1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Pro-SC, Dec 26, 2022.

By Pro-SC on Dec 26, 2022 at 8:24 PM
  1. Pro-SC

Well I am finally starting a build thread on this car. It has been a long time coming and this car was the reason I joined this site. Had a lot of life got in the way problems while I was getting the parts together for this, mainly having to deal with osteoarthritis in my left hip. I was diagnosed when I was 45 and I had to wait until I was at least 55 before they would do it. Living in chronic pain is brutal and you end up losing friends as you tend to act like a dick sometimes as the pain gets to you some days. But I had the surgery a couple of years ago and it was a total game changer. Now my major issue on being so slow getting this car built is working long hours and being away from home during the week. Well let’s get on with it!

So I bought this car around 10 years ago from the original owner. Surprisingly the car came from the rust belt of Ontario but was driven out west in its first year. The owner had just completed university and became a chemical engineer. He took a job at Dow chemical here and the car was garage kept and not driven to much.
    He has a triple car garage with his and her beemers and in the middle on a rack was a factory five cobra he just built. The Thunderbird was sitting underneath looking for a new home. I took it for a drive and we made a deal right on the spot. The owner offered the car to his kids but they didn’t want it so I bought it.
    I drove the car for the first summer I had it and it drove great! The 2.3 had a stinger front mount intercooler and had a bit of power but I am a V8 guy and I made a plan to swap in a Windsor.

749DD67C-642C-43F9-86C4-B3973BCCA311.jpeg

Comments

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Pro-SC, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Pro-SC
      Pro-SC
      I got the other header finished and mounted. Have to say that I have never filled so much in my life! Adapter plates would have been so much easier but not sure how well they would have worked. The issue for me is how deep I would be able to get bolts from the ls manifold to the adapter. The plate would need to be thick at least 1/2” more likely 5/8” in order for me to feel comfortable. Silver82gt dropped by with his matching silver F150 and that gave me a break from the filing, always feel free to drop by anytime Kent.
      So now I have to make another bracket for the overflow tank and then I will rivet up the other panel and mount that headlight bucket cover.
      Then I have a few detail items to finish up front. I ordered some coil relocation brackets and will mount those too when the brackets show up. After that I will remount the turbo and start on the up pipes.
      So it took a while but LMR was in touch with scat and the direct shipped me the proper pistons for the 331 kit, but somebody screwed up and they got shipped to Louisville Kentucky, pretty far from Edmonton, Alberta! They reshipped me another set and they should be here on Monday. My eBay score is supposed to show up then too, looking forward to getting that. The upper is still in Montana waiting for me to get it but I guess I will just get them to ship it to me. I have pretty much everything I need for that motor except I forgot to order head bolts. I am looking forward to getting that project moving ahead but don’t have any space to work on it! Still looking at moving into a place with a bigger garage and more parking space, I really hope that happens this summer or fall.

IMG_1080.jpeg

IMG_1082.jpeg

IMG_1078.jpeg
    2. 01BlueCrew5.4
    3. Pro-SC
      Pro-SC
      For ebay headers they are pretty decent. The welds look great, 1/2” flange that was not warped and when I cut the flange nothing shifted. I wanted to try them as I like the log style for all the extra room it gives. Hopefully they will stand the test of time and not crack. Wish I could make my own headers though, design them perfect for your own set up.
    4. Pro-SC
      Pro-SC
      So a couple of weekends ago I was doing more trimming on the right header flange in order to fit a socket on the plugs and I had to trim so much away that there just wasn’t enough meat left at the mounting points, so I had to give up on them. I was so bummed out about that as I had put a lot of time and effort into making them work. I mean hours of filling that half inch thick flange, it wouldn’t have been bad if I had a mill or some other less labour intensive way of doing it but I don’t. You Chevy guys don’t realize how good you have it, I mean those headers looked so nice, great welds and the price is a 1/3 of what I have ordered. So I placed an order at stainless headers for there sbf log style manifolds. You can get them in the stock 2” bolt pattern, 2.5” and 3” as well as the TFS high port diagonal pattern. I was thinking of going with the diagonal pattern flange
      But the flange is big and didn’t look the best for plug clearance so I ordered the 3” flange which looks good. I was so frustrated with the whole deal that I didn’t work on the car the past couple of weekends, instead doing work that I had been putting off on my truck. Should have just ordered these from the beginning but was hopeful I could make the ls headers work, especially for the price. Will be posting more regular updates soon.
      IMG_1091.jpeg

IMG_1092.jpeg

IMG_1093.jpeg

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1095.jpeg
      Last edited: Jun 4, 2024
      BBR, nxcoupe and silver82GT like this.
    5. silver82GT
      silver82GT
      Can't wait to see them. I have wanted a set for awhile but the price is high. How long is the wait time?
    6. Pro-SC
      Pro-SC
      They only said a minimum of two weeks for them to be built, so hopefully that doesn’t turn into 2 months! You know how that goes….
      BBR, nxcoupe and silver82GT like this.
    7. Pro-SC
      Pro-SC
      So those manifolds came in a while back, still have issues with plug clearance but they should work with some mods, those heads must have the plugs slightly different than others. They have been a pia, wish I would have used some 11r heads but it is what it is. As some of you know I have been looking for a decent place with a decent garage for some time. Looking in my price range has been tough. I have been wanting to move out of the city and into a nice place that I can retire into in a few years. I have come across some really decent places, some with no garage but on a big lot, the sell so fast it’s crazy. Where I live in Canada we have some of the least expensive housing in the country but that is changing. So many people are moving here from all across the country and the immigration from outside countries is stupid, houses are getting bid up and I figured I better make a move soon. I found a cool place out at a lake, it’s not lake front but a block from the shore. It is so nice out there and some really beautiful places. So this place is almost a Barndimonium it has a small living quarters with a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. The shop has 14’ ceilings and has never been used as a shop! Expoxy floors are super clean. That’s going to change and looking forward to getting a lift. Here are some pics, I have spent almost all my free time looking at places over the past while, that’s why the car hasn’t been getting worked on much.
      Got to get it as a roller to move to new shop!

IMG_1152.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1157.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg
      nxcoupe, BBR, 01BlueCrew5.4 and 3 others like this.
    8. Russell
      Russell
      That's very nice! Not sure my wife would like it....
    9. Pro-SC
      Pro-SC
      I am divorced no kids, so that’s why I can do it. I do plan on putting a home up in a few years when I retire and I do have my trailer also, it’s a 30’ with dual slides so I can sleep in that also if I want.
    10. Russell
      Russell
      I have threatened to move out to my 2 car shop before it has a full bath downstairs, and a bonus room upstairs. Get a fridge, microwave and maybe a hot plate. I would have to get rid of some of the car parts I will probably never use or sleep on the pool table, but I could make it as long as the kids don't bring their toys.
      nxcoupe, 01BlueCrew5.4 and Pro-SC like this.