1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1989 LX 347 True Street/Drag Week GT5294

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by mcj50, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mcj50

Re: 1989 LX BG CUSTOM TURBO PT78/C4 True Street

Yup, I have a bunch of pictures, traveling right now, should have some time to post a bunch when I get back.

I mounted the pump and filter setup to the tank cover but wasn't thrilled with simply bolting the pump on. I cut a piece of steel plate that is roughly the size of the mounting area of the pump, drilled four holes, inserted bolts and tack welded them to the plate.

Drilled matching holes in the tank cover and inserted the bolt ends from the inside of the cover out. I placed heater hose cut in half between the metal plate and the tank to dampen vibration, and then also placed cut fuel hose between the pump and the tank cover as I bolted it on. Will all make more sense when I post the pictures.

Net of it is, pump can be removed without dropping the tank.

2. Turbo_Baer

subscribing :corn:

3. culookn

4. mcj50

culookn: Yes, I am the same guy, this car has not been together yet, it is taking me a long time. I sold the PTK kit I was going to use and ordered one from B&G that I have been patiently waiting for. Trying to have the whole car ready for when it comes, I just uploaded pictures and will be posting them shortly. Do you have a thread on your car?

5. mcj50

Some pictures. You can see wiring is coming together, probably need another long night. Most of the DFI is in. Decided on mounting the digital 6 in the car in an accecssible location since the 2nd stage rev limiter and transbrake RPM will be controlled by that box.

I'm having a problem with that damned B&M hammer shifter, it simply doesn't seem to fit the console, it sits too far towards the firewall. This was an original AOD car and I was able to use the factory rear mounting holes so it "should" line up. Anybody have any experiences with this thing?

I included a picture of the tank below since there were some fuel system requests.

6. mcj50

....and turbo kit should be here early next week. Will take lots of pictures when I get it!

7. mcj50

I have the tracking number from Brian. Kit will be here Monday. Game on!

8. culookn

no build thread on the car..still collecting/making parts of the turbo setup and switching the engine out for the aluminum ford 4.6 block with forged internals. it should be ready by fun ford weekend this year. whats left to do on your notch? did you ever get it together with the old kit?

9. mcj50

Kit arrived! Box took a nice hit on one side denting the aluminum cold side pipe. I didn't unpack the whole box yet. I have to work with Brian on what to do about that but have to make a trip to the west coast today and won't get to it until the end of the week.

I ran into problems with the PTK kit, would have requried extensive modification to work with the high ports. I traded it for cash and a Y trim kit, and sold the Y trim kit. Lost some money but got out of it "ok".

My goal is to show up in Atco at the NMRA race with the turbo car. My cobra is ready to go, but I'm hoping to be able to make it with the blue car.

10. Hemann

With the shifter. Are talking about trying to get the console over the shifter? You will have to take the handle mount off. Two allen head screws on the side. I still had a hard time but it went then.

11. mcj50

Yeah, I can't fit the center console piece over the shifter. What you are explaining sounds like it could work, it is the piece of plastic that will ultimately be in front of (radio side) of the console that is getting jammed up on the top/front of the shifter.

How is that thing anyway? I see a lot of bad reviews of it even though it sure seems like it will look nice.

12. Hemann

I still had to bend the plastic to get it to fit. I think it is meant to be installed with the console in first. It would be easier with two people. One to move the shifter around and the other to hold the console.

I have not used the shifter. Just installed it. I am going to be taking it back out and selling it. I am not going to use the AOD now. Switching to a TH400 or Glide so I will use a different shifter for that.

13. mcj50

Starting to work on installing the kit. Having an issues with the headers already. I have highports and a kit designed for the high ports. The top edge of the headers are hitting the valve cover, which I suppose I can either grind the header or the valve cover. I don't think grinding the valve cover will affect it sealing. Probably a better idea then messing with the header since it will take off the ceramic coating.

Any thoughts?

14. 88stangbanger

im guessing your valve covers have the lip comeing off the edge? i dont see a prob as long as your not cutting into the part that mates to the heads.

15. mcj50

Took the grinder to the top lip of the headers. No other way since the motorsport valve cover gaskets overlap the header significantly. It seems to be fine.

Got the entire hot side bolted up. I have the dual 38 MM waste gate option and have a minor clearance issue on the passenger side. If I don't need the vaccum fitting on the top I should be ok. I'm going to try to get the cold side done before the end of the week. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

-Mike

16. Geddy2112

huh, it was not fun putting my kit in too with the old high ports. I just took a Dewalt grinder, mark the area that hits the valve cover and grinded the top of the flange. Ended up doing extensive modification to my kit to make it fit. Lucky i learned how to TIG. I later recoatd my kit. You can kinda see what i grinded off on the top of the flange.
    [​IMG]#ad

make sure you leave everything loose. You might end up having to smash the crap out of your firewall to get the downpipe to fit. Also, you might have to hog out the headlight area in order for the air filter to fit.

17. mcj50

Looks very similar to what I did, you can barely see it. I'll tell you, the downpipe concerned me even before buying the kit, and I did ask Brian the questions and he says it will fit.

I'm less worried about the air filter since this won't be a street car but will let you know how it goes.

In hindsight, a set of AFRs might have been a better option.

18. Geddy2112

Maybe, but to the best of my knowledge, the old high ports are the king of small block heads. You will make more power with those high ports. Call up Fox Lake, or JDS inductions. They will tell you.

As far as B & G, I was new to turbo when i bought his kit. I knew nothing. I don't have anything bad to say about his kit because he did the best he could and has the good reviews. But as i learned more and more, i wish i know then what i know now. Isn't that with everything in life. You live and you learn. I would of done many things differently. There is a huge mismatch between my exhaust ports and the header. I very unhappy about it, but at this point i will see what happens once my car is running. There is a science in header making besides just welding. As for the rest of the kit, well, you kinda just had to work and try and make changes if it does not fit perfect. You can read all the stuff i had to do on my build thread. It is very very difficult to make something like this when there are just so many variable between cars. I hope your kit fits very well.
    P.S good luck with your build, car looks great. motor looks nice. Have a lot of patients. It is your best tool.

19. mcj50

Made a lot of progress tonight. I have to give credit where credit is due....the downpipe looked like it wasn't going to fit, but fit PERFECTLY! One question, is that flat exhaust clamp used to connect the two sections of downpipe? We used that and it seemed to work but doesn't look like the most secure way of doing things. We had some trouble with the turbo bolts but resolved it by trimming their length. Going to work on the cold side this weekend.

20. mcj50

Most of the turbo kit is now installed. It is coming together nicely. The entire kit is installed but the cold side is still loose since I have to get the transmission cooler and fuel cooler in there and lines run. I also can't shut the hood due to the aluminum cold side pipe but haven't messed with it yet.

Another interesting issue is the pro-form electric fan won't fit with the back-breakingly expensive waterpump. Looks like I have to find a thinner fan to work with that, looking at a Flex-a-lite 118. Almost looks like it might run one day...

bridal-shoal