1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1974 Dodge Dart Sport 360 Single Turbo

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Prine, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Prine

well, just wanted to update and say....I'm still breathing...and working towards this. No longer using a driverside Magnum Manifold flipped on the passenger side. No longer routing around all factory accessories.
    I AM going to keep it simple.

My whole build is tied to my intentions to not make this any more complicated than is required to make it happen.

Like I said....I sold my mock up car....so some obstacles came up..

My GF found out we were Pregnant....and we moved from Texas....back to Oregon.

Determined to not quit
    I went a new direction and bought a engine stand to visualize and fit/mockup the existing pieces and materials I do have. Got another daily driver, and getting ready to put the Dart Sport down for the fitment and mockup stage.

Acquired and built my Blowthrough Carb
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Bought and recieved an oil filter relocation kit.

My SON....was born 5/12/2015...and is nearing 2 months old now.

Things are finally settling down and I have had some more time to organize for the next stage.

Here are a couple of update pics....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 70wayfarer

congrats on the new baby boy.
    did you consider using block huggers. keep up the work

3. rdakota340

Congrats on the new addition to the family and keep us posted on progress don't get in a hurry got son to think about there will be plenty of time for the build.

4. Prine

Thanks Guys. We named him Jonathan, after my Great Grandfather that lived in Oregon till 1872. He is absolutely Perfect.
    [​IMG]#ad

So, I got busy..... put the Dart Sport on 4 jack stands and removed the exhaust and passenger side manifold.
    I have 73 340 exhaust manifolds on the car....and I also have another spare 73 340 Drivers side manifold....and I am keeping my power steering.
    I figured it would be Most Logical...to use what currently works and bring the cross-over pipe beneath the oil pan and up and along side the passenger side head and then a 90* turn up into the Turbo.

Behold:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Working on tying in the exhaust port tubes now....updates to come as they happen...then onto the wastegate, and down pipe....

5. Prine

worked on Cylinder #4 tubing today...
    [​IMG]#ad

here are the saddles...
    [​IMG]#ad

6. Dusterbnb

Looking good! :corn: Just out of curiosity, are you going to add more support to the exhaust on the turbo side? Because, that looks like one heavy turbo, and from me working on semis, I see that the weight of the turbo breaks manifold bolts all the time from bouncing down the road, and they are mounted directly to the manifold.

7. AirForceRacer

Congrats on the Kiddo and keeping up with the project. I like what your doing on the driver side. Interested on how the passenger side will work in the end. This is definitely give me motivation to get moving on my Duster.

8. jaquetapus

Very cool project. Like the homemade header so far. Any updates?

9. dwhip361

I like that header setup. That's what I like about this site, you can see all the different ways to do something. I will be following this thread. Keep the pictures coming.

10. Prine

Well, stopped by to check in,.....

Pulling the car back into the shop Friday to resume mockup/fitment....

Finally FEEL like I have all the parts together and can confidently move forward....

Shooting for April 2016 crankup.....

The last 8 months have been a pleasure with my new son....he just started crawling last week.

11. 70wayfarer

enjoy them while they're young.
    great to see you have a completion date in mind. good work.

12. Prine

Well...I'm 8 days into working....let's see if I can get some progress pictures uploaded

13. Prine

I'm not able to attach pictures at this time....standby

14. naturalextraction

Just a note from my observation: First off congratulations on the new kiddo!
    The headers from the manifold to the exhaust should definitely be attached pointing as much toward the Turbo adaptor plate as possible. They are pointing straight down and will cause all sorts of turbulence and back pressure issues. If you'll notice on log type manifolds the extending ports from the cylinder heads all curve toward the direction of the collector or exiting gasses. Trying to create as much laminar flow as possible is to increase efficiency. It will be noticeable for spool up more so on a dyno of course. Hope that helps.