1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1979 RX7 LS 5.3 + S400SX3 (75mm)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Forcefed86, Jun 6, 2012.

1. dabeetereater

sweet project man looking good bet its gonna haul some a**

2. Forcefed86

CF Hood finally came in. Got rid of the hood pins and installed a factory latch. Just need to find some street legal tires and I can go try to tag this thing.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. lblevins

Awesome!

4. Forcefed86

Shot down on the highway patrol inspection when I went to get a tag. For not having an odometer of all things. Guy told me it didn't evenneed to work it just had to be there. Despite the title saying it's "mileage exempt". Makes no sense to me but if thats all it takes I'll count myself lucky and velcro the bastard on the dash for a day. ;)

5. lblevins

Lmao... Yeah thats ridiculous....

6. Forcefed86

Well I cruised out to the track. Didn't know tomorrow was a mako event and only got two runs.

I've had no WOT tuning before tonight.

8.5 psi (as low as It would go) it went 11.2 @ 125. Lazy 1.7 60 ft.

It launched ok, then bogged pretty hard in the 10.5 AFR range from 3500-4600 or so and cleaned out a little at 5300 where I shifted. My AFR looked to be in check the hwole run can't figure out why it bogged. I'm leaning towards timing. My map has a big dip in the middle the slowly ramps up.

[​IMG]#ad

Tried to turn up the boost to 12psi and it just fell on its face. I think this is because timing went from 15* at 8psi to 11-12* at 12 psi. AFR was in the mid 10's.

I've heard some people with the dished 5.3 with 6.0 heads needed a ton of timing to get it running well. I think that may be my issue. With the dished pistons, 6.0 heads and zr1 cam my Dynamic CR is under 7:1. I need to get this on a dyno and play a bit.

Still a fun night... and I drove it home. :D
    [​IMG]#ad

7. Forcefed86

Swapped in a better flowing air filter. Made absolutly no noticable difference, but I feel better about it. :biggrin-new:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. lblevins

Keep it up... My buddys mustang with a 5.3 and 317 heads was sluggish on 1o psi. He lost a bearing in it sold it and put a stock 4.8 in it and at 10 psi it was ridiculously faster. Then he built a flat top 5.3 with older 5.3 heads and netted a 11 or so compression ratio after they were shaved and now on 10 psi with a ls6 cam and springs its nasty. I know they have a really good tune on it after 8-9 dyno pulls to get it right but its nice.. All on pump gas with a direct port methanol kit that comes in at 6psi and up... He has alot of tuning in his setup but not much money so im pretty much trying to duplicate most of his setup.

9. Forcefed86

I wasn't expecting alot at 8psi. Planned to crank it up pretty high once it's all ironed out. To be honest I was surprised it trapped 125. The car bogged so badly mid track it felt like a throttle stop. I think it could easily pick up 2-3mph at 8lbs with the new timing curve. Put the slicks back on and launch it hard and it should run mid 10's on 8psi. :grin:

Finally back from a weeks vacation and got a chance to look at the car a bit. It fell on its face the second run because it popped off a coupler. Not sure if it was the t-brake launch I tried the second time out or what. The turbo and piping all have beads, used the good "T" bolt clamps as well. I may just be tweaking the front of the car too much. Didn't think I'd have an issue with couplers at 12psi. I think I'll have to remove the bumper to re-clamp it, hope this isn't an ongoing battle.

[​IMG]#ad

10. snapc3

Well there's your problem haha. 10s on 8psi would be awesome, gives me hope for 317s on a 5.3. I may have missed it, whats that car weigh?

11. Forcefed86

I reattached the coupler and it held to 17psi. Rolling into it at 45 in high gear it smoked the 275/50 hoosier DR's on the street. :)

Not sure exactly. With an iron headed SBC and th350 the old owner claimed it was right at 2400lbs (without driver). Hoping the alum. heads, glass hood,small battery, plastic intake, and p-glide cancel out the added weight of the new fuel cell and turbo junk. I did add a passenger seat and glass to both doors as well. Guessing around 2650 race weight?

I'll try to swing by the dump and get it weighed soon.

The 317 heads should flow similar to the 243's everyone is always raving about. Just need a bit more boost to compensate for the lower compression. 1-2 psi should cover it.

12. lblevins

Heck yeah, 17psi must be nice... Most I ran on my 71 nova turbo ls1 was 12psi and it was a tire burner.. =)

13. jaredsamurai

So is the tune coming along nicely? Have you thought about using a hump hose silicone in your problem area? Give a lil more flex?

14. Forcefed86

This is the coupler that popped off. It is a "hump" hose but it's rubber and not silicone. I think the "hump" area may be ballooning under boost. I tightened it up a good deal but I'm not sure how long it will hold. The coupler was an oddball size I happened to have laying around. 3.25 or something. Stretched around the lip well but I think it's to large. I'll looking getting a silicone replacement. I think I need to machine down the lip a bit more as well so a 3" coupler will fit.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. TDmkr496

Isn't that a V-band flange? you could just weld a flange on the end of the charge pipe and clamp it on.

16. Forcefed86

You can see it better in post #24. If my old post was correct its a 3.0 to 3.5 coupler. I'm sure this is why it popped off. I need a 3.0-3.25 or maybe even a straight 3.0.

It was a vband flange at one point. It’s an oddball size though and BW wants like $70+ for the flange/clamp kit. So I ground the v band down to what you see in the pics. Should work fine once I get the correct coupler on it. May even be ok now that I cranked down harder on the T-clamp. Not sure if it was pressure related or due to twisting of the frame at this point either.

17. Forcefed86

Got this sucker dialed in at 12psi, Feels good! Track visit tonight...

Also picked up a "hour meter" and used some paint thinner to remove the "hours" lettering on it. Hoping this will pass the odometer inspection part of the test and I can finally get this thing tagged legally. It's insured, but I've been sporting my daily drivers tags on the brief cruise to the track.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Also setup a $15 oil pressure gauge to monitor exhaust back pressure. Got a bunk sending unit however so I'm waiting on a replacement from the seller. It's the tiny gauge on the top.

[​IMG]#ad

18. Forcefed86

Got a good 7 passes in. First pass was an 11.0 @ 130 12 lbs 18* 10.0 AFR.(well maxed out my AFR gauge anyway) Kept leaning it out 4% and raising boost slowly. Last pass was a 9.83 @ 143 @ 17lbs leaned out to 10.8 AFR 16* of timing. 5lb launch on the brake. Pretty wussy 60'. Lots of room fro improvement there! I think it will take a few more lbs of boost as well. Little more aggressive timing curve may not be a bad idea either.

Drove it to the track and back home.

I did have a bit of an issue with oil spatter. Spraying a bit of oil out the breather and one valve cover. Need to work on the crank case evac setup a bit. Other than that it was a great night.

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  19. jaredsamurai

Awesome!!

20. Forcefed86

The car earned some tint breaking into the single digits. Can't see the cell and cage from the back now. [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad