1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build 1017rwhp/1019 rwtq

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by fiero1985, Dec 21, 2010.

1. fiero1985

Re: 1972 Nova Turbo Lsx Build

Progress Update....

Its been a while due to work overload this summer and some motivational issues with the heat but its picking up steam again! Got all the front end sheet metal back on the car, Figured out the accessory drive and belt setup, car is now in the process of getting the turbo stuff all built. I wanted to make sure I am not limited to the 76mm with the build so there has been a great deal of planning going on. I am mocking up a pt4788 so when I build my next motor over the next year I can shoot for 1000whp+

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 6772owner

That looks awesome! I love the look of the LSx in the vintage muscle cars, cant wait to see the turbo hanging out in there as well. :)

3. pokerface

what did you use for accessories?

4. Nice Chevelle

I commend you for alot of great work !! Looking forward to your completion. :cheers:

check your PM

5. turboventura

i almost forgot about this build, glad to see your making progress on it again. What motor mounts/oil pan did you use?

6. fiero1985

I used ebay adapters and solid motor mounts with tall stands, the oil pan is the autokraft sheet metal pan (well worth the coin)

More of a final product of the intercooler mounting and started getting ideas for mounting the turbo. The turbo mounted currently is the pt4788 that will be used next year once the built 6.0l is done. So everything is being fitted with that turbo in mind but with the 5.3 the mp 76 q trim will be used. in the next 1-2 weeks the hotside will be done and progress will be picked up. Its starting to come together

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. fiero1985

progress update:

Well I have made a ton of forward progress on the car over the past month or two. The entire hot side is complete. and the cold side was completed as well. At first I was going to be using all mild steel but went to stainless and very pleased that I did on the hot side. Got the coils custom mounted, twin a 1000 pumps mounted, driveshaft hoop and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff done. Got the new driveshaft made and installed, mounted remote trans cooler and shifter mount fabbed up. I am excited to get the forged 370 in it and get everything plumbed and wired then hit the rollers.

I am currently changing the one intercooler pipe to use the pro flo intake since I will be putting in the forged 6.0 before I get it tuned here at the first of the year and shoot for 1000+ RWHP.

I may be switching to a cable drive fuel pump or goto a magna fuel pump along with upping from the 83lb injectors to 160's as well. So I will have no issues making 1000-1200 on corn. I am not going to stop until I make it deep into the 8's.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. fiero1985

Got the new intake intercooler pipe finished

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. fiero1985

Engine block goes to machine shop tomorrow to get the bottom end all machined and assembled.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Cant stop admiring the Allpro heads that are going on this engine. The work they do there at allpro is second to none.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. Turbohwagon

I love the intake...

11. stockgto

Seeing that intake I take it no air filter?

That's no fun you gotta cruise it around on the street and not have to worry about ingesting small rocks into the compressor blades.

12. fiero1985

I may run a screen. I have had several more heavily driven turbo cars on the street and never had a single problem with no filter/screen.

Not worried :cheers:

13. 2turbonova

I've decided to ditch my big block in favor of the ls engine did you try the truck manifolds? Did they look like they could be made to work forward and down?

14. fiero1985

I have seen it attempted more than once and it never works. It sucks because you can make big power for cheap using them

15. TTFBDY

LS4 (FWD monte etc) fit I believe.

Trucks look like this

May be able to weld v bands on instead.

6.0 exh manifold in nova.jpg #ad

16. turboventura

The novas frame rails are kind of hi and tight to the block, and the location of the upper A-arms make it hard for any down and forward setup to fit. Thanks for the links though they still give me hope!

17. 2turbonova

The ls4 fit but you have to get two of the front side manifolds and run the pass side down and forward and drivers side up and forward it looks kinda goofy. The guy with that yellow nova got the truck manifolds to fit after switching out his subframe.

18. b20mr2

Were those the ebay sheetmetal valve covers you had before the chevy performance ones ? did you have fitment issues ,,like not covering the rail on the head ? i had problems with mine sent them back and just ran stock ..nice car !!

19. denmah

i did a ventura with stock manifolds, backwards and upside down, work great.

20. denmah

[​IMG]#ad