 99 mm turbine wheel, hot off of the presses very custom 76 mm wheel in a GT47 based compressor housing.

A similar turbo on a larger motor ultra street car with a class legal gt47 turbine wheel went 5.0 in the 1/8.

I am looking forward to testing this thing and see how it works on my little motor.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412270774.688544.jpg #ad

7. mcj50

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412270992.687276.jpg #ad

This is a good representation of my 60 ft problem. Following the converter flare when the converter locks up it pulls the motor down and I lose boost.

I am working on both rpm and boost increases to push it through that. I don't have an issue with either right now so I think I can get through it.

I suspect the 76 will spool a lot faster and may remedy this easily. We shall see.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412270992.687276.jpg #ad

8. mcj50

That data log is an overlay of two clean passes. You can see that with the second pass (white rpm line and blue map) it made a bit more boost but still did the same thing. Looks like rpm wasn't having the impact we needed --- I suspect adding boost will get it.

9. mcj50

I can't post pictures again now that this is back in the hall if fame. Grrrr

10. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Either you'll need to use a regular browser to do it, or I move the thread back to the regular builds section. I've put hours into chasing down what this might be due to, both sections have the same permissions except this is a sub-section of the other, so I can only chalk it up to some sort of bug... unfortunately at some point I have to throw in the towel.

11. mcj50

Move me back then. Hurts my ego but would rather be able to post pictures.

12. yellowpony

Send them to me, I'll post them in my build thread to up my hits :cheers:

13. mcj50

Spent the night at the dyno --- kinda glad I did it, the tune is very different with the GT5076. Kind of wacky what kind of power you can make with a class specific turbo like that. I am not supposed to share the details due to the ultra street competitive nature (which I care nothing about), but I will tell you it is on par with the GT5088 last year.

Peak power at 21 psi, about 1.5:1 backpressure there, completely different path through the map then the 88 or 94. Makes power faster. Running more timing and a bit leaner then the higher boost other turbos.

Off to Atco tomorrow night. The prep for the WCF continues.

14. ducatibrian

Interesting info mike, just curious under the curve gains and how much quicker did they arrive versus the 88? If you can share generalities. Not concerned about peak numbers really.

How much does it weigh and 4 in downpipe?

Appreciate your sharing as your able.

Lastly, do you think it might be too aggressive for true street track conditions without heavy handed boost control? You can reply to this post track testing.

15. mcj50

The turbo is identical dimensions and weight to my other two. Still the same PTE t4 housing. While it has a gt50 center and gt47 compressor cover they are the same size as the gt52. 50 lbs shipping weight.

I will message you the numbers and will compare dyno graphs tonight.

16. 93AlexCoupe

Good luck Mike. Interested how the 76 works out for you.

17. mcj50

Not a bad first night. Best pass...Launching with about 8.5 psi at 5250 rpm the car went [email protected] w/ a 1.40 60 chattering the tires and slipping slightly.

After adding power the dip in boost is gone vs the 88.

Car feels slow compared to before. Seems like you have to wait forever to shift.

I am pretty tired but may try to go back Friday.

I have Dennis Moore helping me at the track.

18. yellowpony

Great first passes Mike! You will see low 1.3 60's in no time!

Anthony

19. mcj50

20. racerron67

is this what you do to a distributor when you need to make a cam position sensor and then you put a wheel on the crankshaft. why is there only one tooth on the shaft? should there be four?