1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1979 RX7 LS 5.3 + S400SX3 (75mm)

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Forcefed86, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Forcefed86

These guys..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380445472261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Well I took both window crank assys apart. I was able to salvage the passenger side, So that window now works. The driver side door window was lexan and screwed onto the door frame. :thumbsdown: When I had both the lexan and the glass window out I was surprised they were within a half pound of each other. So I ordered up a used crank assy and glass window from ebay. Also removed all the misc stickers/decals and finished the trans cooler lines.

Then took a maiden voyage cruise around the neighborhood. Feels like a death trap on wheels!

Took a quick video. Made boost for the first time! Don't think i'll have any issues building boost. This is almost 5lbs and only 3/4 throttle on the brake. Through a 2.5" muffler. Once I get the exhaust dump setup and anti-lag it should spool up pretty instantly. Sounds like a jet! :D

http://youtu.be/uukGWUnQOWw

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  2. Deimos

Keep up the good work. Sucks about the wastegates.

3. azstangboy

Re: 1979 RX7 LS1 + S400SX3 (75mm)

cool build, looks good! :2thumbs:

4. Forcefed86

Thanks, the company actually sent me another complete 60mm gate. I think I could just use a light spring and not even have it boost referenced. Either way I have another 60mm gate on the way free of charge.:grin:

5. denmah

hell yes turbo noises!

6. 99TTGT

cool.!
    love the 1st gen

7. Deimos

That is great news.

8. Forcefed86

I'm calling the exhaust done. The new gate they sent me was crap as well. I used parts from the both of them to make one working gate. I wouldn't suggest "godspeed" products. They are pretty much crap. Not that it wasn't expected. I also cut the supplied Wg spring in half and heated it with a torch to weaken it quite a bit. Shouldn't take much boost to open it.

Also installed an exhaust crank case evac kit. It's pulling vac at idle. And gets much stronger in the revs.

Heres the finished product.

[​IMG]#ad

Wrapped

[​IMG]#ad

Video of the WG actuating with some shop air.

http://youtu.be/X2fiLfKN5AM

Hard to see but the evac kit is pulling vac at idle.

Also got new window crank assys, glass, door handles And pop rivited some alum door covers on. Now both windows work on this "street car".

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Installed some $50 ebay coil overs to raise the front end a couple inches. While I was playing with the suspension I figure I should upgrade the brakes. Ordered a set of drilled and slotted rotors with some HAWK HPS pads.

[​IMG]#ad

Wrapped the dump tube and brake lines.

[​IMG]#ad

Ordered a cheap ebay oil catch can. Came with no baffles. Was just straight in and out. Installed some brass SOS pads and tubing to help baffle the oil mist. Should work well now. I have the same setup on my other car. Not sure if I will even use it now that I am running an exhaust evac setup. If anyone wants It I'll sell it for $30.
    [​IMG]#ad

9. Forcefed86

Found a hood on craigslist for $20. Cut a bunch of the webbing out and spent most of Saturday sanding and filling it. Moved some things around and was able to get the stock hood to fit.

[​IMG]#ad

Decided to play with this plasti dip stuff everyone is talking about. Still drying here. I hope it smooths out overnight. Looks streaky now.

[​IMG]#ad

10. bluchev

Maybe i missed something here but why the hell do you have a waste gate on your down pipe?

11. lblevins

Looks good! I like the progress!

12. Forcefed86

Thats not where it goes? ;) (Scroll up to post 77)

13. Mike86Stang

coming together great man! keep up the great work.. can't wait to see you finish her up!

14. Forcefed86

Uncle is helping out with the head light dilemma. He designed some headlight and signal 'pods' to install on the back side of the bumper. I'll install some tinted lexan on the back side of the bumper and the 'pods' will press up tightly against it from the back. I think its going to work out really well. Each light uses a 55w H3 bulb. I'll have the bottom as a low beam and the top as hi-beams, hope this will be good enough to pass the out of state inspection. A standard h4 headlight bulb is 100w, so I'm hoping 2 of these will be bright enough for night driving. I'm sure I'll end up running all 4 of them at night.

Bar napkin sketch'¦
    [​IMG]#ad

Rough cut in bumper. Found bumper full of bondo, had to weld in some additional metal to make sure we had a sturdy frame to mount to.

[​IMG]#ad

Semi-complete pod.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. Forcefed86

Passenger seat installed

[​IMG]#ad

Made alot of progress on the lights as well. Finished up the bumper body work today. Plan to have it all wired up by next weekend.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. Forcefed86

Heads lights came out pretty good I think... Just waiting on Tint

[​IMG]#ad

17. stumpjumper

I was wondering how that was gonna turn out, couldn't quite visualize it. Looks good!

18. Forcefed86

Came out better than I thought it would. Not sure whats up with the crooked bumper I'll have to look into that.

&feature=youtu.be[/URL]

19. freaky

nice headlights

20. Forcefed86

Made another HVAC cold air intake this weekend. You start out with a couple aluminum 90* bends. I found you can pull the segments apart and add to them for one longer seamless piece. This also let me eliminate the 'crinkled' end pieces. There's even a rolled bead on the end or your couplers. These are very strong and light weight when done. I've made 4 of these now and they seem to hold up great. I beef up the area where the hose clamp will go with about 4 layers of glass. The rest is just a single strip and a lot of resin. Sand to your desired finish and paint. Mine is hidden in the fender so I didn't spend a lot of time trying to make it look pretty.
    If you want it to look more professional you could try just enforcing the ends with glass/resin. Then dipping the whole assy in polyurethane. I think that would turn out slick.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013