1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build 1017rwhp/1019 rwtq

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by fiero1985, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Mustangbrad94gt

Re: 1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build

and now its here, that is too cool, special thanks to blownshovel :2thumbs:

2. fiero1985

wow thats too cool glad to be in that section...thanks

Well decided to bite the bullet and go with a belt driven setup off the crank to turn a remote cable drive pump.

Ordered a new damper from proffesional products so I can utilize the 3 bolt face and a drive mandrel from aeromotive. I will have to machine the hub side of the mandrel to fit the ls damper but thats no big deal.

Called up Waterman and picked up their drive spud setup and remote mount bracket. Will have to be creative as far as mounting it but there is room so I am sending the car off in 2 weeks to the chassis shop to fabricate a mount for the pump.

Picked up the waterman racing sprint 700 mechanical pump. it flows 6.8gpm so over 400gph and will maintain 100 psi line pressure no problem across the entire range. I really hated to put the money out but I know I will have a fuel system that will never need upgrading no matter what I do with the car and I no longer have sleepless nights in fear of one electric pump starting to fade off and lean my engine out while in the boost.

Anxious to get it all on the car when it gets here and then get it back to the dyno to see what my injector duty cycle is at and have brian add some more cranking fuel to the car so I can get it to start up easy until the pump is making pressure from engine rpm

will keep it updated as to results.

3. bumblebee

Read the whole thread!

This car is awsome! :2thumbs:

Looking forward to see some times at the track!

4. fiero1985

Update on Cable drive fuel pump setup. Due to having a stock fbody balancer I had to get a new balancer to run the mandrel setup to run the cable drive.

I picked up a professional products balancer since they have a 3 bolt hole face. Then I got an aeromotive BBC mandrel. The two will not work together but the bolt holes line up. I took the two pieces over to Mike Rush at MM Head services and he put the mandrel on the lathe and made the two fit together like they were meant to.

Very cool how it works. I have a Waterman Sprint 700 pump on order (flows 6.8gpm/408gph) cable, drive adapter,mount and setup for belt up front on the way.

Still need to get a new weldon regulator then Ill be in business.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

5. Mustangbrad94gt

any updates on the new pump?

6. fiero1985

Should have some pics and update this next week, fab bing brackets and mounts its looking pretty good I'm excited

7. fiero1985

taking car back to dyno tomorrow with new fuel system setup to check the tune and make some more pulls, will post up pics/vids of setup and dyno time tomorrow

8. Mustangbrad94gt

looks like it's time to bust the 1k hp, good luck at dyno session :chacha:

9. BlownShovel

X2 good luck

10. fiero1985

Both good and bad occurred today....

Picked the car up from chassis shop after having some brackets made up for some parts and then having some custom fab fuel pump things finished. The cable drive system is bad ass. Even sitting over night and with the tune untouched from the electric pumps the car fires up almost instantly or very little cranking.

Took the car over to Dynotune and had brian look at the tune (needed much work due to the new fuel pump) but its a good thing my injector duty cycles will go down by more than 30-40%

Got it up on the rollers brian worked with the tune a bit and got it starting real easy and made a couple pulls on the wastegate spring. 6 psi the car made 570whp which is a great improvement.

The bad:

Oil leak :( had to cut the dyno short until next monday. For some reason I reused a very old (150k plus) valley pan gasket and not sure if crankcase pressure took its toll or what but it started pissing oil from the gasket that was visibly pushed out. and Ive had enough of these valve covers also. I ordered a set of billet covers from Nasty Performance and bought a new valley gasket from the dealer today.

Overall it was minor in nature but still shitty, will be back out to the dyno next mon/tues to give it another shot..chasing the 4 digit whp number, feel pretty good now that the fuel system is beyond overkill and will never be maxed with my setup.

some pics of setup. I also mounted the coolant catch can in the trunk. Im going to run a -4 from the front overflow port on radiator to trunk so if the system ever does pressurize the water will be behind my rear tires

And also bought a kurt urban vapor system and had a custom mount made for the box, still need to run the lines.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

11. Mustangbrad94gt

570@6psi, :bow:

12. fiero1985

Ended getting a bung welded in breather and the vally cover, then welded a little tray under it to shield oil misting. Hoping to just help breathing under heavy boost pressures. New valve covers from nasty performance will be here Monday then see how it goes.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

13. TDmkr496

I had to make a very similar setup for my buddys LS-3 powered turbo car. He had a 1/4 hose coming out of that plate and it wasnt enough, it pushed the valve cover gasket out and blew oil all over the place. Once I machined that plate and added the breather hose and tank, no more issues.

14. fiero1985

Heading back to the dyno again this week to get the tune worked on from the the fuel pump change. I changed a couple things on the car as well. Got rid of those shitty GMPP valve covers and picked up a set of quality Nasty Performance Billet covers. I got the Kurt Urban vapor system all plumbed in and got the new breather line ran from the valley cover. Trying to get everything all together for this weekend goodguys hot rod show.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. fiero1985

Took the car back out to Dynotune Motorsports and Brian put it up on the rollers, worked on the tune some more and amazed at how much the new fuel pump setup really helped the car, we had 4 pulls over 1000 whp with the highest being 1051 by accident. The final numbers that we settled on is 1017 whp and 1019 tq @ 17psi which is the same boost I made the 930whp at. With the help of brian really working on the tune and aid of the endless fuel supply injector duty cycle also went down to 75% and IAT were around 120* with it being over 90* and shitty airquality.

Very Excited with my FINAL numbers

Also the addition of the valley vent worked out GREAT! No more issues at all with crankcase pressure. Only a few small bugs I want to work out now and then just enjoy the car.

Here is the graph will post vid here in a few

[​IMG]#ad

16. fiero1985

and the vid

[YOUTUBE]z8mV8SrykZk[/YOUTUBE]

&hd=1[/url]

17. BlownShovel

Congratulations! Plenty of power and a good job tuning it thick air. What was the accidental 1051? Good job.

18. fiero1985

thanks.....me being a jackhole with the AMS 500, I misread some numbers, boost spiked real quick to 23psi and let out real quick :bang:

19. BlownShovel

I suspected uncontrolled boost. glad you saw it and got out of it = even better job :bow:

20. fiero1985

Pics from the car at the Goodguys hot rod show this past weekend, man it was hot

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad